• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I see. What about errors and ways of improvements?
Again, it depends on which experiment.
For e.g. errors can be:
  • The number of concentrations of E used is not enough. Its improvement would be use wider concentrations of E.
  • The experiment is conducted only once. Its improvement would be: do 3 experiments and obtain an average value.
It depends on the experiment, otherwise.

Reaction score
hey, im really confused about 9700/13/mj/10 the question bout the electrical activity of the heart.can u help?

Reaction score
Can anyone explain me the following point in the syllabus?

"
. (a) explain the need for transport systems in multicellular plants and animals in terms of size and surface area to volume ratios;
"

And also this one:

(j) discuss the difficulties in achieving a balance between preventions and cure with reference to coronary heart disease, coronary by-pass surgery and heart transplant surgery;

Reaction score
Can anyone explain me the following point in the syllabus?

"
. (a) explain the need for transport systems in multicellular plants and animals in terms of size and surface area to volume ratios;
"

And also this one:

(j) discuss the difficulties in achieving a balance between preventions and cure with reference to coronary heart disease, coronary by-pass surgery and heart transplant surgery;

(a) In unicellular organisms, having small size and large surface area to volume ratio, diffusion is enough to move substances from where they are manufactured to where they are required/are to be eliminated. As organisms get bigger, more complex and have smaller surface area to volume ratio, diffusion is simply a too slow process for movement of substances due to the small surface area. Food and oxygen cannot reach respiring cells on time as well as the waste materials are slow to be discarded. This is why a transport system is required in complex or multicellular organisms.

Hope i helped. good luck (y)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! :D

do you know anything about the point regarding the preventions and cure of CHD?

Reaction score
Hey every one , alsalam allaykom , I'm really confused about question 30 in p1 Oct/Nov 2011 variant 2 . How is the answer related to root pressure? when root pressure involves water moving through the xylem and not sap leaking out :S? And how come vital capacity is defined as the maximum volume of air breathed out after breathing in as deep as possible , but when we want to find the vital capacity on a spirometer graph we add the maximum exhaled air with the maximum inhaled air?!

Reaction score
Can someone help me with this?

"Explain the meaning of the term immune response making reference to the terms antigen, self and non-self."

Reaction score
G
Can someone help me with this?

"Explain the meaning of the term immune response making reference to the terms antigen, self and non-self."
Download the biology syllabus , you'll find the definition for an immune response as well as for antigen , non-self and self :)

Reaction score
can anyone upload the november 2011 examiner report for 9700 a level biology? its not here or on freeexampapers.com. please i need it urgently.