• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Statistics doubt??Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Among so many types of maths n Statistics xam later thn d other math xams it seems the statistics problems stay completely ignored in the thread:Mathematics: Post your doubts here!
So this is for the candidates taking both S1-Paper 6 n also for candidates taking S2-Paper 7

(y)

Some really gud note available on Statistics here:
http://people.richland.edu/james/lecture/m170/

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s10_qp_62.pdf
Question 2, (ii), we found p as 0.854 in part i, so in part (ii), why did they take q as 0.854? :confused:

Usually q is considered as the probability of failure. In 1 we found out the we found the probability of pencils with length greater than 10.9cm.But in two we are dealing with choosing pencils which are less than 10.9cm.So our p here should be the probability of pencil with length less than 10.9 which would be 1-our answer in i . n our answer in 1 is our q!
Was that helpful enough?

Reaction score
Usually q is considered as the probability of failure. In 1 we found out the we found the probability of pencils with length greater than 10.9cm.But in two we are dealing with choosing pencils which are less than 10.9cm.So our p here should be the probability of pencil with length less than 10.9 which would be 1-our answer in i . n our answer in 1 is our q!
Was that helpful enough?
great got it, how do guys have such good brains? :D

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s10_qp_62.pdf
Question 2, (ii), we found p as 0.854 in part i, so in part (ii), why did they take q as 0.854? :confused:

Usually q is the probability of failure. n p is the probability of success!
Here in i we found out the prob of pencil with length greater thn 10.9cm. However we r to deal with pencils less than 10.9 cm in ii. So our p wud be 1-ans in i n our q wud be the ans in i . So if we considered the value of p to be same in both i n ii then we wud end up getting wrong ans 4 part ii as we would be finding probability of choosing 2 pencils greater than 10.9cm from 6 rather than less!
Hope u got that now!

Reaction score
Among so many types of maths n Statistics xam later thn d other math xams it seems the statistics problems stay completely ignored in the thread:Mathematics: Post your doubts here!
So this is for the candidates taking both S1-Paper 6 n also for candidates taking S2-Paper 7

(y)
P62 or P61? :eek:

Reaction score
It is known that, on average, 2 people in 5 in a certain country are overweight. A random sample of 400 people is chosen. Using a suitable approximation, find the probability that fewer than 165 people in the sample are overweight.

help me out guys. Its a binomial distribution which is then approximated by using normal distribution. Right? But how do we start.

Reaction score
Are there any notes or something i can get for statistics :S i am really lost and scared i have no hope anymore :/

Reaction score

Let the random variable X be normally distributed where with u(meu) n s(sigma) as mean n standard deviation respectively....
Nw we need to find
P((u+s)<X<(u-s))

Now standarising
we have
p{((u-s-u)/s)<Z<((u-s-u)/s)}
so, P(-1<Z<1)
so phi(1)-phi(-1)
=phi 1 -[1-phi(-1)]
={2phi(1)}-1
=(2*0.8413)-1
= .6826

therefore for 1 observation the p is .6862
so, for 800 it is .6826*800
=546 (Ans)

Hope i cud help!!!

Reaction score
C over here u got p(A)=1/3 in i
n P(B)=5/9 in ii

now A intersection B means that the score differ by 3 or more and also there product is greter than 8

so P(A intersection B)=6/36

not 0 so A n B are not mutually exclusive!!
Btwn dis is frm on06 or mj06...
thankks alot.... that P(A intersection B) was wat i was missing on.. like i knew it had to be there .... but cudnt figure where it was -_-

Reaction score
t
Let the random variable X be normally distributed where with u(meu) n s(sigma) as mean n standard deviation respectively....
Nw we need to find
P((u+s)<X<(u-s))

Now standarising
we have
p{((u-s-u)/s)<Z<((u-s-u)/s)}
so, P(-1<Z<1)
so phi(1)-phi(-1)
=phi 1 -[1-phi(-1)]
={2phi(1)}-1
=(2*0.8413)-1
= .6826

therefore for 1 observation the p is .6862
so, for 800 it is .6826*800
=546 (Ans)

Hope i cud help!!!
thank you very much! I can do it now :)

Reaction score
It is known that, on average, 2 people in 5 in a certain country are overweight. A random sample of 400 people is chosen. Using a suitable approximation, find the probability that fewer than 165 people in the sample are overweight.

help me out guys. Its a binomial distribution which is then approximated by using normal distribution. Right? But how do we start.

Hey solved it but i m not sure if the ans is ryt!! Hope i cud help!!

Solution to prob! S1.JPG