• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Chemistry Practical - Paper 34

Reaction score
Btw, I didn't understand why they chose the cation is Lead (Pb2+), based on the fact that
Na2CO3 & Na2SO4 react with FB6 to give a white ppt!? (Like, anything gives white ppt..)
And then based on reaction of NaOH with FB6, to we didn't test with NH3, so how do we know which metal is used?
heheheheh I just understood my mistake :D
By the reaction of SO4^2- with Pb^2+ (As in page 9), white PPT is given :D

Reaction score
how will i know which gas is evolved in the experiment?

You have to do the gas test! if a colorless gas is released, first do a splint test then a litmus test
And if you see that a brown gas is evolved, you can say that it is NO2 :)

Reaction score
Unless some CIE guy comes and gives away the details, we can't be sure about the reagents to be tested. And frankly, it doesn't even matter if we did, all we need to know are the procedures and we gotta do them anyways. Just google the basic colour changes and keep it in mind. I also heard they will provide with three litmus papers. So I think we need to test for gasses by thermal dec as well. Ad all we can do is google measuring enthral pay change and titration procedures. And guys, YouTube is one hell of resource for the methods, descriptions in full step by step, ******* cool, I say!

Reaction score
You have to do the gas test! if a colorless gas is released, first do a splint test then a litmus test
And if you see that a brown gas is evolved, you can say that it is NO2 :)
But be careful not to be fooled, NaBr can also react with H2SO4, producing NahSO4 and HBr, and the HBr again gets oxidized (reducing H2SO4), and producing SO2, and Br2 gas!! (Brown)

Reaction score
Unless some CIE guy comes and gives away the details, we can't be sure about the reagents to be tested. And frankly, it doesn't even matter if we did, all we need to know are the procedures and we gotta do them anyways. Just google the basic colour changes and keep it in mind. I also heard they will provide with three litmus papers. So I think we need to test for gasses by thermal dec as well. Ad all we can do is google measuring enthral pay change and titration procedures. And guys, YouTube is one hell of resource for the methods, descriptions in full step by step, ******* cool, I say!
Dude it's Enthalpy :D