• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS psychology P1 any guesses??

Reaction score
hy..
guys post any doubts or predcted qustions for AS p1 ppr here!!:)
since the paper is on friday we surly need some last minute revision.

Reaction score
I really hope to get some advice on this topic too, and I have some time so I'll share my words of wisdom to all us future psychologists: first and most important - LITTLE HANS! ALWAYS! That guy never fails to turn up on the short answer questions! Usually more than once! :D Now, remember that the syllabus changed in May/June 2012, so I also suspect they'll be throwing in some of the studies new to the syllabus which didn't appear in past papers quite as often until now, such as Emphasizing / Systemizing predicts entry into Physical or Natural sciences (Billington et al.), Mirror gazing in BDD disorder and such. I personally hate the new studies added to the syllabus and much preferred the old ones, but I guess we'll just have to learn them by heart!
Next, a trend I noticed in recent past papers is that the short answer questions have begun asking for more and more quantitative data (exact numbers) for full marks (e.g. the exact IQ of Eve Black and Eve White, the exact number of people who obeyed to maximum voltage in the Milgram experiment, exactly how many times out of how many times the victim received spontaneous help in the subway Samaritan experiment) so I would strongly suggest you draw out a table or something summarizing the main QUANTITATIVE results of the studies which include results in numeric form. It's a stupid way to test knowledge of psychology in my opinion, because it doesn't test if you can really understand and apply the core studies, only if you can memorize a stupid set of numbers by heart, and I really think it's the worst thing to be in an an exam, just something you had to learn and remember and write down o_O
Next, ALL the SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY studies (Milgram, Tajfel, Zimbardo and Piliavin) have almost ALWAYS come up in recent past papers, so really put an emphasis on learning those well, I think that's really the best single piece of advice I can give you.
Section B changed with the new syllabus, and now it consists of two compulsory essay questions. The new syllabus has been in effect for only four examination sessions so far, but Section B ALWAYS looked like this:
Q1 Evaluate one of the three studies in terms of just general strengths and weaknesses (so anything you can think of, from ethical issues, to real world applications etc.) (REMEMBER for top marks, you'll need to consider two strengths and two weaknesses in depth)
Q2 Evaluate one of the three studies in terms of <some aspect of psychological work> (such as it's ecological validity, its usefullness, real life application etc.)
The studies in Section B are usually the more famous ones like Milgram or Freud or something like that, and since you can choose a study from a choice of three, it's very likely there will be at least one which you are very familiar with and will know in-depth, so I wouldn't worry about section B too much.
Section A on the other hand, can be a nightmare. All those 2-4 mark question makes it very hard to gain many points because it tests knowledge over a VERY broad range of details of the studies, and even those who spent hours learning the studies will probably have difficulty remembering that much information and details.
This all sound pretty grim, but I have two pieces of very good news for you!
You will have plenty of time for the examination ;) Since most questions in section A require an answer of one to two sentences, and Section B has been notably shortened with the new syllabus, yet the time for the examination remains the same, you will most likely have a lot of time to answer all the questions. The problem with psychology though, is that if you don't know the question, you won't know it no matter how much time you spend thinking about it. In Maths, sometimes you'll have no idea how to solve a question, and then you'll think about it for a while, and the answer/method will occur to you and you'll end up getting the correct answer. With psychology though, if you just don't know if Hans's favourite colour was purple or orange or green or Oedipus complex, the chances are you won't remember it no matter how much time you spend trying to. So just make sure you are well preprepared for the exam with many details of the studies under your belt and a good knowledge of the results of all the studies when you enter the examination room and you'll finish that exam in half an hour! Good luck btw! :)
And the BEST news is that with the new syllabus, the grade thresholds have really gone down, and you'll on average need about 50 points out of 80 for an A, never more than 55. If anything, that is a really generous threshold, and getting an A shouldn't be so hard! Hopefully we all get 60 points or more and a certain A! Good luck to all!
Myself, I have to admit I haven't even read some of the less important studies like that with taxi drivers or that with olfactory cues modulate facial attractiveness, and will be dedicating the whole of tomorrow to studying those! Hope I manage to learn them all in time! :D
Anyway, that's all the advice I have to share with you, I hope somebody else joins in and we can all help and support each other until Friday to get As together! If anybody has some more advice or tricks they would like to share in this thread, it would be VERY appreciated because I think that if we help each other, together we will travel the way to perfect exam results! I hope to find more people joining in this thread until Friday so we can help each other! Good luck to all! (y)

Reaction score
Currently studying psychology hard, I was just studying the Revised Eyes Test study today after I wrote the post above and I wrote up some comprehensive notes on the study which I think are very helpful. I'm uploading them here in hopes they will help someone else too! :love: They helped me a lot!
If I make any more notes like these, I will be uploading them in this thread, but I would also very much appreciate if anybody would like to share their own AS psychology notes here to help the rest of us! :) Through mutual help and understanding we will all achieve perfect results! Onwards to victory!

Just to clear things up, the notes are on the study:
Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., Hill, J., Raste, Y. and Plumb, I. (2001)
The 'Reading the Mind in the eyes' test revised version: A study with normal adults, and adults with Asperger Syndrome or High-Functioning autism
Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
Hope the notes help you as they have helped me! Good Luck!

Attachments

• Revised Eyes Test Study - AS PSYCHOLOGY NOTES.docx
    20 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
here is a rely quick n easy summary of the rellyyy long study on taxi drivers! hope it hlps..

Attachments

• Recalling Routes Around London.docx
    166.8 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
if anyone has summarised notes on the Bilington study, please post here.

Reaction score
equus231, You really helped alot thanks :)
i was bored yesterday, so I decided to compile some data on each study, I only did 13 studies, and then got too tired ._. Ill post it here, if you guys find it helpful then tell me I'll complete the rest :)
they only contain the sample of each study and their results. I feel we've done them enough all year long that we should know the procedure and analysis and issues and whatnot by now -.-
Again, i feel it can be helpful for just a quick revision on the last day ^-^
If i made any mistakes please let me know :0
cheers

Attachments

• AS psychology.docx
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
Reaction score
any predictions for Section B? i'm not quite happy with the change of pattern. the marks have decreased but the content is tougher :/

Reaction score
any predictions for Section B? i'm not quite happy with the change of pattern. the marks have decreased but the content is tougher :/
There's not a lot to base a prediction on for section B, but i wouldn't worry too much about it, i personally prefer it over Section A, since you have a choice, there's always going to be one that you have lots of knowledge of, and relevant well structured answers can easily score 8 or 9 out of 10 :) Read examiner reports of recent papers to see what the examiner is looking for, they help alot.

Reaction score
Wow, I just woke up and logged-in to xtremepapers and I'm thrilled to see this thread thriving and more and more people joining in! I'm so so happy that more people are sharing their revision notes and helping each other out! :love: Thank you so much everybody! (y) Also very glad to see my post helped people and encouraged them too see how realistic getting an A is!
Alright gang, the exam is in approximately 24 hours, so let's make a game plan here so we can all help each other and make the most of the last-minute revision time we have left! As wise words of wisdom say: "Failing to plan is planning to fail!" so let's plan to succeed to get perfect results tomorrow!
First of all, a huge thanks to Sarosh Manzar for uploading his compilation of samples and quantitative results of many of the studies! I, myself, think the compilation is brilliant and very helpful and will be of huge help to all of us when we're revising late in the evening tonight! ;) A big thanks to you mate!
A big thanks to xxfarhaxx too for her very comprehensive summary of the taxi drivers study! I know I, for one, will definitely be using it to revise, so thank you very much once again! :) And a final thanks to mariamf for her glossary of terms, I'm sure they will come in useful to improve our scientific language when answering questions!
I personally think the only and the most important thing we can do right now to get us ready in the best way for tomorrow is to read over and make as many short yet comprehensive summaries of the required studies as possible so we can remember the really key points and the important details for the exam! So that's exactly what I'm gonna do, and I will be sharing my summaries in this thread when I finish them :D Let's review how we're doing with the studies:
  • Milgram, Freud, Zimbardo, Tajfel, Piliavin and Bandura are, I would say the most famous and the most important studies (at least I know I personally spent around 50% of my studying psychology learning them, if anybody thinks different, let him/her please say so) so I am going to suppose we are all very familiar with them by now and should know them more in-depth and better than the other studies, so I think Sarosh Manzar's quantitative results and samples are the only revision we really need for those studies! Therefore, I won't dedicate as much time to them.
  • Recalling routes around London, the Revised Eyes test study and the Billington summaries are published in this thread by Sarosh Manzar, xxfarhaxx and yours truly!
That's a total of 9 studies done with then! Still 11 more to go though! Phew! :coffee: We can do them with joined forces though!

As for myself, I will now have to turn off my internet (I can never work properly with the internet on, I just find it too distracting) and will be dedicating the next two-three hours to summarizing the following studies:
  • Held, R. and Hein, A. (1963) - Movement-Produced Stimulation in the Development of Visually Guided Behavior - Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology
  • Langlois, J.H., Ritter, J.M., Roggman, L.A. and Vaughn, L.S. (1991) - Facial Diversity and Infant Preferences for Attractive Faces - Developmental Psychology
I expect it will take me about three hours (I type really slow lol) to summarise the two of them comprehensively and effectively. I will be returning here as soon as I'm finished to publish them here to help anybody who might find them helpful! :)
That my plan for now, I hope somebody else decides to join in and summarize some more studies today. Personally, I think the next two most important studies which have the least information about them on the internet are Nelson, S.A. (1980) - Factors Influencing Young Children's Use of Motives and Outcomes as Moral
Criteria and Mann, S., Vrij, A. and Bull, R. (2002) - Suspects, Lies, and Videotape: An Analysis of Authentic High-Stake Liars, but of course that's just my opinion and anybody might disagree with me and you are all free to do what you like, it's important to do what you enjoy and not have to force yourself to do it! :D
See you all when I'm finished with the summaries! Brillant job everybody so far! (y) Let's keep it up! :)

Reaction score
Wow, I just woke up and logged-in to xtremepapers and I'm thrilled to see this thread thriving and more and more people joining in! I'm so so happy that more people are sharing their revision notes and helping each other out! :love: Thank you so much everybody! (y) Also very glad to see my post helped people and encouraged them too see how realistic getting an A is!
Alright gang, the exam is in approximately 24 hours, so let's make a game plan here so we can all help each other and make the most of the last-minute revision time we have left! As wise words of wisdom say: "Failing to plan is planning to fail!" so let's plan to succeed to get perfect results tomorrow!
First of all, a huge thanks to Sarosh Manzar for uploading his compilation of samples and quantitative results of many of the studies! I, myself, think the compilation is brilliant and very helpful and will be of huge help to all of us when we're revising late in the evening tonight! ;) A big thanks to you mate!
A big thanks to xxfarhaxx too for her very comprehensive summary of the taxi drivers study! I know I, for one, will definitely be using it to revise, so thank you very much once again! :) And a final thanks to mariamf for her glossary of terms, I'm sure they will come in useful to improve our scientific language when answering questions!
I personally think the only and the most important thing we can do right now to get us ready in the best way for tomorrow is to read over and make as many short yet comprehensive summaries of the required studies as possible so we can remember the really key points and the important details for the exam! So that's exactly what I'm gonna do, and I will be sharing my summaries in this thread when I finish them :D Let's review how we're doing with the studies:
  • Milgram, Freud, Zimbardo, Tajfel, Piliavin and Bandura are, I would say the most famous and the most important studies (at least I know I personally spent around 50% of my studying psychology learning them, if anybody thinks different, let him/her please say so) so I am going to suppose we are all very familiar with them by now and should know them more in-depth and better than the other studies, so I think Sarosh Manzar's quantitative results and samples are the only revision we really need for those studies! Therefore, I won't dedicate as much time to them.
  • Recalling routes around London, the Revised Eyes test study and the Billington summaries are published in this thread by Sarosh Manzar, xxfarhaxx and yours truly!
That's a total of 9 studies done with then! Still 11 more to go though! Phew! :coffee: We can do them with joined forces though!

As for myself, I will now have to turn off my internet (I can never work properly with the internet on, I just find it too distracting) and will be dedicating the next two-three hours to summarizing the following studies:
  • Held, R. and Hein, A. (1963) - Movement-Produced Stimulation in the Development of Visually Guided Behavior - Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology
  • Langlois, J.H., Ritter, J.M., Roggman, L.A. and Vaughn, L.S. (1991) - Facial Diversity and Infant Preferences for Attractive Faces - Developmental Psychology
I expect it will take me about three hours (I type really slow lol) to summarise the two of them comprehensively and effectively. I will be returning here as soon as I'm finished to publish them here to help anybody who might find them helpful! :)
That my plan for now, I hope somebody else decides to join in and summarize some more studies today. Personally, I think the next two most important studies which have the least information about them on the internet are Nelson, S.A. (1980) - Factors Influencing Young Children's Use of Motives and Outcomes as Moral
Criteria and Mann, S., Vrij, A. and Bull, R. (2002) - Suspects, Lies, and Videotape: An Analysis of Authentic High-Stake Liars, but of course that's just my opinion and anybody might disagree with me and you are all free to do what you like, it's important to do what you enjoy and not have to force yourself to do it! :D
See you all when I'm finished with the summaries! Brillant job everybody so far! (y) Let's keep it up! :)

i have a powerpoint presentation which is a good summary of langlois i'l upload it! can you do heldand hein and nelson? and please try uploading them asap

Reaction score
I am thrilled to see the enthusiasm you have to help everybody study xD I'm glad I ran into this post :D Can't wait for the summaries. As for my part, ill finish the remainder of 7 studies in my document on samples and results
and seriously you type slow? o_O doesn't seem that way at all xD

Reaction score
i have a powerpoint presentation which is a good summary of langlois i'l upload it! can you do heldand hein and nelson? and please try uploading them asap
If you are sure it's a good summary of Langlois then I'll leave that to you then! Thank you very much! :)
So I will be doing Held & Hein and Nelson! I'll be back when I finish them! See you soon! :D

Reaction score
I am thrilled to see the enthusiasm you have to help everybody study xD I'm glad I ran into this post :D Can't wait for the summaries. As for my part, ill finish the remainder of 7 studies in my document on samples and results
and seriously you type slow? o_O doesn't seem that way at all xD
Thank you very much! :love: I just think we can all use all the help we can get during this last-minute revision time and I'm more than happy to help anybody who finds use in my summaries! My philosophy is "If you want to go quick, travel alone, If you want to go far, travel with others!". And right now we need to go far and fast through the road to perfect results, so we need to travel together and help each other! And yea, I type really slow. It took me like half an hour to type that first message I posted in this thread! :eek:
Thank you very much for your quantitative summaries mate! They are really helpful! :)