• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIO Doubts..here..everyone!!

Reaction score
for active transport it is better to use all the definition given in the syllabus my teacher said it is guaranteed, except watch out for the hormone one because you have to mention endocrine gland produces it
oh anyway active transport: is the movement of ions in or out of the cell through the cell membrane, from regions of their lower concentration to a region of their higher concentration against a concentration gradient, using energy released during respiration

n here is the definition of hormone bcuz i might have confused you
hormone: it is a chemical substance, produced by the endocrine gland, that is carried by the blood and alters the activity of one or more target organs and is then destroyed by the liver..

Reaction score
hey, i have a qs : when they ask for the "effects", what do they actually mean ? for example, in this paper : http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... _qp_32.pdf ---> q3(c) --- the mark scheme said the following:
descriptive comment on difference between Fig. 3.1 and 3.2 ;
A data quote for any one of the results shown in Table 3.1
muscle ;
respires faster ; R breathes faster (as this is for MP1)
idea that more, energy / ATP, released / needed ;
aerobic respiration ;
idea that requires more oxygen ; A ref to more oxygenated
blood
idea that remove more carbon dioxide ;
change to breathing maintains
pH of blood ;
oxygen concentration ;
carbon dioxide concentration ;
prevents (much) anaerobic respiration occurring ;
prevents build up of, lactic acid / lactate ; R removes
prevents oxygen debt ; R repays
AVP ; e.g. ref. to homeostasis, contraction of muscle ----
I didnt really think f it this way, i thought by effects of exercise they meant increased rate of breathing and increased depth of breathing and so on....
Please help

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
for active transport it is better to use all the definition given in the syllabus my teacher said it is guaranteed, except watch out for the hormone one because you have to mention endocrine gland produces it
oh anyway active transport: is the movement of ions in or out of the cell through the cell membrane, from regions of their lower concentration to a region of their higher concentration against a concentration gradient, using energy released during respiration

n here is the definition of hormone bcuz i might have confused you
hormone: it is a chemical substance, produced by the endocrine gland, that is carried by the blood and alters the activity of one or more target organs and is then destroyed by the liver..

Thanks this really helped :Yahoo!:

Reaction score
Xenarra said:
shan5674 said:
Oh by the way, i got another doubt :oops:

Can u define "active transport" for me please- Is my definition right? (Active transport is when special carrier proteins on the membrane of a cell picks up substances and transports them from one side of the cell to the other) :S coz last time i came across two past papers that asked the same question but one had a completely different definition that was something like the definition for diffusion and one was the same as mine, so im confused how do i know when to use which definition? and is my definition right?

I also lost marks in my mock exam for writing down that definition so i really dont know :/

Hey,

OK,,that is not what i learnt about active transport...heres what i learnt:
Active transport is the net movement of gases against the concentration gradient using energy from respiration. EG: used to move nitrate ions from soil to the root and into stem, petal and leaves.

thanks aloot :Yahoo!:

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:
hey, i have a qs : when they ask for the "effects", what do they actually mean ? for example, in this paper : http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... _qp_32.pdf ---> q3(c) --- the mark scheme said the following:
descriptive comment on difference between Fig. 3.1 and 3.2 ;
A data quote for any one of the results shown in Table 3.1
muscle ;
respires faster ; R breathes faster (as this is for MP1)
idea that more, energy / ATP, released / needed ;
aerobic respiration ;
idea that requires more oxygen ; A ref to more oxygenated
blood
idea that remove more carbon dioxide ;
change to breathing maintains
pH of blood ;
oxygen concentration ;
carbon dioxide concentration ;
prevents (much) anaerobic respiration occurring ;
prevents build up of, lactic acid / lactate ; R removes
prevents oxygen debt ; R repays
AVP ; e.g. ref. to homeostasis, contraction of muscle ----
I didnt really think f it this way, i thought by effects of exercise they meant increased rate of breathing and increased depth of breathing and so on....
Please help

heyy,

i guess you are suppose to talk about anaerobic exercise and oxygen debt so you answer should be something like this:

As the student exercises his/her muscles need more energy and oxygen so the heart starts to beats faster in order to provide the muscles with sufficient oxygen so more oxygen is taken to the muscles and this prevents the muscles from breathing anaerobically and forming lactic acid on the muscles in other words prevents oxygen debt.

this is how i usually write it :) hope it helped :)

Reaction score
i remember it is that we continue breathing even after finishing the exercise because the lactic acid needs to be oxidized or other wise it causes muscular fatiguness if not removed
but i don't think this is enough :/

Reaction score
during tough exersise muscles will respire anaerobicaly to produce lactic acid . after exercise you take in extra oxygen which is the oxygen debt to break down lactic acid in muscles other ways it will cause cramps . thats only what we need to know ;) . good luck

Reaction score
how does root cells synthesis starch ???? i cant understand what the hell is this !! pls help !!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Can anyone explains what happens in eutrophication again? After the leeching of nitrates/fertilizers into lakes...
Would be greatly appreciated.
A few points about sewage treatment too :S

Reaction score
Divalicious said:
Can anyone explains what happens in eutrophication again? After the leeching of nitrates/fertilizers into lakes...
Would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,
ok hen nitrates and fertilizers get in to the pond, river etc...the algae get a source of nutirent and strat growing rapidly....they cover the top part of the pond...the bacteria starts increasing and feed on the algae and the amount oxygen get used up and so the fish die or move away. the algae covering the top part blocks the sunlight and so the underwater plants die too...thats it mainly i guess..

BR,
Xenarra

Reaction score
wait i think u got this a bit mixed up :/
i know that when an amount of fertilizers or any minerals reach a lack or any source of water habitat that has algae..the algae will grow very rapidally and since they are on top of the water they grow blocking the sunlight..the underwater plants are unable to photosynthesis and so they die, the decomposers ( i guess bacteria in this case) start feeding on these dead plants producing carbon dioxide as well..now there is no oxygen and carbon dioxde that makes the water acidic thus the marine animals would die and this also gives the decomposers even more food.

about sewege treatment you could mention that this method avoids the harmful effect of the microorganisms that in the sewege to reach the water streams, also to help prevent eutrophication, and also this water could be used for every day life...however knowing it is expensive

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
i have a question what is cellulose made of? protein?

Hey,

Cellulose is made from carbohydrate...namely long chains of glucose molecules. These chains form microscopic fibers which are laid down to form cell walls in plants cells.

BR,
Xenarra

Reaction score
freakedout said:
Is the nephron there in the syllabus?? :s
Hey,

You just have to know that a nephron is a single glomerulus with its renal capsule, renal tubule and blood capillaries.

BR,
Xenarra

Reaction score
freakedout said:
Is the nephron there in the syllabus?? :s

Just know that there is a glomerulus, Bowman's capsule, loop of Helne, tubule and collecting duct. It is important to relate ultrafiltration and selective reabsorbtion to these structures too.

Reaction score
Good luck to everyone today.. :D

By the way, about the role of Penicillum in the production of penicillin...
Basically, it is a fungus which produces penicillin when it is put under stress conditions, which means that it isn't normally produced during active growth..

If you want to read more: Click Here!