• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
ermm i don't know if it's because i lack knowledge abt the topic :oops:

see..when the composition of the glomerular filtrate is always same as that of blood plasma except that it has no proteins.. then how come in this case we see that conc. of urine increases...and why in the collecting duct the water is more??

Reaction score
XPFMember said:
ermm i don't know if it's because i lack knowledge abt the topic :oops:

see..when the composition of the glomerular filtrate is always same as that of blood plasma except that it has no proteins.. then how come in this case we see that conc. of urine increases...and why in the collecting duct the water is more??

glomerular filterate will not have LARGE proteins! it can have small ones!!!

urea and protein are different!
Urea, also called carbamide, is an organic chemical compound which essentially is the waste produced when the body metabolizes protein!!!

and the conc of urea in urine is increasing!!!not of urine!!!
The walls of collecting duct respond to changes in levels of ADH!!

The wide variation in water reabsorption levels for the collecting duct system reflects its dependence on hormonal activation. The collecting ducts, in particular, the outer medullary and cortical collecting ducts, are largely impermeable to water without the presence of antidiuretic hormone (ADH, or vasopressin).

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Jazak Allah Khairen!

so..is this correct: As the filtrate passes through the PCT , substances like glucose and amino acids are completely reabsorbed. Some of the water is also reabsorbed. Most of the urea stays in. Therefore, the concentration of urea in the urine becomes higher than that in the filtrate as seen by the values in the table!

Reaction score
XPFMember said:
Jazak Allah Khairen!

so..is this correct: As the filtrate passes through the PCT , substances like glucose and amino acids are completely reabsorbed. Some of the water is also reabsorbed. Most of the urea stays in. Therefore, the concentration of urea in the urine becomes higher than that in the filtrate as seen by the values in the table!
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Stuck in Biology?? Post your doubts here!!

Assalamoalaikum!

Please, help me with this question:
Describe the function of vasa recta.

Mark scheme points:
-removing water;
-from/ reabsorbed by collecting ducts;
-ref. to maintain water potential gradient (in medulla)

Jazakumullah Khair.. :)

Reaction score
Re: Stuck in Biology?? Post your doubts here!!

XPFMember said:
Assalamoalaikum!

Please, help me with this question:
Describe the function of vasa recta.

Mark scheme points:
-removing water;
-from/ reabsorbed by collecting ducts;
-ref. to maintain water potential gradient (in medulla)

Jazakumullah Khair.. :)

Vasa recta or vasa recta renis is the blood supply of the kidney, which forms capillaries in medulla!

FUNCTION-
-vasa recta has a hairpin bend so the rate of movement of substances is slow hence exchange is efficient!
-On the descending portion of the vasa recta, NaCl and urea are reabsorbed into the blood, while water is secreted. On the ascending portion of the vasa recta, NaCl and urea are secreted into the interstitium, while water is reabsorbed.
- in the point about reabsorption by collecting ducts, u have to mention abt ADH!

Reaction score
the very term "vasa recta' is no more used on exams ...instead we simply call them peritubular capillaries

Reaction score
that circle in the centre is the vascular bundle. and the palisade layer is the one that lies below the upper epidermis, arranged vertically, closely packed and perpendicularly to the mesophyl... :)

Reaction score
WATS B???
also tell wats its role

Attachments

• pct.PNG
    pct.PNG
    137.2 KB · Views: 200
Reaction score
explain three ways in which the cell depicted above is involved in selective reabsorption?

Reaction score
cn any one expalin the highlighted points ....and kindly please tell what are tight junctions

Attachments

• ytyt.PNG
    ytyt.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 187

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
hassam said:
cn any one expalin the highlighted points ....and kindly please tell what are tight junctions
Assalamoalaikum...

I need help with it too :s

I also didnt get these points...

Reaction score
hassam said:

junctions connect adjacent lateral walls of the cells.There are many types of junctions.
Tight junctions are formed by the transmembrane proteins present on the lateral surfaces of the cells are joined to each other!
These doesnot allow transfer of any material!
This information is enough at this level!If u need more, contact me please!
( the lateral surfaces are shown in green!)

Attachments

• lateral surfaces shown.jpg
    lateral surfaces shown.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 144