• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Statistics doubt??Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
so much anger :eek:
a) keep one boy and one girl as one unit you will have 8 blocks left which can change places hence 8!
and then boy and girl can also change place hence 2!
multiply 8! x 2!
b) take one side as noy and other as girl
only one boy can be at one side hence 4C1 and on side one girl 5C1
and then take factorial of children left makes
4 x5 x 7!

I think I read the question of a) wrongly :p

But why do we take one side boy and one side girl? I thought both sides should be same gender?

Reaction score
*EDIT* star explained it first, we have different approaches :eek: don't look at mine haha I'm weak in permutations :p

a) Imagine you have 4 boys.

You will have B B B B

And you have 5 girls.

It says that you have to make them alternating (BGBGBGBG) and so on, because a boy must be next to a girl (who in turn has to be next to a boy and so on)

Let's "insert" the girls into the line of boys we have, we will notice that we can "insert" them in 5 different places.

| B | B | B | B |

| = place where we can "insert" the girls.

Since we have only 5 girls (which perfectly fits the slot) we can use 5P5 (or 5!) for the girls.

Since there are 4 different boys, we can use 4!

Therefore 5! * 4! :)

[There is a simpler explanation on grouping them and stuff, but I prefer explaining this way as it is much easier to be told over the net :) ]

b) We have two cases for this, the first case being that it's both a boy, and obviously second is that both a girl.

Let's look at first case:

B _ _ _ _ _ _ _ B and a remainder of 5 girls and 2 boys. Since it does not matter how they are arranged inbetween the boys, and that each person are different, we can use 7!.

Second case:

G _ _ _ _ _ _ _ G and a remainder of 3 girls and 4 boys. Same concept applies, 7!.

Therefore 7! + 7! or 7! * 2 :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, again. :D
i think you misread the question all people do not need to be side by side only particular ones :)

Reaction score
Reaction score
I think I read the question of a) wrongly :p

But why do we take one side boy and one side girl? I thought both sides should be same gender?
look heres it

B1 G1 X X X X X X X
now you need the first two side by side make them one unit that makes 8 groups
take their factorial now we have another posibility
B1 G1 and G1 B1 hence 2!
multiply
8! x 2!

Reaction score
look heres it

B1 G1 X X X X X X X
now you need the first two side by side make them one unit that makes 8 groups
take their factorial now we have another posibility
B1 G1 and G1 B1 hence 2!
multiply
8! x 2!

Yes thats for part A I clearly understood it :D thanks!

But what about part B? I thought it's asking to have both end sides to be on the same gender? o_O

Reaction score
ITS AN o LEVEL QUESTION DID IN ADDMATHS :p

ADDMATHS is the reason why I find P and C comparatively easy as compared to my friends :D even though Addmaths ruined my O level marksheet :p It did do some benefit... PS I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT RELATIVE VELOCITY IS :\

Reaction score
ADDMATHS is the reason why I find P and C comparatively easy as compared to my friends :D even though Addmaths ruined my O level marksheet :p It did do some benefit... PS I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT RELATIVE VELOCITY IS :\
you will next year :p
naa i got an A :cool:

Reaction score
How is everyone's preparation for Stats?
I hope everyone get's and A :) !
I have a doubt,
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w12_qp_62.pdf ,Question 2 (ii), how did we find 'p' ? Why will we take normal.d of 0 for p?

Work out the probability that the company is making a loss.

Since loss means a profit that is less than zero, we are working P(X<0)

Therefore P(Z < -6.4/5.2) = 1- 0.8909 = 0.1091 <-- probability that it makes a loss.

Next step, a loss of exactly 1 out of 4 days can be modelled with binomial.

X~B ( 4, 0.1901 )

P(X=1)

4C1 * 0.8909^3 * 0.1901

Should give you the answer. :)

Reaction score
Work out the probability that the company is making a loss.

Since loss means a profit that is less than zero, we are working P(X<0)

Therefore P(Z < -6.4/5.2) = 1- 0.8909 = 0.1091 <-- probability that it makes a loss.

Next step, a loss of exactly 1 out of 4 days can be modelled with binomial.

X~B ( 4, 0.1901 )

P(X=1)

4C1 * 0.8909^3 * 0.1901

Should give you the answer. :)
ok but i dint get the part "Since loss means a profit that is less than zero, we are working P(X<0)" :(

Reaction score
ok but i dint get the part "Since loss means a profit that is less than zero, we are working P(X<0)" :(

The original normal distribution is modelled with a mean PROFIT of 6.4 and the PROFIT's standard deviation = 5.2

How do we call a loss then? Loss is when the profit value is less than 0.

Imagine you are buying a can of Pepsi for 3 dollars and sell it for 7 dollars to your friend, your profit is 7-3 = 4 dollars
Imagine you are buying a can of Pepsi for 3 dollars and sell it for 1 dollar to your friend, your profit is 1-3 = -2 dollars (which as we can say, a loss)

Therefore loss is any negative profit i.e. profit of <0

:)