• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
What is the function of DNA polymerase?

The role of B and T lymphocytes?

Which bonds are involved in primary, secondary, tertiary and quarternary structures?

The effects of Tobacco and Nicotine on health?

What is the function of squamous epithelium?

Thanks.

DNA polymerase : catalyses the polymerization of deoxyribonucleotides into a DNA strand. It adds free nucleotides to elongate the DNA strand being formed during replication. However, it cannot initiate the formation of the stand, you need a primer for that. The polymerase enzyme can only continue to add nucleotide by complimentary base pairing to the pre-existing 3'-OH group.

Bonds present. Primary: peptide bonds.
Secondary: Hydrogen bonds.
Tertiary: ionic bonds (between the acidic and basic groups), disulphide bonds (between cysteines), hydrophobic interactions (non-polar groups), hydrogen bonds (if side groups contains hydroxyl or amine groups)
Quaternary structure: Same as the bonds involved in the tertiary structure, depending on the side chains of the polypeptides involved.

Tobacco effects: heart attacks, strokes, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD), hypertension, cancer.
Nicotine: High blood pressure, high heart rate, addiction, high breathing rate, hyperglycemia, weight loss, increased 'stickiness' of blood platelates.

Function of squamous epithelium: Aids passage of materials by diffusion by forming a smooth, moist interior (in the alveoli of lungs); protection of underlying tissues (in the skin, mouth, esophagus etc.)

Reaction score
you can ask question related to AIDS in that way your chapter revision will be covered as well. still the cambridge endorsed book is the best for study
wel i do hav a txt buk n da notes in it..bt its nt all clear enough!!!

Reaction score
Hey can any 1 explain me how to measure number of stomatas using microscope
Ders dis question in p5
How do we measure stomatas / mm3
Please explain in detail

Reaction score
As-Salaamu 'Alaykum.

Someone please explain to me the following stuff:

-how sucrose is transported in phloem. Active loading, source, sink, all that stuff... and be simple please. o-o'
-water potential, pressure potential, solute potential... what in the world are these things? o_O how can you deduce what's less negative or more negative or less positive or more positive, etc. I don't understand this at all...

Jazak Allah Khayr.

Reaction score
you
you can ask question related to immunity in that way your chapter revision will be covered as well. still the Cambridge endorsed book is the best for study
i cant ask doubts if my concepts aren't clear...i have many problems with immunity chapter...really looking forward to some good notes.

Reaction score
As-Salaamu 'Alaykum.

-how sucrose is transported in phloem. Active loading, source, sink, all that stuff... and be simple please. o-o'
-water potential, pressure potential, solute potential... what in the world are these things? o_O how can you deduce what's less negative or more negative or less positive or more positive, etc. I don't understand this at all...

Jazak Allah Khayr.
FROM SOURCE TO CELL C-
consider the companion cell first,where there is active loading of sucrose taking place.
H+ ions are pumped from the companion cells to mesophyll cells containing sucrose by active transport using ATP as an energy source.
As a result the H+ conc builds up in the mesophyll cells generating a potential difference across the membrane.
The H+ ions then move back into the companion cell down a conc. gradient through carrier proteins co-transporting sucrose molecules.
The sucrose molecules then move through the plasmodesmata into the sieve tube element(cell C)

FROM CELL C TO SINK-
When the sugar enters the cell C, due to low water potential being set up water enters by osmosis.
This builds up hydrostatic pressure.
At sink sugar is being used up( for respiration, conversion of sucrose into glucose and fructose)
This creates a pressure gradient between the source and the sink, causing mass flow of solution in phloem sieve tubes from source to sink.

Reaction score
guys are u learning the global distribution of heart disease, and also the global distribution of these diseases. Do any questions come on these in the paper.

Reaction score
As-Salaamu 'Alaykum.

Jazak Allah Khayr.

Water potential is the tendency of water molecules to move from one region to another. They usually move from a region of high to low water potential. The water potential of pure water is considered to be 0.

Pressure potential can be explained relative to water potential. When you increase the pressure inside a cell, it increases the tendency of the molecules to move out of the cell. An increase in pressure therefore increases the water potential of a solution. the pressure potential is always positive as it increases the water potential.

Solute potential: Adding solute to water lowers it's water potential. As the water potential of pure water is already 0, lowering it will only make it negative. The more solute you add, the more negative the water potential becomes. The amount by which the solute lowers the water potential is called the solute potential.
when you have two solutions, one with more solute (more negative) and one with less solute (less negative), the water will move from the solution with less solute to the one with more solute i.e. less negative to more negative.
A easier way to think is that the water is moving from a less concentrated to more concentrated solution. More solute= more negative=more concentrated. less solute= less negative= less concentrated.

Hope you got this. :p

Reaction score
Water potential is the tendency of water molecules to move from one region to another. They usually move from a region of high to low water potential. The water potential of pure water is considered to be 0.

Pressure potential can be explained relative to water potential. When you increase the pressure inside a cell, it increases the tendency of the molecules to move out of the cell. An increase in pressure therefore increases the water potential of a solution. the pressure potential is always positive as it increases the water potential.

Solute potential: Adding solute to water lowers it's water potential. As the water potential of pure water is already 0, lowering it will only make it negative. The more solute you add, the more negative the water potential becomes. The amount by which the solute lowers the water potential is called the solute potential.
when you have two solutions, one with more solute (more negative) and one with less solute (less negative), the water will move from the solution with less solute to the one with more solute i.e. less negative to more negative.
A easier way to think is that the water is moving from a less concentrated to more concentrated solution. More solute= more negative=more concentrated. less solute= less negative= less concentrated.

Hope you got this. :p

guys are u learning the global distribution of heart disease, and also the global distribution of these diseases. Do any questions come on these in the paper.

Reaction score
what is ADP. Is it similiar to ATP??

Adenosine Diphosphate, yeah its similar to ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) - only one phosphate is removed. ATP is broken down into ADP and a Phosphate group, which releases the energy stored in the ATP that keeps us alive. The ADP is then built back up into ATP for reuse.

Reaction score

No, i haven't seen any questions on distribution in any of the past papers. the eradication of diseases like small pox ect. is there but not the distribution.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what definitions are commonly asked in questions, so that I can prepare them? Jazak Allah.