• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry Doubts

Reaction score
Hi , please i need answer for question 19 May June 2009 paper 1 ( about chiral centre )

Reaction score
2 Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question.
A typical solid fertiliser for use with household plants and shrubs contains the elements N, P, and
K in the ratio of 15g : 30g :15g per 100 g of fertiliser. The recommended usage of fertiliser is 14g
of fertiliser per 5dm of water.
What is the concentration of nitrogen atoms in this solution?
A 0.03moldm
B 0.05moldm
C 0.42moldm
D 0.75moldm

Reaction score
6 The density of ice is 1.00gcm.
What is the volume of steam produced when 1.00 cm of ice is heated to 323 °C (596 K) at a
pressure of one atmosphere (101kPa)?
[1mol of a gas occupies 24.0dm at 25°C (298K) and one atmosphere.]
A 0.267dm
B 1.33dm
C 2.67dm
D 48.0dm

Reaction score
15 Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question.
The combustion of fossil fuels is a major source of increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide, with a
consequential rise in global warming. Another significant contribution to carbon dioxide levels
comes from the thermal decomposition of limestone, in the manufacture of cement and of lime for
agricultural purposes.
Cement works roast 1000 million tonnes of limestone per year and a further 200 million tonnes is
roasted in kilns to make lime.
What is the total annual mass output of carbon dioxide (in million tonnes) from these two
processes?
A 440 B 527 C 660 D 88

Reaction score
Remember that H2SO4 is a dehydrating agent, it'll remove that OH and you'll end up with a double bond...
I'll leave it up to you to find the answer: you'll remember it better...
Lol thanks i understand it and surely won't forget :)

Reaction score
Dude read the question carefully: it say HSO4^- is acting as a base; that is where the whole problem started form!:(
Oops........:oops:..........My mistake......Sorry!!!
Here's the correction:
HSO3- ion is acting as a base as it donates a OH^- ion to the H+ ion to form water and it is always the base that loses OH^- to form water...........

Reaction score
also question 21 October November 2004 paper 1

thank you Scafalon40 for reply :)

Reaction score
I know all concepts in chemistry but i m not getting high score for paper 1
sometime 30 and in other papers 28 and i need A what to do and in mock i got high B

Reaction score
but in some cases 28 and more worse is 24 and i don't know what to do i am practicing but scared

Reaction score
But shouldn't you be able to explain that in terms of the Bronsted Lowery theory of bases, or in terms of Lewis bases.
I can't explain it with either!:(
That old 'base releases OH^-' ions thing is...well..old.
i still dont get why the answer is A! could you please explain! in rxn 1 water donates proton hence its an acid..therefore Hso2 will be its conjugate base. ok this makes sense. in rxn 2 Hso3 is losing its proton so doesnt that make it an acid? its rxn two in confused in if anyone could help me out with it.