• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Carrier proteins simply 'carry' the molecules across the membrane and the process may be active or passive. It is important to note here that it is just not the 'type of molecule' that influences what membrane protein is used by a molecule for transport. Other factors such as temperature, electrochemical gradient etc. also influence what molecules go through which protein.
Channel proteins however are distinguished for actively transporting a specific type of 'ion' across them.
You're sayying exactly the opposite thing bro :/ In the book its written clearly that facilitated diffusion takes place across channel proteins and active transport thru carrier proteins.:/

Reaction score
Reaction score
Q20:-(D)
It says Used in Photosynthesis (used by Plants)
The first three are Not Used By plants.. SO just add them up and Substract From total.! Which ends up to Be 23 500J!
If u Need Detailed Explanation do Tell Me! :)
Wait but you're getting the answer only by adding the last 3 values in the table.You dont need to add the first 3 and subtract from the total :p

Reaction score
Hello:) can someone please explain the following :
How to solve q 24 and 40 !
And why q38 ans should be A not B ?!
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w10_qp_13.pdf
Q24: 40 Units on Eyepeice cover 1 unit on Micrometer which is equal to 0.1mm or 100 micrometer.
Not it asks for 10 micrometer.. simply use ratios..
40 : 100
X : 10
X= 4 (ans is B).

Q40: Multiply all Three Values for Given Specie... Then You end up With B :p!

Q38) So You understand Sun to Plants is Least.. so ans is A or B
In A it says Decomposers would get 2nd Least amount of energy which is True
Because There is Too Much energy lost in respiration of Producer+Primary+Secondary consumer.
Hence Least Energy remains For Decomposers..!
Hope I Helped :)

Reaction score
Okay.. I wanted to Look More logical :p :p!!
Yeh theres logic in adding the bottom 3 too.Photosynthesis is the process whereby light energy is converted to chemical energy.so u can see that the bottom 3 processes are converting chemical energy to other forms.So youll add them up to get the chemical energy.

Reaction score
Yeh theres logic in adding the bottom 3 too.Photosynthesis is the process whereby light energy is converted to chemical energy.so u can see that the bottom 3 processes are converting chemical energy to other forms.So youll add them up to get the chemical energy.
Why didnt You Think of This Before Asking the Question :p!

Reaction score
Look.First the total energy content of Kelp consumed i.e by all organisms will be determined.And then the energy content of Kelp consumed only by sea urchins will be determined.So the Percentage of energy transfer can be calculated by (Energy content of kelps consumed by urchins/energy content of kelp consumed by all organisms) multiplied by 100%.I hope you understand :)

Reaction score
Acha tell me how does the casparian strip help with generation of root pressure ?
Root pressure is built up due to osmosis s dthe difference in water potential. So you basically explain how water moves through the symbolist route in the endodermis and how it leaves the previous cells it moved through(including the root hair cells) having a lower water potential, so water moves from the soil into the root because of the difference in root pressure

Reaction score
Q24: 40 Units on Eyepeice cover 1 unit on Micrometer which is equal to 0.1mm or 100 micrometer.
Not it asks for 10 micrometer.. simply use ratios..
40 : 100
X : 10
X= 4 (ans is B).

Q40: Multiply all Three Values for Given Specie... Then You end up With B :p!

Q38) So You understand Sun to Plants is Least.. so ans is A or B
In A it says Decomposers would get 2nd Least amount of energy which is True
Because There is Too Much energy lost in respiration of Producer+Primary+Secondary consumer.
Hence Least Energy remains For Decomposers..!
Hope I Helped :)
Thank you soooooo much (y)

Reaction score
q14 1 is correct as you will be able to thee the tail and Head
2 the arrangement can be seen (its like you cut a human body in half you will be able to see where the stomach is :p just an example)
3 length :/ it doesn't show anything about strength 'you can't see strength'
q20 whats the confusion here? can you let me know so i can explain better
q30 there is no Hemoglobin in plasma its only present in RBC so no carbaminohaemoglobin

Reaction score
2 the arrangement can be seen (its like you cut a human body in half you will be able to see where the stomach is :p just an example)
q30 there is no Hemoglobin in plasma its only present in RBC so no carbaminohaemoglobin

Thanks a lot :D
In Q20.....I believe that 2 is not correct as complementary base pairing doesn't occur in TRANSLATION ! that is way my answer was only 1,3and 4
soo ? how they say its correct ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Root pressure is built up due to osmosis s dthe difference in water potential. So you basically explain how water moves through the symbolist route in the endodermis and how it leaves the previous cells it moved through(including the root hair cells) having a lower water potential, so water moves from the soil into the root because of the difference in root pressure
what? i dint get it :/

Reaction score
Can you help with q38 & 40 of the same paper?
q30 there is no Hemoglobin in plasma its only present in RBC so no carbaminohaemoglobin [/quoteCPU