• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Bio paper 2 on 24th!!

Reaction score
l
Al Salam Alaikum! I wanted to ask you guys, as you know biology paper 2 is on 24th so only 8 days are left , any plan for me to finish the syllabus and pastpapers in a good way :) thanks
wsalam
look just read and learn the AS portion of book
this may/june literally there was no question from past paper (i had an A* in it MashAllah)
the paper was easy but it was mostly unseen

Reaction score
Do we have to learn the hormonal cycle and evolution? can anyone please answer because I find these topics very confusing and I dont want to learn it!
yes you have to do the hormonal cycle (download the application booklet of biology for alevel, google it, and do it from there) THIS IS FOR A2

as far as evolution you have to remember what does allopatric speciation etc mean. Go through question papers and there would be a common type of question

how can geographic barriers create new species when a population of birds was separated?
just learn the answer

change in gene pool
mutation
change in gene frequency etc etc

Reaction score
Could anyone anyone share how to calculate the volume of oxygen consumption, breathing rate etc?

Reaction score
yeah i did, but am unable to carry out the calculation involving oxygen consumption! btw, which book do you use?

Reaction score
Hello there.
Can anyone clear this doubt in me:
At high partial pressures of carbon dioxide, does how fast oxyhaemoglobin releases its oxygen molecules i mean:

HbO8 ----> HbO6 + O2
HbO6 ----> HbO4 + O2
HbO4 ----> HbO2 + O2
HbO2 --->Hb + O2

Down these equations, is the reaction going fast to fastest or slow to slowest? and Why?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hello there.
Can anyone clear this doubt in me:
At high partial pressures of carbon dioxide, does how fast oxyhaemoglobin releases its oxygen molecules i mean:

HbO8 ----> HbO6 + O2
HbO6 ----> HbO4 + O2
HbO4 ----> HbO2 + O2
HbO2 --->Hb + O2

Down these equations, is the reaction going fast to fastest or slow to slowest? and Why?

Thanks
look when one molecule of oxygen attaches to haemoglobin, it makes the attachment of 2nd oxygen molecule easier, and it makes the 3rd one's attachment easier (its written in cambridge university press book)

so conversely speaking (when we reverse the equations, just like chemical reactions in chemistry. The reaction which is good in forward direction, is poor in backward direction)
when one oxygen molecule leaves, it makes it harder for the next oxygen molecule to leave (

so
hb08----> hbo6 + 02 is fastest
and hb02 ----->hb +o2 is slowest

I HOPE THAT IM CORRECT BUT IM NOT SURE

Reaction score
salams guys..bio paper tomorrow and am freakin out..any deductions on what topics are definately going to come..?

Reaction score
salams guys..bio paper tomorrow and am freakin out..any deductions on what topics are definately going to come..?
yes Bio paper tomorow Good Luck to ALL! :D hmm revize the whole syllabus man thats the only way ,, most of the chapters are imp, everything comes and there is no repition in paper 2 so anything might come so just revize as much as u can!! :D and Please remember us in your prayers all of u :)

Reaction score
Could you please answer the SAQ 11.4 (page 146) part b (iii) for me?! am not getting 0.38dm3 min^-1!

N.M

Reaction score
Could you please answer the SAQ 11.4 (page 146) part b (iii) for me?! am not getting 0.38dm3 min^-1!
Aoa wr wb,
See the question says that the chamber does not rises to the same height with each breath b/c O2 is absorbed in the lungs...
So you can simply calculate the fall in height over 1 min which comes out to be 1.5 box
If 4 boxes represent 1dm3
So 1.5 ---------> x
Solve it using unitary method
X = 1.5/4
X= 0.38 dm3min^-1

Reaction score
Aoa wr wb,
See the question says that the chamber does not rises to the same height with each breath b/c O2 is absorbed in the lungs...
So you can simply calculate the fall in height over 1 min which comes out to be 1.5 box
If 4 boxes represent 1dm3
So 1.5 ---------> x
Solve it using unitary method
X = 1.5/4
X= 0.38 dm3min^-1
this is A2 right? :O

Reaction score
well the threshold cant be really low like 24 or 28 marks for A
i guess if we score 47+ we can get A
and just do the pp so that u come to know in which topics u are weak... and revise those topics from notes or book...
hope this helps, best of luck to everyone, hope we all ace it :D

Reaction score
Enzyme molecules in cells eventually stop working and are broken down.
Outline how cells replace the enzymes that are broken down.

Can you guys answer this question? I know about Transcription and Translation. I just want a summary of it as this question is only worth 3 points.

Winter 2011 Question 2(c)

Reaction score
Enzyme molecules in cells eventually stop working and are broken down.
Outline how cells replace the enzymes that are broken down.

Can you guys answer this question? I know about Transcription and Translation. I just want a summary of it as this question is only worth 3 points.

Winter 2011 Question 2(c)
Just say about protein synthesis process! Transcription and translation