• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

As physics p1 MCQS YEARLY ONLY.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Help needed :
J03 q17,22,28,30
Nov02 q7,10,18,24,32,36
Nov03 q4,5,7,22,28,31
Nov02
Q7: one wavelength is about 0.7 cm...then we multiply it with the time base which is 10 ms cm^-1...convert it to cm so 0.7 x 1=0.7 then frequency = 1/Tdo the calculation and Bis the answer
Q18: power=Energy/time....potential energy = mgh= (1.3 x10^9) x 9.81 x 2=2.5506 x 10^10...time = 1 day = 24 hrs x 3600=86400 s...energy/ time=295208 about 300KW so D
Q24: work done for Q= 0.5 x k x X^2 ...work done for P= 0.5 x 2k x X^2 ...so Wq/Wp= 0.5 so B
Q32: use the graph to find the resistane for = 1.0v it is 1/50 x 10^-3= 20...so it is A or B..and the answer is A because when the graph is -1.0v when u go down it doesn;t intersect with any thing so infinite.

Reaction score
pls ppl any 1 wh ohave any doubts...when you post your question post the link to the question paper and its mark scheme PLEASE!!! Thanks in advance

Reaction score
OK here's all of June 2002.

June 2002
==========

1. B

Fact. A would be right if K was given instead of °C.

2. B

You go FORWARD in the direction of X and BACKWARD in the direction of Y.

3. A

The units of speed (msˉ¹)s are equal on both sides.

4. B

You can eliminate A, C and D because they are all nonsense (in my opinion). B is correct because if the timer was started and THEN the ball thrown, you would get 0

height for some time 't' on the x-axis.

5. C

Uncertainity = 2(0.03) + 0.02 = 0.08 = 7%. You multiply the uncertainty of V twice because of the square.

6. D

Air resistance isn't negligible because the speed eventually becomes constant (terminal velocity), so rule out A and C. The Y-axis can't be distance because it

eventually becomes constant, the distance can't become constant during the fall of a body. :p

7. A

Acceleration is constant with uniformly increasing speed. B is increasing rate of speed, C is constant speed and D is at rest.

8. D

S is the distance from cliff to highest point. R is the distance from highest point to sea-level. We are looking for the distance of sea-level to cliff, which is R -

S.

9. B

K.E is ALWAYS conserved in elastic collisions, so K.E before impact is 0.5mv² + 0.5mv² = mv². That means after impact, the K.E should also be mv².

10. B

Fnet = ma.
12 - x = 4 * 0.6
x = 9.6 N.

11. B

Momentum is always conserved so forming an equation,
0 = M1V1 + M2(-V2)
M1V1 = M2V2
V1/V2 = M2/M1

12. D

Fact. Upthrust is very small compared to weight. Also, drag is almost as large as weight not they are not the same (weight is a bit larger) so A and B are wrong.

13. C

Torque = 2 * PD

To find the perpendicular distance, find the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot and then multiply that by 2. To find the distance from the force to

pivot, construct a triangle and obtain the equation x = 0.15 sin 30.

14. C

Upthrust is the pressure of the block (Pb - Pt) * area, I think.

15. D

Resolve the horizontal 3N and vertical 4N force to get a sideways 5N force which is in the same line as the diagonal 4N force. The resultant force has a magnitude of

1N and the direction is towards the upper-right.

16. D

Efficiency = (useful output)/(total input)

17. C

The only work done is reducing the volume, and since the pressure is constant, work done is p(V1 - V2).

18. B

At Q, the potential energy is 50kJ less than P. This means that the 50kJ must have been converted to kinetic energy. So, K.E (Q) = K.E (P) + 50kJ = 55kJ. And 10 was

lost in friction, leaving us with 45 kJ.

19. D

Simple Power = Force * Velocity.
24 * 10³= 600 * V

20. B

Evaporation occurs over a range of temperatures, while the rest only occur at a fixed temperature.

21. A

Total density = total mass / total volume.

The total mass is m1 + m2 = 2m (since they are equal).

The total volume is MD1/MD2. D1 is ρ and D2 is 2ρ, and that gives us the total volume has 3M/2ρ. Then just use the total density formula I wrote above.

22. C.

Stress = F/A
Strain = extension/length
YM = stress/strain.

23. B

Simple ratio stuff with the YM formula FL/Ax.

24. B

Area below a force/extension graph is energy (i.e. work done). In reducing l2 to l1, this part of the graph is MNQP.

25. C

Speed of electromagnetic waves is always constant, but the frequency will decrease because the wavelength increases.

R M I V U X Y

--> increasing frequency
<-- increasing wavelength

26. B

λ = 4cm.
Time period for one wave is therefore 4 * 0.002s = 0.008s.
F = 1/T = 125 Hz.

27. B

Fact. I α a² and I α 1/r².

28. C

Use the path difference formula (distance from one source - distance from other source) to create an equation involving X. S2x - S1X = λ/2. λ/2 because X is a minimum point.

29. D

λ = 2(1.5) = 3m. 2 nodes are 0.5λ apart.

v = fλ
v = 300(3) = 900.

30. B

Graph X - Diode
Graph Y - Ohmic conductor/metal wire
Graph Z - Lamp

You have to learn these I/V graphs. Also note that a thermistor/semi-conductor has a graph which is like the lamp but has an increasing gradient instead.

31. C

Basic formula recall needed here.

32. A

R = V²/R = 240²/100 = 576. However, this is when the filament is heated so it has increased by 16 times. The normal room temperature would therefore be 576/16 = 36.

33. C

Basic Kirchoff's first law.

34. C

Diagram 2 has the same setup as diagram 1 (2 lamps connected in each parallel setup). If you are confused about diagram 2, then just rotate it. Since they have the same setup, the brightness would obviously be the same.

35. C

The way I solved this was by trying each option until I calculated a 2V drop at R1 and 1V drop at R2. Find the total current using V = IR (where V is 5 and the total resistance is the sum of R1, R2 and R3) and then use the formula again at each resistor to find the voltage drop (5 - V).

36. A

The electron will accelerate towards the +ve plate so A. A is +ve because the field lines are directed from +ve to -ve.

37. A

E = V/d

Increasing the value of 'd' will decrease the value of 'E'. Therefore A is correct.

38. C

Fact.

39. A

Basic stuff. :p

40. C

Work backwards to figure this one out, and see what is happening to the nucleon number and proton number individually. Then # of neutrons is nucleon number - proton number.

November 2002 will probably come next, and then I'll do 2011 backwards.

Reaction score

June 2002
==========

1. B

2. B

3. A

4. B

You can eliminate A, C and D because they are all nonsense (in my opinion). B is correct because if the timer was started and THEN the ball thrown, you would get 0

5. B

Uncertainity = 2(0.03) + 0.02 = 0.07 = 7%. You multiply the uncertainty of V twice because of the square.

6. D

Air resistance isn't negligible because the speed eventually becomes constant (terminal velocity), so rule out A and C. The Y-axis can't be distance because it

eventually becomes constant, the distance can't become constant during the fall of a body. :p

7. A

Acceleration is constant with uniformly increasing speed. B is increasing rate of speed, C is constant speed and D is at rest.

8. D

S is the distance from cliff to highest point. R is the distance from highest point to sea-level. We are looking for the distance of sea-level to cliff, which is R -

S.

9. B

K.E is ALWAYS conserved in elastic collisions, so K.E before impact is 0.5mv² + 0.5mv² = mv². That means after impact, the K.E should also be mv².

10. C

Fnet = ma.
12 - x = 4 * 0.6
x = 9.6 N.

11. B

0 = M1V1 + M2(-V2)
M1V1 = M2V2
V1/V2 = M2/M1

12. D

Fact. Upthrust is very small compared to weight. Also, drag is almost as large as weight not they are not the same (weight is a bit larger) so A and B are wrong.

13. C

Torque = 2 * PD

To find the perpendicular distance, find the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot and then multiply that by 2. To find the distance from the force to

14. C

15. D

Resolve the horizontal 3N and vertical 4N force to get a sideways 5N force which is in the same line as the diagonal 4N force. The resultant force has a magnitude of

16. D

17. C

The only work done is reducing the volume, and since the pressure is constant, work done is p(V1 - V2).

18. B

At Q, the potential energy is 50kJ less than P. This means that the 50kJ must have been converted to kinetic energy. So, K.E (Q) = K.E (P) + 50kJ = 55kJ. And 10 was

19. D

24 * 10³= 600 * V

20. B

Evaporation occurs over a range of temperatures, while the rest only occur at a fixed temperature.

21. A

The total volume is MD1/MD2. D1 is ρ and D2 is 2ρ, and that gives us the total volume has 3M/2ρ. Then just use the total density formula I wrote above.

22. C.

Stress = F/A
YM = stress/strain.

23. B

24. B

Area below a force/extension graph is energy (i.e. work done). In reducing l2 to l1, this part of the graph is MNQP.

25. C

Speed of electromagnetic waves is always constant, but the frequency will decrease because the wavelength increases.

R M I V U X Y

--> increasing frequency

26. B

λ = 4cm.
F = 1/T = 125 Hz.

27. B

28. C

Use the path difference formula (distance from one source - distance from other source) to create an equation involving X. S2x - S1X = λ/2. λ/2 because X is a minimum point.

29. D

v = fλ
v = 300(3) = 900.

30. B

Graph X - Diode
Graph Z - Lamp

You have to learn these I/V graphs. Also note that a thermistor/semi-conductor has a graph which is like the lamp but has an increasing gradient instead.

31. C

32. A

R = V²/R = 240²/100 = 576. However, this is when the filament is heated so it has increased by 16 times. The normal room temperature would therefore be 576/16 = 36.

33. C

34. C

Diagram 2 has the same setup as diagram 1 (2 lamps connected in each parallel setup). If you are confused about diagram 2, then just rotate it. Since they have the same setup, the brightness would obviously be the same.

35. C

The way I solved this was by trying each option until I calculated a 2V drop at R1 and 1V drop at R2. Find the total current using V = IR (where V is 5 and the total resistance is the sum of R1, R2 and R3) and then use the formula again at each resistor to find the voltage drop (5 - V).

36. A

The electron will accelerate towards the +ve plate so A. A is +ve because the field lines are directed from +ve to -ve.

37. D

Electric field strength is always a constant value for a field.

38. C

Fact.

39. A

40. C

Work backwards to figure this one out, and see what is happening to the nucleon number and proton number individually. Then # of neutrons is nucleon number - proton number.

thanx 4 ur interest and your time

Reaction score
June04 onwards today.

June 2002
==========

1. B

2. B

3. A

4. B

5. B

Uncertainity = 2(0.03) + 0.02 = 0.07 = 7%. You multiply the uncertainty of V twice because of the square.

6. D

7. A

8. D

S.

9. B

10. C

Fnet = ma.
12 - x = 4 * 0.6
x = 9.6 N.

11. B

0 = M1V1 + M2(-V2)
M1V1 = M2V2
V1/V2 = M2/M1

12. D

13. C

Torque = 2 * PD

14. C

15. D

16. D

17. C

18. B

19. D

24 * 10³= 600 * V

20. B

21. A

22. C.

Stress = F/A
YM = stress/strain.

23. B

24. B

25. C

R M I V U X Y

--> increasing frequency

26. B

λ = 4cm.
F = 1/T = 125 Hz.

27. B

28. C

29. D

v = fλ
v = 300(3) = 900.

30. B

Graph X - Diode
Graph Z - Lamp

31. C

32. A

33. C

34. C

35. C

36. A

37. D

38. C

Fact.

39. A

40. C

Thanks A LOT.

Reaction score

June 2002
==========

1. B

2. B

3. A

4. B

5. C

Uncertainity = 2(0.03) + 0.02 = 0.08 = 7%. You multiply the uncertainty of V twice because of the square.

6. D

7. A

8. D

S.

9. B

10. B

Fnet = ma.
12 - x = 4 * 0.6
x = 9.6 N.

11. B

0 = M1V1 + M2(-V2)
M1V1 = M2V2
V1/V2 = M2/M1

12. D

13. C

Torque = 2 * PD

14. C

15. D

16. D

17. C

18. B

19. D

24 * 10³= 600 * V

20. B

21. A

22. C.

Stress = F/A
YM = stress/strain.

23. B

24. B

25. C

R M I V U X Y

--> increasing frequency

26. B

λ = 4cm.
F = 1/T = 125 Hz.

27. B

28. C

29. D

v = fλ
v = 300(3) = 900.

30. B

Graph X - Diode
Graph Z - Lamp

31. C

32. A

33. C

34. C

35. C

36. A

37. D

38. C

Fact.

39. A

40. C

truly helpful.... thanx alot :rolleyes:

Reaction score
This is June 2004:

Q1: B ... Basic stuff
Q2: A...Derive the SI base units
Q3: A ...also basic stuff
Q4: C...each mark is 0.4
Q5: C...y sensitivity didnt change so same amplitude....time base increased so the frequency increases
Q6: C ... P=RI^2...get the % uncertanity for I which is 2%..add all the uncertanity...(2% x 2) + 2%= 6%
Q7: B... V^2= u^2 + 2as...so a=v^2 - u^2/2s = 20^2 - 10^2/ 2 x 100 = 1.5
Q8: D... AIR RESISTANCE is NOT negligible..so a must decrease with time..the only graph which shows a decrease is D
Q9: D...first Vertically..get the time using s=ut + 0.5 at^2...so 1.25= 0.5 x 9.81 x t^2...t=0.5, then v=d/t...10/0.5= 20 ms^-1
Q10: B...A and C are wrong...for D the weight is constant...B is correct because the resultant force acting on the ball must be zero at the time it hits the ground
Q11: A... total momentum = mv+mv...( 20000 x 20) + (900 x -30)= 373KNs... - 900 because the car is moving in the opposit direction
Q12: C...upthrust is always due to a difference in PRESSURE so C
Q13:A...the weight is from the middle point in the rod...so clockwise moment=anticlockwise moment so F x d=F x d so...from the weight to the pivot is 0.5 m so 50N x 0.5= W x ...W=25N
Q14: B...he said its in equillibrium in the question..so the triangle must have all its direction going one after another no arrow must meet..example in A, 40N meets with F so no equillibrium
Q15: D...basic power definition
Q16:sry didnt understand this well
Q:17: A...i dont know if my way is correct by i got it this way1/2 mv^2= 1/2 2m (0.5 x v^2)so after resolving,= 1/2 mv^2..so half the kinetic energy
Q 18: C... work done = Force in direction of motion x distance moved so 50kg x 9.80 ms^-2 x 1.6 = 784 about 780J
Q19: A... B is wrong..solids and liquids have approximately same space..C is wrong because liquid molecules do translate..D is wrong because solid molecules do vibrate
Q20: D..brownian motion..easy question
Q21: C...N is ATOMS PER UNIT VOLUME...so N/m^3 so density = m/v..so m divide by N/m^3 so M x m^3/N = the density because noe it is the volume per atom
Q22: A...strain energy is 1/2 F x
Q23: C... stress=F/ A, diameter is 1 so radius is 0.5mm so (0.5 x 10^-3) m .... A = pie x radius^2 so pie x ((0.5 x 10^-3)^2= 7.9 x 10^-7...F = stress x A = (1 x 10^9) x (7.9 x 10^-7)= 785.4 so C
24: B..sound waves can never be polarised becaus ethey are LONGITUDNAL as longitudnal waves can not be polarised
Q25: AGAIN SRY DIDNT KNOW IT
Q26: B...E/t =p which is accordingto the question it is E...so I=E/S...A^2=I so 2A^2 = 4I..and S is halfed so using the equation I=E/S...E is doubled
Q27: C..this stuff must be memorized
Q28: D...using d sin(theta)= n (lambda), lambda= (1.6 x 10^-6) sin (20) /1 =5.5 x 10^-7 so 550 x 10^-9 so D
Q29: D..electron is attracted to +ve charge which is at the left
Q30: A....F=EQ...E=v/d so F= v/d xQ=(200 x 10^6)/500 x (4 x 10^-12) = 1.6 x 10^-6
Q31: D...I=V/R, AND R=pL/A so ..I= V/pL/A...A =pie r^2 so [V/pL/pie x (1 x 10^-3)^2] divided by [V/pL/pie x (0.5 x 10^-3)^2] ...substitue u will reach to a point where it will be 1/0.25=4
Q32:B...W=QV ...so V=W/Q= JC^-1
Q33:C...because work is done on the internal resistance and so C
Q34:A...P=E/t= 12/15= 0.8W..P=VI...I=0.8/20= 0.040
Q35: D...resistance decrease so current increase. as I is indirectly proportional to R..so C or D...variable resistor resistance decrease so the other resistor resistance increase and so V is proportional to R and so V increase
Q 36: B...Basic stiff, it must be known and memorized
Q37: D....parrallel circuit so 1/R =1/R1+1/R2 + 1/R3...by trial fromevey given number and substituting to this equation..12 is the answer
Q38: C...Beta emission = proton numer is -1 and nucleon number is 0...so Pu has 241 nucleon number and 95 proton number...as 95 + (-1)=94...then alpha particel have proton number = 2 and nucleon number =4 so 241- 4= 237 and 95-2=93 so C
Q39: C...basic stuff acording to rutherford experiment
Q40: D..also basic stuff according to isotopes definition

Reaction score
This is June 2004:

Q1: B ... Basic stuff
Q2: A...Derive the SI base units
Q3: A ...also basic stuff
Q4: C...each mark is 0.4
Q5: C...y sensitivity didnt change so same amplitude....time base increased so the frequency increases
Q6: C ... P=RI^2...get the % uncertanity for I which is 2%..add all the uncertanity...(2% x 2) + 2%= 6%
Q7: B... V^2= u^2 + 2as...so a=v^2 - u^2/2s = 20^2 - 10^2/ 2 x 100 = 1.5
Q8: D... AIR RESISTANCE is NOT negligible..so a must decrease with time..the only graph which shows a decrease is D
Q9: D...first Vertically..get the time using s=ut + 0.5 at^2...so 1.25= 0.5 x 9.81 x t^2...t=0.5, then v=d/t...10/0.5= 20 ms^-1
Q10: B...A and C are wrong...for D the weight is constant...B is correct because the resultant force acting on the ball must be zero at the time it hits the ground
Q11: A... total momentum = mv+mv...( 20000 x 20) + (900 x -30)= 373KNs... - 900 because the car is moving in the opposit direction
Q12: C...upthrust is always due to a difference in PRESSURE so C
Q13:A...the weight is from the middle point in the rod...so clockwise moment=anticlockwise moment so F x d=F x d so...from the weight to the pivot is 0.5 m so 50N x 0.5= W x ...W=25N
Q14: B...he said its in equillibrium in the question..so the triangle must have all its direction going one after another no arrow must meet..example in A, 40N meets with F so no equillibrium
Q15: D...basic power definition
Q16:sry didnt understand this well
Q:17: A...i dont know if my way is correct by i got it this way1/2 mv^2= 1/2 2m (0.5 x v^2)so after resolving,= 1/2 mv^2..so half the kinetic energy
Q 18: C... work done = Force in direction of motion x distance moved so 50kg x 9.80 ms^-2 x 1.6 = 784 about 780J
Q19: A... B is wrong..solids and liquids have approximately same space..C is wrong because liquid molecules do translate..D is wrong because solid molecules do vibrate
Q20: D..brownian motion..easy question
Q21: C...N is ATOMS PER UNIT VOLUME...so N/m^3 so density = m/v..so m divide by N/m^3 so M x m^3/N = the density because noe it is the volume per atom
Q22: A...strain energy is 1/2 F x
Q23: C... stress=F/ A, diameter is 1 so radius is 0.5mm so (0.5 x 10^-3) m .... A = pie x radius^2 so pie x ((0.5 x 10^-3)^2= 7.9 x 10^-7...F = stress x A = (1 x 10^9) x (7.9 x 10^-7)= 785.4 so C
24: B..sound waves can never be polarised becaus ethey are LONGITUDNAL as longitudnal waves can not be polarised
Q25: AGAIN SRY DIDNT KNOW IT
Q26: B...E/t =p which is accordingto the question it is E...so I=E/S...A^2=I so 2A^2 = 4I..and S is halfed so using the equation I=E/S...E is doubled
Q27: C..this stuff must be memorized
Q28: D...using d sin(theta)= n (lambda), lambda= (1.6 x 10^-6) sin (20) /1 =5.5 x 10^-7 so 550 x 10^-9 so D
Q29: D..electron is attracted to +ve charge which is at the left
Q30: A....F=EQ...E=v/d so F= v/d xQ=(200 x 10^6)/500 x (4 x 10^-12) = 1.6 x 10^-6
Q31: D...I=V/R, AND R=pL/A so ..I= V/pL/A...A =pie r^2 so [V/pL/pie x (1 x 10^-3)^2] divided by [V/pL/pie x (0.5 x 10^-3)^2] ...substitue u will reach to a point where it will be 1/0.25=4
Q32:B...W=QV ...so V=W/Q= JC^-1
Q33:C...because work is done on the internal resistance and so C
Q34:A...P=E/t= 12/15= 0.8W..P=VI...I=0.8/20= 0.040
Q35: D...resistance decrease so current increase. as I is indirectly proportional to R..so C or D...variable resistor resistance decrease so the other resistor resistance increase and so V is proportional to R and so V increase
Q 36: B...Basic stiff, it must be known and memorized
Q37: D....parrallel circuit so 1/R =1/R1+1/R2 + 1/R3...by trial fromevey given number and substituting to this equation..12 is the answer
Q38: C...Beta emission = proton numer is -1 and nucleon number is 0...so Pu has 241 nucleon number and 95 proton number...as 95 + (-1)=94...then alpha particel have proton number = 2 and nucleon number =4 so 241- 4= 237 and 95-2=93 so C
Q39: C...basic stuff acording to rutherford experiment
Q40: D..also basic stuff according to isotopes definition

want some more man!!! really helpful stuff!!!