• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Physics P1 MCQs Preparation Thread.

Reaction score
Thank you:)
Please could you help me out with Q18?When ice melts,the intermolecular forces weaken hence the atoms move apart from each other and this also causes a decrease in the density..then why is the answer B?
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s10_qp_11.pdf
Water is actually sort of different from other substances, in that its liquid (water) form is more denser than its solid form (ice). The key words to figure that out in the question are 'when ice contacts..", this means that the atoms get closer together when going into the liquid form, so the spacing between the atoms decreases. And this means that the volume is also lower. Using density = mass / volume, the density gets higher.

Why ice is less denser in water isn't in the syllabus (though I think it is in Chemistry (hydrogen bonding)) so you don't need to worry about that. There's also a few other substances which show this behavior but who really cares about those. :p

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w06_qp_1.pdf
Q21 The answer is D, please explain?
PLEASE :p ill be really grateful :)
For this type of question, you have to use the liquid pressure formula separately for the oil and water and then add them up to give 17.5 MPa.

For the oil, pressure = 9.81 * 830 * x
For the water, pressure = 9.81 * 1000 * (2000-x)

9.81 * 830 * x + 9.81 * 1000 * (2000-x) = 17.5 * 10^6

Solving this gives ~1270m.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Why is the answer D? Should it not be B??? The tensio is the same throughout right so it will be 30N, and hence the torque will be 30 X 0.15=4.5!fvvvy.jpg

Reaction score
Water is actually sort of different from other substances, in that its liquid (water) form is more denser than its solid form (ice). The key words to figure that out in the question are 'when ice contacts..", this means that the atoms get closer together when going into the liquid form, so the spacing between the atoms decreases. And this means that the volume is also lower. Using density = mass / volume, the density gets higher.

Why ice is less denser in water isn't in the syllabus (though I think it is in Chemistry (hydrogen bonding)) so you don't need to worry about that. There's also a few other substances which show this behavior but who really cares about those. :p
Thank you(y)

Reaction score
q 19 and 37 for 37 i am sure that its B then why its C :S pls help needed :(

Attachments

• 9702_w05_qp_1.pdf
    214.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 9702_w05_ms_1.pdf
    61 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Ok my problems in m/j 2007 paper. Hope someone can help me out here,
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s07_qp_1.pdf
Q10) the answer is B, all i dont get is shouldnt it be p2-(-p1) in the numerator, and then becomes p2+p1? why is it p2-p1?
Q13) The answer is B, the only problem i have is, how do we find the perpendicular distance?
Q20) the answer is B, i dont get it completely, whats tension and compression is such scenarios?
Q37) The answer is C, how do they have equal resistances?
PLEASE HELP, I WOULD TRULY APPRECIATE IT, THANKYOU :)