• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A* Grading Example

Reaction score
Many people have been asking about the new grade policy. In fact this is the most frequent qst that i'm coming across. I replied many pm's too but here is an example for those who still have confusions after reading my earlier topic on the new grade policy.

Assume there are 2 papers of subject X. P1 has 40 marks. And p2 has 60 marks. If in July CIE sets the minimum number of marks required for an A in p1 as 32/40 and for a B as 29/40. Likewise it sets A at 52/60 in P2 and B as 48/60 in P2. So, you need a minimum of this to achieve the required grade in each paper. Now, CIE will total your number of marks. One thing is for sure the minimum required to get A* will be set as many marks above the sum of the Grade A minimum as the grade B is below it. In this example:

for B: 29 + 48 = 77/100

FOR "A" 32 + 52 = 84/100.

Now CIE will subtract the minimum for a B from A.

Hence, 84-77 = 7 marks.

These will be added to the sum of A grade marks i.e. 84 + 7 = 91 marks. Therefore, 91/100 will be the minimum for an A*.

So, you can see it is not necessary to get a minimum in each paper. If you got say 31/40 in P1 it'll be given grade B according to our assumptions above. And if you got 60/60 in P2 you'll get an A in p2. But the total will be 31 + 60 = 91 marks. Hence, you've achieved the minimum for A* .

The minimum for A* that is 91/100 in our example will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 90%.

The minimum for A in our example 84 will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 80% .

Thats how it will work.

Reaction score
Does this work the same way for IGCSEs? Or only for A levels? I thought percentage uniform marks were going to be used only on A levels. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
IGCSE, O level, AS level and A level, applies to all!

Reaction score
Thanks for your post, but i need to know if i got 20/35% in math paper 2 and 60/65% in math paper 4 so if i add the percentages it will be 20 + 60 = 80 % what does that mean ? whatt will be the grade ? ill appreciate your help :)

Reaction score
What percentages you'll get and what grade they will represent will be decided by CIE in July. So, nothing can be said about that.

Reaction score
I have a question Zohaib

If I got for example 97/100 in a certain subject, which is equivilant to A* , my percentage uniform mark will be rounded to 90%??
I mean if a person got A* at a range from 90/100 till 100/100 which is A*, then it would be written in his certificate A* with a percentage of 90% or he will have a percentage written down from 90 - 100??

Reaction score
No, Cambridge will divide the percentage after 90% which will depend on them. So, if you score more than the minimum you'll get more than 90% .

Reaction score
so what's the importance then of the weight of every paper ??
e.g biology paper 1 is 30% and paper 6 20% and paper 3 is 50%???

Reaction score
hi there i know u get alot of these pms nowadays, but listen up wat if a guy got 100/100 will 90% still be written near his A* or will a larger percantage be awarded?

thx in advance

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
hey listen they just calculate the percentage if you get 98% there will be 98% on statement of results and since there is a curve it is possible to get 100% without scoring full marks in each paper,understand !!! now better stop thinking abt the grades,curve..etc.just prepare for ur exam well and think abt results later.Remember u can only score if u study so prepare well rather than depending on the curve.do ur best and leave the rest to Allah,keep praying!GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!
THIS IS FOR EVERYONE!!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
no problem i just said that because thinking abt the grades after doing the exam will make you sad so its better to prepare well b4 the exam!!dont forget 2 pray to Allah 4 success

Reaction score
but i tried this out with the add maths grad boundaries .. it doenst work out for the nov 09.... the grade boundary requied for A* exceeds the max np. marks possible!!! please do check again and please let me know if i am wrong