• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ANSWERING ALL BIO/CHEM PAPER 1 DOUBTS :)

Reaction score
could u plz explain how d ans to q:32 of w11_12.
Well...it says ALL the Oxygen in the dry air is reacted...the percentage of Oxygen i air is 20%
% of air remainingis 100 - 20 = 80%
Volume of air remaining = 120 cm3
we will cross multiply!
% of remaining air - 80% Total air - 100%
Volume of remaining air - 120 cm3 Volume of total air - ?
? = 120 * 100/80 = 150 cm3
and so the answer is B....

got it?

Reaction score
it is a reversible reaction...when you add water to blue solid (anhydrous cobalt chloride) it will become hydrated that is, will change to pink....this is an exothermic reaction so the temperature rises and therefore the answer is B :)
Well...it says ALL the Oxygen in the dry air is reacted...the percentage of Oxygen i air is 20%
% of air remainingis 100 - 20 = 80%
Volume of air remaining = 120 cm3
we will cross multiply!
% of remaining air - 80% Total air - 100%
Volume of remaining air - 120 cm3 Volume of total air - ?
? = 120 * 100/80 = 150 cm3
and so the answer is B....

got it?
yes, jazakallah :)

Reaction score
i know this:sneaky:
i want to that how is adding water an exothermic reaction?
& how would i know just by reading the question that the temperature increased or that the reaction is exothermic?
LOL
bcoz heat is liberated :p

okie! on a serious note...there are some reactions which you should know/memorize whether are they endothermic or exothermic...for instance neutralization reactions, combustion reactions e.t.c!
so juss remember that this reaction...that is adding water to anhydrous salts is ALWAYS exothermic!

hope that helps :)

Reaction score
i know this:sneaky:
i want to that how is adding water an exothermic reaction?
& how would i know just by reading the question that the temperature increased or that the reaction is exothermic?
ok i will explain it in a very simple way, this reaction is a basic reversible reaction if u start first with hydrated copper sulfate and u heat it this is the forward reaction and it is obviously endothermic, the backward reaction is when the anyhdrous copper sulfate is turned back to hydrated and this can only be done by adding water and as this is backward then it must be the opposite of the forward reaction and so it is exothermic.

Reaction score
ok i will explain it in a very simple way, this reaction is a basic reversible reaction if u start first with hydrated copper sulfate and u heat it this is the forward reaction and it is obviously endothermic, the backward reaction is when the anyhdrous copper sulfate is turned back to hydrated and this can only be done by adding water and as this is backward then it must be the opposite of the forward reaction and so it is exothermic.
oh jazakallah got it :)
& just one more thing:
when deciding whether temp increases or decreases we have to consider the temp of the surrounding ???

Reaction score
LOL
bcoz heat is liberated :p

okie! on a serious note...there are some reactions which you should know/memorize whether are they endothermic or exothermic...for instance neutralization reactions, combustion reactions e.t.c!
so juss remember that this reaction...that is adding water to anhydrous salts is ALWAYS exothermic!

hope that helps :)
jazakallah once again :)

Reaction score
oh jazakallah got it :)
& just one more thing:
when deciding whether temp increases or decreases we have to consider the temp of the surrounding ???
yea when they ask for the temperature change, they are asking for the temperature of the surroundings :D

Reaction score
Chemistry MCQ doubt:

Q: In some countries, ethanol, rather than petrol, is used as a fuel for cars. Which gas is not present in the exhaust from cars that burn ethanol?

A Carbon dioxide
B Nitrogen
C Oxides of nitrogen
D Sulphur dioxide

Reaction score
Another doubt, please help :)

An excess of dilute hydrochloric acid is added to aqueous sodium hydroxide. What is the pH of the aqueous sodium hydroxide before the acid is added, and what is the pH of the final mixture?

KEY
pH of aqueous sodium hydroxide
pH of final mixture

Option A: 3 7
Option B:7 3
Option C:12 3
Option D:12 7

Reaction score
Another doubt, please help :)

An excess of dilute hydrochloric acid is added to aqueous sodium hydroxide. What is the pH of the aqueous sodium hydroxide before the acid is added, and what is the pH of the final mixture?

KEY
pH of aqueous sodium hydroxide
pH of final mixture

Option A: 3 7
Option B:7 3
Option C:12 3
Option D:12 7
aoa wr wb...
the answer is C...bcoz sodium hydroxide is alkaline so the pH will be 12 and when EXCESS hydrochloric acid is added...it will become acidic i.e the pH will be 3.

Reaction score
Thank you Cool Crystals, but can you please explain why the answer is Sulphur Dioxide (D) and not nitrogen (B) (Yes you are right).

And thanks for the explanation to my second doubt :)

Reaction score
Yet again, another doubt. Please help me with question 13 in the PDF attached. Thanks :)

Attachments

• Doubt Question 13.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 7