• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Re: Biology,Chemistry & Physics Help Available Here !

multixamza01 said:
Need help. What is the chemical formula of potassium sulfate? is it K2SO4 or KSO2?
its K2SO4

Reaction score

He has already been helped but anyways thanks !

Reaction score

salam guys can somebody plz tell me wats the diff b/t follows:
1)Allele
2)Gene
3)DNA
4Chromosomes!
tnx for the help!
:D

Reaction score

Chromosome - Athread of DNA , made up of a string of genes .
Gene - A length of DNA that is the unit of heredity and codes for a specific protein.
Allele - The different forms of a gene .

i hope this may help u ..:)

Reaction score

am still confused bout diff b/t DNA n Chromosome.......

Reaction score

@multixamza01
Formula for Potassium Sulphate is K2SO4 because valency (or charge of Potassium is +1) and sulphate ion is -2. So, K2SO4

Reaction score

Can I have some notes on biotechnology and microorganisms.
URGENT

Reaction score

This thread needs a wake up call !!!
(Chemistry)
1. Difference between an electrolyte and non - electrolyte.
2. Why is Iodine a sublimable solid?
3. Excess and Limiting Reagents?
4. Why is water a bad conductor of electricity?

::: Now answer :::
P.S I already know the answers , but just solve them anyway. More practice for you! :)

Reaction score

dude first of all chill out as we go further close to exams people will come back to XPF and ask questions so it doesnt mean that u always will find a ques in here !

1.An electrolyte is an ionic compound which is in liquid state that is dissolved in water or molten and it decomposes to its constituent elements which help in electricity conduction ! while non electrolyte is none of this ! :D

2.i guess because of it being a halogen and having weak forces of attraction and all that thing associated with covalent molecules ! Ill be happy if u tell the whole story why it is sublimable !

3.In a chemical reaction the reactant left after even the reaction is over is excess reagent while when The reagent that is completely used up or reacted is called the limiting reagent !

4.Water is a bad conductor as it is made up of covalent bonds in which the bonds are shared and all electrons are used up and therefore it does not allow for the conduction of electricity as electricity is conducted by electrons !

Reaction score

scouserlfc said:
.An electrolyte is an ionic compound which is in liquid state that is dissolved in water or molten and it decomposes to its constituent elements which help in electricity conduction ! while non electrolyte is none of this ! :D

Electrolytes are substances that allow electric current to pass through them. Just as simple as that. You don't need to write the whole book in the paper. This shows how little you understand Chemistry. :p

scouserlfc said:
2.i guess because of it being a halogen and having weak forces of attraction and all that thing associated with covalent molecules ! Ill be happy if u tell the whole story why it is sublimable !

The iodine molecules are held together by weak intermolecular forces , which need a relatively less amount of energy to break. Thus iodine sublimes (i.e turns to gas) at a low temperature.

scouserlfc said:
3.In a chemical reaction the reactant left after even the reaction is over is excess reagent while when The reagent that is completely used up or reacted is called the limiting reagent !

Correct.

scouserlfc said:
4.Water is a bad conductor as it is made up of covalent bonds in which the bonds are shared and all electrons are used up and therefore it does not allow for the conduction of electricity as electricity is conducted by electrons !

Again a vague answer. It is general knowledge that if we touch a switch with wet hands we risk getting an electric shock. Why then here i claim that water is a bad conductor. That was the question.

Reaction score

Seriously man u think just writing that Electrolytes are substance which pass electric current will get u 1 mark they are and shud be ionic substances and then when ionic they shud be molten so u have to write the whole answer ! like i did ! Do know that examiners are looking for key words like ionic,molten and good conductors if they see that then only will thy give u a mark ! :)

While for Q4 u are correct but what i have written is also partially correct,Pure water wont conduct elect. but impure will as it contains some salts in it which cause polarisation in water molecules causing them to split into positive and negative ions thats why it starts conducting this can also be seen if u test water pure one,it will not conduct but as soon as some HCL is dissolved then it conducts !

Sry if my words look like im mad or scolding u i never wanted that thanks ! :oops:

Reaction score

Q When solid X is added to solution Y, copper(ii) chloride and carbon dioxide gas are formed. However, when solid Z is added to solution Y, zinc chloride and hydrogen are produced .Deduce the identities of X,Y and Z

Reaction score

i think u missed something !
in the first reaction u missed out water as the product !
If thats the case then X is CopperCarbonate
Y=HCl
Z=Zn

Reaction score

BUT IT WILL PRODUCE WATER ALSO... THE QUESTION MENTIONS COPPER CHLORIDE AND CARBON DIOXIDE AS THE ONLY PRODUCTS

Reaction score

but it will have to be as there is no other reaction which happens like this with HCl as only carbonates can produce CO2 so thats the only choice so whats the answer and is this a PP ques !