• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

omg

Reaction score
can any1 pls gimme the advantages and disadvantages of AM and FM transmissions?????
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reaction score
can any1 pls gimme the advantages and disadvantages of AM and FM transmissions?????
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Disadvantages of AM: Lacks higher frequencies that affect the music quality
The quality of Am reception is poorer thn FM
AM are more subjected to noise and distortion
Advantages of AM: The equipment of AM like transmitters and receivers are comparatively simpler and cheap.
Can be transmitted over larger range.
disadvantages of FM : FM transmitters and receiver are electronically complex.
FM transmitter has shorter ranger (30 KM by line of sight) so greater transmitters are required to broadcast to a large area.
Advantages: Interference does not affect FM transmission.

Reaction score
In a laboratory demonstration of the photoelectric effect, a metal plate is given an electric charge and light of various wavelengths is shone on to the surface of the plate in turn. It is found that the plate loses its electric charge when the plate is given a negative charge and when ultraviolet light is shone on to the plate.

Explain why the plate does not lose its charge when

(i) the plate is given a positive charge and illuminated by ultraviolet light,
(ii) the plate is given a negative charge and illuminated by visible light.
(4)
(i) positive charge will attract back the electrons that want 2 escape (unlike charges) hence no loss of charge
(ii) Visible light has a lower frequency, and hence lesser energy, than UV light... thus it cannot provid the electrons it interacts with enough energy for them to break free and hence there is no discharge :)

Reaction score
(i) positive charge will attract back the electrons that want 2 escape (unlike charges) hence no loss of charge
(ii) Visible light has a lower frequency, and hence lesser energy, than UV light... thus it cannot provid the electrons it interacts with enough energy for them to break free and hence there is no discharge :)
nice one ..and i got the answer to that question !!!

Reaction score
o/n/09/42/ 7
o/n/10/41 / 1
o/n/08/4/ 7
o/n/07/4/ 8
o/n/09 41/ 6
m/j/09/4/ 7
m/j/07/4/ 10 and 5
m/j/08/4/ 9 and 5
This are the following question that i dont knw .
help pls !

Reaction score
i cant understand the ms point that for wave enrgy cn be continuosly collected so emission shud occur at all frequencies.....the cnfusion is that in case of photon also energy is being collected as it is converted into thermal enrgy if below threshold.....so wats the difference?

Reaction score
i cant understand the ms point that for wave enrgy cn be continuosly collected so emission shud occur at all frequencies.....the cnfusion is that in case of photon also energy is being collected as it is converted into thermal enrgy if below threshold.....so wats the difference?
did you check the examiner report?? Which question?? How can emission occur at any frequency?? It occurs at the threshold frequency or above it!
In photoelectric emission energy of radiation is not collected inside an electron, that's the classical wave theory which is proved wrong. Emissions occur when the incident radiation has energy more than the work function of the metal.
When the incident radiation has energy not above the work function of the metal, no emission of photoelectrons occur. Energy is given to the surroundings as heat instead. I guess that's what you're trying to say too!
There's got to be something else! Maybe they're collecting energy somehow and releasing it in a form of radiation and providing that radiation as the incident radiation to the metal surface!

Reaction score
can anyone clear away my confusion in this question?? M/J 2004 question 4 (b) (paper 4)
asdf.jpg )

Reaction score
Ep is zero at mean position and max at amplitude. there will be no graph in negative region as energy is scalar. So, the graph will be like we get in full-wave rectification of a.c current.
If 'Ep is max at amplitude' then shouldn't the graph be like cos(x)..?? :).. but being above time-axis...!!

Reaction score
Reaction score
thats wat it shud look like roughly.....
by the way in the last part of this question shudnt the amplitude be smaller also
since the mass is removed..the system oscillates with even more amplitude than before..but this makes the wavelength go small..!!
you can try this question with a thin ruler yourself at home... :D (it worked for me)

Reaction score
I need help in the paper Oct/Nov 10 P42 Que 2biii The que values are different and marking scheme values are diff...Really confused???