• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Reaction score
Pressure potential always has a positive value. So X is for pressure potential.
Solute potential always has a negative value. That's shown by curve Z.
Y is left. That has to be for water potential.
y cant u say that Y is solute p and Z is water p ?

Reaction score
A tree carries out photosynthesis and provides organic compounds for other organisms in a forest. It takes carbon dioxide from and returns oxygen to the atmosphere. It takes water from the soil into its roots and its leaves lose water to the atmosphere. Many other organisms live in the tree.
Which term applies to the description of the tree?
A ecosystem
B habitat
C niche
Dtrophic level

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
aoa wr wb
first time....did i ever have the feeling...there's been help for bio :ROFLMAO:

Anyway....thanks a lot to alll....!

Ya Allah...plz grant success in both worlds to all those who helped...and those who couldn't ....Aameen...YaAllah guide us all..to Jannah...and make us among the muttaqeen and saliheen...aameen!

wassalamoalaikum warehmatullahi wabarakatuh!

Reaction score
Well the answer is D correct me if I'm wrong, okay explanation "W.p of cell = Pressure.p + solute potential".

okay so in the middle we have incipient plasmolysis you have to check the images for this, at this point, pressure potential is zero and both the water potential and solute potential are negative always (remember that solute potential can never be positive alright) so follow the equation at incipient plasmolysis water potential of cell = solute potential. lets go to turgid the water potential is zero why know since pressure potential can become more positive (it can exceed zero) WHEN THE CELL IS TURGID, and like i said the solute potential is always negative so "W.P of cell = 3.5-3.5" which is zero so "-" is for the solute potential and "+" is for the pressure potential and that only occurs when turgid okay, so W.p of cell is 0.

Attachments

• Capture 75.PNG
    Capture 75.PNG
    56.3 KB · Views: 16

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
A tree carries out photosynthesis and provides organic compounds for other organisms in a forest. It takes carbon dioxide from and returns oxygen to the atmosphere. It takes water from the soil into its roots and its leaves lose water to the atmosphere. Many other organisms live in the tree.
A ecosystem
B habitat
C niche
Dtrophic level
niche...cuz it describes the role of a tree in its environment...

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
A ecosystem
B habitat
C niche
Dtrophic level
Niche.

Reaction score

remember this... Ψ = Ψs + Ψp
and the pressure potential is always positive so X is pressure potential
now looking at the equation we know water potential is always negative, but solute potential has to be even more negative, cuz the pressure potential will be added to it, therefore Z is solute potential and Y is water potential :)

Reaction score
Well the answer is D correct me if I'm wrong, okay explanation "W.p of cell = Pressure.p + solute potential".

okay so in the middle we have incipient plasmolysis you have to check the images for this, at this point, pressure potential is zero and both the water potential and solute potential are negative always (remember that solute potential can never be positive alright) so follow the equation at incipient plasmolysis water potential of cell = solute potential. lets go to turgid the water potential is zero why know since pressure potential can become more positive (it can exceed zero) WHEN THE CELL IS TURGID, and like i said the solute potential is always negative so "W.P of cell = 3.5-3.5" which is zero so "-" is for the solute potential and "+" is for the pressure potential and that only occurs when turgid okay, so W.p of cell is 0.
JazakAllah that really helped:) thanx a lot bro:)

Reaction score
aoa wr wb
first time....did i ever have the feeling...there's been help for bio :ROFLMAO:

Anyway....thanks a lot to alll....!

Ya Allah...plz grant success in both worlds to all those who helped...and those who couldn't ....Aameen...YaAllah guide us all..to Jannah...and make us among the muttaqeen and saliheen...aameen!

wassalamoalaikum warehmatullahi wabarakatuh!
it seems like you are all prepped up for bio:p

Reaction score
remember this... Ψ = Ψs + Ψp
and the pressure potential is always positive so X is pressure potential
now looking at the equation we know water potential is always negative, but solute potential has to be even more negative, cuz the pressure potential will be added to it, therefore Z is solute potential and Y is water potential :)
tx that really helped:)