• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Please any anyone help..
This belongs in the Mathematics section :p
Still, Median for even number = n/2 th term, n+2/2 th term,
Therefore,
Median = 12/2 , 14/2 = 6th and 7th term,
From table,
Median = 2+3/2
Median = 2.5
Hope that helps. :)

Reaction score
Reaction score
What are bistable and astable circuits? Explain in o level language please...The other websites gives a complicated explanation
PS: What is a function of a transistor??

Reaction score
What are bistable and astable circuits? Explain in o level language please...The other websites gives a complicated explanation
almost every skul skips this topic. the reason being that these topics come in a question which comes as an option ALWAYS!

Reaction score
Bistable circuits are circuits that consist of logic gates (NOR gates from what I've learnt) that has ONE stable output for the two inputs. If you change one of the inputs (only one pulse is needed to change it), then the output flips to the other STABLE output (e.g. if it was 0 it would become 1) and if we change the other input it flops back to the original stable output (back to 0 in this case) hence one input is used to set the output while the other is used to RESET it, they are used to flip-flop the outputs from one state to another. It exhibits the signs of memory since it reverts back to its old STABLE output (as it went back to 0 from 1 after the second change of input). It is used in computer circuits since computers need to store data in binary digits (0 & 1).

Astable circuits/multivibrators consist of a number of resistors, capacitors and logic gates (NOT gate), it does not have a stable output, its output continuously changes from one to the other (e.g 0,1,0,1,0,1). If we increase the resistance and/or capacitance then the time between the changes in output becomes larger and hence the outputs change with less frequency. It is used in ticking clocks and flashing lights (indicators and toys).

Transistors are amplifiers and switches, they act as an voltage switch (they only let current pass through it when a high enough voltage/current passes through in the correct DIRECTION), they are also used as amplifiers for magnifying currents/signals.
Hope that helps :)

Reaction score
Bistable circuits are circuits that consist of logic gates (NOR gates from what I've learnt) that has ONE stable output for the two inputs. If you change one of the inputs (only one pulse is needed to change it), then the output flips to the other STABLE output (e.g. if it was 0 it would become 1) and if we change the other input it flops back to the original stable output (back to 0 in this case) hence one input is used to set the output while the other is used to RESET it, they are used to flip-flop the outputs from one state to another. It exhibits the signs of memory since it reverts back to its old STABLE output (as it went back to 0 from 1 after the second change of input). It is used in computer circuits since computers need to store data in binary digits (0 & 1).

Astable circuits/multivibrators consist of a number of resistors, capacitors and logic gates (NOT gate), it does not have a stable output, its output continuously changes from one to the other (e.g 0,1,0,1,0,1). If we increase the resistance and/or capacitance then the time between the changes in output becomes larger and hence the outputs change with less frequency. It is used in ticking clocks and flashing lights (indicators and toys).

Transistors are amplifiers and switches, they act as an voltage switch (they only let current pass through it when a high enough voltage/current passes through in the correct DIRECTION), they are also used as amplifiers for magnifying currents/signals.
Hope that helps :)

saad can you please tell what type of questions come from this topic, as i haven't seen any so far on them?

Reaction score
I haven't either. :D
However, its in the syllabus,
use of bistable circuits and how they exhibit memory.
use of astable circuits and how resistance/capacitance affects the frequency.

Reaction score
I haven't either. :D
However, its in the syllabus,
use of bistable circuits and how they exhibit memory.
use of astable circuits and how resistance/capacitance affects the frequency.

why i cant find it in book? where can i read about them. ur explanation does not make sense to me :p

Reaction score
when you gave the example of bistable circuit, one input decides the output and the other is used to reset it. Now suppose if input number 1 is 1 and the other input is 0 in nor gate, we get a 0. Now if we set the second input to 1 too, it would still remain 0. then how is the second input used to reset the whole thing. What do you mean by reset?

Reaction score
why i cant find it in book? where can i read about them. ur explanation does not make sense to me :p
I read it off the internet and from the Stephen Pople book.
I'll explain it to you in another way.
Bistable circuit consists of two NOR gates (simple bistable circuit, the circuit diagram is irrelevant) that are cross-coupled. It may work in a fancy manner but its task is ultimately to keep one STABLE (constant) output (0 for eg.) for the two inputs (1,1 for e.g). If we change one of the inputs (for example if the inputs are Q and R and we change R) then the output will change to the other STABLE option (i.e. 1 in this case). If we then change Q then the output will revert back to 0. Hence, R is used to set the output and Q is used to reset it. It exhibits the signs of memory since eventually it reverts back to its original output hence it remembers its original output (i.e. 0 in this case). It is used in computer circuits for storing binary digits.

Astable circuits have no stable output, it consists of multiple resistors, capacitors and NOT gates (the circuit diagram is irrelevant) that continuously go back and forth (0 then 1 then 0 then 1 then 0). It is hence known as a multivibrator. If we increase the resistance and/or capacitance then the frequency of the back and forth changes decreases (time duration b/w them increases). It is used in ticking clocks and flashing lights.

That's all you need to know according to the syllabus. Hope you get it now. :)

Reaction score
when you gave the example of bistable circuit, one input decides the output and the other is used to reset it. Now suppose if input number 1 is 1 and the other input is 0 in nor gate, we get a 0. Now if we set the second input to 1 too, it would still remain 0. then how is the second input used to reset the whole thing. What do you mean by reset?
The problem is that bistable circuits have NOR gates that are cross coupled, their truth tables are more complex than the others!
Here is the image the I have in my book.
bistable.png

Reaction score
I'm attaching 2 files if you guys still don't understand.

Attachments

• bistable_and_astable_circuits (1).doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 9
  • bistable_circuits.doc
    45 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
I'm attaching 2 files if you guys still don't understand.
i think i'll just pass them :D thanks by the way

The problem is that bistable circuits have NOR gates that are cross coupled, their truth tables are more complex than the others!
Here is the image the I have in my book.
View attachment 23629
by the way here, i thought these gates at least required two inputs initially. I wonder how they would work, if they had to start from scratch. i mean their second input is both from the output of the other one.

Reaction score
i think i'll just pass them :D thanks by the way

by the way here, i thought these gates at least required two inputs initially. I wonder how they would work, if they had to start from scratch. i mean their second input is both from the output of the other one.
Yeah, I guess I'll give them to the notes centre.
This circuit is connected to another circuit (its in the attachment) so the initial result comes from the inputs of another circuit.

Reaction score
Hey guys
i really need help in an atp worksheet so can someone solve it pls
its really urgent :(

Attachments

• Important Short Questions of ATP.pdf
    80.1 KB · Views: 9