• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry P2 Prep.

Reaction score
ok have 1 doubt..
all grpI MNO3 decompose to MNO2 + O2
but Li haas high polarising power so it decompose like grpII M(NO3)2............... LNO3 ---->MO2 +NO2 or MO2 +NO2 +O2 as well...?
do Li on decomposition releases O2 or not ? dats my doubt...
ppl any1 know it?

Reaction score
ok have 1 doubt..
all grpI MNO3 decompose to MNO2 + O2
but Li haas high polarising power so it decompose like grpII M(NO3)2............... LNO3 ---->MO2 +NO2 or MO2 +NO2 +O2 as well...?
do Li on decomposition releases O2 or not ? dats my doubt...
Yeah, Lithium is polarising enough to form lithium oxide after decomposition.
4LiNO3 = 2Li2O + 4NO2 + O2

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Summary or something of Inorganic Chemistry reactions? I found one of Organic Chem., so one of Inorganic Chemistry would be useful. :)

Reaction score
ok there is this q.... where phosphorus has a greater ionisation energy than sulfur ..and q is why?
the ans is:for S one 3p orbital has paired electrons and for P 3p sub-shell is singly filled
paired electrons repel ....
i dont undersand it...explain plsssss

Reaction score
ok there is this q.... where phosphorus has a greater ionisation energy than sulfur ..and q is why?
the ans is:for S one 3p orbital has paired electrons and for P 3p sub-shell is singly filled
Paired electrons repel, so they have higher energy and are thus more easily removed. Phosphorus has its 3p orbital just half-filled, which is relatively stable. Sulphur has one paired electrons in 3p. The paired electrons shall have slightly higher energy, so it requires less energy to remove the outermost electron from sulphur.

Reaction score
It requires less energy to remove and electron from paired orbital because of the repulsion between them. When you remove an electron from a singly filled orbital more energy is required as there is no repulsion to partially cancel out the attraction between the nucleus and the e-.
wen e- r paired they have spin pairing...so 1 is rotating in clockwise direction and the other in anticlockwise direction...so they should have attractive force...isnt it?

Reaction score
S has one 3p orbital has paired electrons and the paired electrons repel.When the electrons repel,the electrons get further from nucleus,thus lower ionisation energy.
P sub-shell is singly filled,there is no paired of electrons.thus the distance is nearer to the nucleus.so,higher ionisation energy

Reaction score
In the nucleophilic substitution reaction of an Halogenoalkane to an alcohol, my book says the condition is 'heat under reflux!' but all the marking schemes just say 'heat!' Which one is it?

Reaction score
In the nucleophilic substitution reaction of an Halogenoalkane to an alcohol, my book says the condition is 'heat under reflux!' but all the marking schemes just say 'heat!' Which one is it?
"heat under reflux" should be more reliable. Small-molecule halogenoalkanes are usually in gaseous phase under room temperature. Reflux can ensure that the haloalkane is kept inside the container during the entire reaction.

Reaction score
just right heat...thats better

Reaction score
wen e- r paired they have spin pairing...so 1 is rotating in clockwise direction and the other in anticlockwise direction...so they should have attractive force...isnt it?

like charges never attract. the spin-pair repulsion merely reduces the repulsive forces between the electrons so that they can occupy the same sub-shell.