• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
Question June 2002
6 a) I am having problems with the first part of the graph!
Please upload a picture of it, and I will reply whether I agree or not!

Reaction score
WELL I DONT UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF DIODE 2......EVEN IF THERE IS A BACK EMF CAN DIODE D1 PROTECT OPAMP cos it will be in reverse biased

Attachments

• GH.PNG
    GH.PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Okay I got it. the answer in the marking scheme is the half-life of the source is very long or decay constant is very small. I think they mean that the half life is so huge that there will be a constant emission throughout the period before reaching half life.
oh and I noticed .. >>>>>>

3.5x10^6 40
______ = ____
s days

Reaction score
Question June 2002
6 a) I am having problems with the first part of the graph!
Please upload a picture of it, and I will reply whether I agree or not!
i have not got the paper........cn u post pic here.....and by the way i want to discuss rectification graphs

Reaction score
well if i have to do graph of p.d across diode hw will it look like

Attachments

• ggg.PNG
    ggg.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
WELL I DONT UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF DIODE 2......EVEN IF THERE IS A BACK EMF CAN DIODE D1 PROTECT OPAMP cos it will be in reverse biased
D1 is there to avoid any output current from the op amp when the op amp output is at a negative voltage. If the op amp has no negative voltage power supply, then there will be no need for D1.

D2 is there to prevent a high voltage, generated by the coil when power is removed, from damaging the op amp.

When the op amp applies a positive current going down into the coil, a current is flowing in the coil. This current generates a magnetic field around the coil and core. If the op amp output suddenly switches off (i.e. goes to zero volts, or goes negative), then the magnetic field will start to collapse at a high rate. As the magnetic lines of flux fall back through the coil windings as the field collapses, a voltage is developed across the coil. The voltage is such that the top end of the coil (at the op amp) will go to a positive voltage. Without D2, this voltage can go high enough so that the op amp can be damaged. Diode D2 shunts the current to ground so that the voltage can't go higher than about 1 volt. This also allows some current to continue to flow in the coil as the magnetic field decays, which also allows the voltage that would be developed by the coil to be reduced. This also makes it take a few more milliseconds for the relay to finish its mechanical movement.

Source:- http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electrical-Engineering-1356/2011/4/Protection-Diode-Relay.htm

Reaction score
i have not got the paper........cn u post pic here.....and by the way i want to discuss rectification graphs
For the rectification graphs, which year was it?
And the question asked for the voltage across diodes right?
Please refer back where "user" [ thoroughly interpreted the problem with lots of diagrams ]

Reaction score
When do you use electric potential/x graph and electric field strength/x graph?
S08 4 (unlike charges) and w11 42 4 (like charges) even if the graph looks the same...

Reaction score
Hmm im not sure I agree, cz electrons have a particele nature.
It is the electrons which have the wave-particle dualty.
As well as the light, this experiments was specifically designed to demonstrate the particulate nature of light not electrons. The particulate nature of electrons is shown by milikian's oil drop experiment.

Reaction score
When do you use electric potential/x graph and electric field strength/x graph?
S08 4 (unlike charges) and w11 42 4 (like charges) even if the graph looks the same...
June 2002 Question 6 a) did you find the answer? Please post a pic of it, and I will reply if I agree.

Reaction score
As well as the light, this experiments was specifically designed to demonstrate the particulate nature of light not electrons. The particulate nature of electrons is shown by milikian's oil drop experiment.
I thought milikan's showed the quanitsation of electrons?

Reaction score
you are absolutely right that it provides evidence for particulate nature of light.
but are you sure it doesnt show the particulate nature of electrons too?
For example if there is a question that asks to design an experiment to prove particulate nature of electrons, What experiment do we draw?

Wikipedia :- "The photoelectric effect requires photons with energies from a few electronvolts to over 1 MeV in high atomic number elements. Study of the photoelectric effect led to important steps in understanding the quantum nature of light and electrons and influenced the formation of the concept of wave–particle duality"

Are you sure electrons are not proven as particles from the photoelectric effect?

Reaction score
But, like how do you know?

E is the rate of change of magnetic flux density. from T1 to T2 variation in B is constant i.e the gradient is constant . so a horizontal line is sketched . same goes for t2 to t3 but in opposite direction ..
you simply have to sketch the gradient per unit time for the above graph .. get it ?

aoa! isn't E supposed to be 'negative' d((phi)/dt

Reaction score
Btw thank you for the correction, much appreciated !