• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS math 9709/May June/2018/ Paper 12 Hard Or Easy?

Reaction score
I dont remember exactly but :eek: the question said that the curve didnt intersect right?
I think the question was something like " find the set of values of K for which the curve lies above the x-axis", I'm not sure if I remember it correctly though

Reaction score
I think the question was something like " find the set of values of K for which the curve lies above the x-axis", I'm not sure if I remember it correctly though
yes yeah that was the question, so in that case wasn't it determinant<0 because u know it lies above x-axis

Reaction score
yes yeah that was the question, so in that case wasn't it determinant<0 because u know it lies above x-axis
I thought the determinant was supposed to be >0, but I'm not 100% sure. Wait a sec, I'll check my copybook because I know we did something similar in class a while ago.

Reaction score
I still dont understand why n is not 13
In question they asked to find amount of salt of 12th week after change

Reaction score
I still dont understand why n is not 13
In question they asked to find amount of salt of 12th week after change
It's because the first term (8000) was the first week after the change, not the week of the change, so the 12th week is the 12th term.

Reaction score
(i) Area of circle = area of shaded region. Find pi*r^2 = r^2*tan(theta) - (2theta*r^2)/2 where length of triangle is found by tan(theta) = AT/r (AT is one of 2 tangents to the circle).

(ii) Formula used is theta*r = arc length. 19.2 = 8*2theta, theta = 1.2

(iii) Shaded area is found by 8*8tan1.2 - (2theta*8^2)/2.
Area = 87.8

Reaction score
(i) Area of circle = area of shaded region. Find pi*r^2 = r^2*tan(theta) - (2theta*r^2)/2 where length of triangle is found by tan(theta) = AT/r (AT is one of 2 tangents to the circle).

(ii) Formula used is theta*r = arc length. 19.2 = 8*2theta, theta = 1.2

(iii) Shaded area is found by 8*8tan1.2 - (2theta*8^2)/2.
Area = 87.8
there were 'two' triangles, this was a 6 marks question. You had to add up 2 triangles and subtract area of sector from it.

Reaction score
its probably k > 9 , because if u send b^2 ( b can never be negative )on the RHS, you need to divide by a -ve number to make it become positive, .... ( b^2 - 4ac <0)
also i remember getting k = 11 (b^2-4ac =0)

Last edited: