• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
hey how do we write the statement of calculating the mean. sometimes it says take 3 readings and calculate mean. and sometimes it says take mean of whole sample. plzz help
i'd Suggest you go to the the Biology Tips thread.. all ur quaries will be answered there :D

Reaction score

I got this wrong too the first time I attempted this question. I also chose 5.

1) herbivorous copepods
2) amphipods and shrimps
3) squid
4) little auk and arctic cod
5) glaucous gull and ringed seal
6) polar bear.

This shows us that there are 6 trophic levels. Squid is a consumer so it is at a different trophic level. You have to count that too.

Reaction score
when im doing the 8 mark Questions ..... do i have to write like
Independent variable: """"""""
DEPp """""""""""""""""""""""
or just write the points directly?

Reaction score
Alert!
For all ya guys out there freaking about error bars and standard error , imma make it clear once and for all ISA.
You need to knoww that there is a difference between standard deviation and standard error.
standard error is (standard deviation)/(root of no. of sample {root n})
when plotting bars, you need +/- standard deviation
so you need to multiply the standard error with (root n)
this value will be +/- the bar
P.S. the value of n will be the value that is going to be subtracted to find degrees of freedom

Reaction score
hey everyone , alsalum allaykom , can some one help me out in question 38 Maj/June 2004 p1 ? I don;t get how they added the energy used in respiration in photosynthesis and in question 5 I thought that the magnofication of the microscope would be by multiplying 5 with 8 , why is it in correct?

Reaction score
Q16- phosphate and hydrophilic head occupies less space. Hydrocarbon chains are large and have a chain structure.
Q29- xylem is dead. heating will not affect it. only phloem will get affected.
Q30- xylem will be affected 1st. water moves through xylem and its the appoplast pathway. so if fungi grow there it gets affected.
Q 38- photosynthesis is needed for growth and respiration as it provides glucose. so 21500*500*1500=23500
Q7- water potential=solute potential+pressure potential. water and solute potential are equal so pressure is 0
How xylem passes through the apoplast pathway ? Aren't xylem cells dead so there isn't a symplast or apoplast , or because apoplast is between the cell walls which are present?

Reaction score
Q16- phosphate and hydrophilic head occupies less space. Hydrocarbon chains are large and have a chain structure.
Q29- xylem is dead. heating will not affect it. only phloem will get affected.
Q30- xylem will be affected 1st. water moves through xylem and its the appoplast pathway. so if fungi grow there it gets affected.
Q 38- photosynthesis is needed for growth and respiration as it provides glucose. so 21500*500*1500=23500
Q7- water potential=solute potential+pressure potential. water and solute potential are equal so pressure is 0
What would happen if the pressure potential is equal to the water potential? the solute potential in this case would be lower than the water potential or we can't tell?

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me about the resolution of the light/electron microscope? 0.5 or 200 nm which of this value has a higher resolution?o_O

Reaction score
18 Which statement describes a cell that is capable of reproduction and belonging to a haploid
organism?
A It has chromosomes that contain one polynucleotide chain.
B It is capable of carrying out a reduction division to form gametes.
C It possesses two copies of each gene as a result of fertilisation.
D It will undergo cell division by mitosis during asexual reproduction.

ans is D .. but i am pretty sure its B ... from o/n 2009 va'11

Reaction score

Q10
if pigment is able to escape,that means phospholipid is broken down and that's only possible if solution is ethanol,where as protein channels are also broken down,cuz HCl denatures the protein 3D shape,.....hence no barrier for the pigment and its able to escape.

Q14
inhibition is independent of substrate and product concentrationsss..as soon as inhibitor is added rate no more increases and and the graph flattens

Q16
facilated diffusion only depends on number of protein channels,if no more empty channels available rate becomes constant.

hope it helped!

Reaction score
18 Which statement describes a cell that is capable of reproduction and belonging to a haploid
organism?
A It has chromosomes that contain one polynucleotide chain.
B It is capable of carrying out a reduction division to form gametes.
C It possesses two copies of each gene as a result of fertilisation.
D It will undergo cell division by mitosis during asexual reproduction.

ans is D .. but i am pretty sure its B ... from o/n 2009 va'11
its already haploid so it wont undergo reductional division again

Reaction score
Q10
if pigment is able to escape,that means phospholipid is broken down and that's only possible if solution is ethanol,where as protein channels are also broken down,cuz HCl denatures the protein 3D shape,.....hence no barrier for the pigment and its able to escape.

Q14
inhibition is independent of substrate and product concentrationsss..as soon as inhibitor is added rate no more increases and and the graph flattens

Q16
facilated diffusion only depends on number of protein channels,if no more empty channels available rate becomes constant.

hope it helped!

It sure did, Thanks a Bunch :)

Reaction score

since the bases are complementary, they are in the same ratio.Since 20% bases are cytosine, 20% will be guanine (a total of 40%).
the remaining 60% are obviously Adenine and Uracil( since it is mRNA)
Adenine and Uracil are complementary to each other and will be in the same ration i.e 30% each.
therefore 30% uracil molecules will be found in mRNA transcribed form this DNA.

Reaction score
since the bases are complementary, they are in the same ratio.Since 20% bases are cytosine, 20% will be guanine (a total of 40%).
the remaining 60% are obviously Adenine and Uracil( since it is mRNA)
Adenine and Uracil are complementary to each other and will be in the same ration i.e 30% each.
therefore 30% uracil molecules will be found in mRNA transcribed form this DNA.

Jazak Allah Khairan!