• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Yes and ammonium carbonate.
but i supose all v have to worry about (4 o levels is) the molten part is very easy positive ions go towards the cathose n negativ towards anode :p as fr aqueous, its oxygen everytym xcpt fr when it is chlorine, bromine or iodine in CONCENTRATED form...as for cathode, if the positive ions are above hydrogen in reactivity series thn hydrogen is discharged n if below hydrogen (copper n silver) thn the metal is discharged. m i write ? :-/ please correct me if im wrong

Reaction score
but i supose all v have to worry about (4 o levels is) the molten part is very easy positive ions go towards the cathose n negativ towards anode :p as fr aqueous, its oxygen everytym xcpt fr when it is chlorine, bromine or iodine in CONCENTRATED form...as for cathode, if the positive ions are above hydrogen in reactivity series thn hydrogen is discharged n if below hydrogen (copper n silver) thn the metal is discharged. m i write ? :-/ please correct me if im wrong
You nailed it! :)
Yeah, we only need to know about molten and aqueous solutions and about bromine, iodide, chloride, hydroxide, nitrate and sulphate and how concentration affects them but there is no harm in learning more is there? :)

Reaction score
oh. n theres another dumb question. N this seriously has started pissing me off! GOD iv got no tym left n im cuming up wid such problems. aniways, ur valuable help is needed here.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Chemistry (5070)/5070_s06_qp_4.pdf question 7 & 9(a)
For 7, it's (d) Redox, since the zinc replaces the copper (II) sulphate (since it is more reactive) and reduces it whereas the zinc itself gets oxidized and hence a redox reaction.
For 9, well iron (III) is the highest oxidation that an iron element can reach so potassium manganate (VII) cannot further oxidize it and hence won't react with it.
Hope that helps :)

Reaction score
and fr 9 a i guess it is already in its oxidized form and can not be further oxidised and KMnO4 is an oxidising agent so it cant react with it

Reaction score
well i dunno abt it i jxt wanted to knw abt carbonates
Knowing about carbonates is not part of the syllabus but..
SO4 2-
NO3 -
CO3 2-
OH-
Cl -
Br -
I -
Here is the list.
Iodide ions are most readily discharged whereas sulphate and nitrate are not easily discharged.
Besides, in any event if nitrate, sulphate or carbonate is present then hydroxide (oxygen gas) will be discharged at anode.
Hope you get it :)

Reaction score
For 7, it's (d) Redox, since the zinc replaces the copper (II) sulphate (since it is more reactive) and reduces it whereas the zinc itself gets oxidized and hence a redox reaction.
For 9, well iron (III) is the highest oxidation that an iron element can reach so potassium manganate (VII) cannot further oxidize it and hence won't react with it.
Hope that helps :)
i was finding 'displacement reaction' in the options. i get the point tht y is it redox. so should i consider it a rule tht displacement reactions are redox reactions? does this apply everywhere?
aaaaaaaa.......okay i get it...the prblem is,,,u cn never learn to answr such questions. i did have all the knowledge required in this question yet was cluless....It helpd alot! thankyouuuuu!!

Reaction score
Knowing about carbonates is not part of the syllabus but..
SO4 2-
NO3 -
CO3 2-
OH-
Cl -
Br -
I -
Here is the list.
Iodide ions are most readily discharged whereas sulphate and nitrate are not easily discharged.
Besides, in any event if nitrate, sulphate or carbonate is present then hydroxide (oxygen gas) will be discharged at anode.
Hope you get it :)
hmmmm thnx i got it :)

Reaction score
i was finding 'displacement reaction' in the options. i get the point tht y is it redox. so should i consider it a rule tht displacement reactions are redox reactions? does this apply everywhere?
aaaaaaaa.......okay i get it...the prblem is,,,u cn never learn to answr such questions. i did have all the knowledge required in this question yet was cluless....It helpd alot! thankyouuuuu!!
Yes you can say that displacement reactions are redox since one element is oxidized and the other is reduced. No extra ions are formed. No problem :)

Reaction score
:) thnx both ov u and what abt nitrates???
basically the reasoning for this is to complicated for O and even As level purposes basically you need to know that sulphate ions are higher in reactivity series so will never be discharged. to make sulphate/nitrates/carbonates ions discharge you also need to break up the anion which is not a feasable process.(OH-) ion is a exception

Reaction score
basically the reasoning for this is to complicated for O and even As level purposes basically you need to know that sulphate ions are higher in reactivity series so will never be discharged. to make sulphate/nitrates/carbonates ions discharge you also need to break up the anion which is not a feasable process.(OH-) ion is a exception
hmm thnx :)

Reaction score
if HCl has concentration of 1.43mol/dm^3
what is its concentration in g/dm^3??????
plz also tell formula:(

Reaction score
moles=given mass/mr. so mr of hcl is 1+35.5=36.5. so 36.5*1.43=52.195. i hope dis helps. can u check the answr in marking scheme so I can be sure if my method is right or not
Your method is correct. And that should be the correct answer as well.

if HCl has concentration of 1.43mol/dm^3
what is its concentration in g/dm^3??????
plz also tell formula:(
Just like TheStallion-Reborn stated, since both the concentrations are in dm^3, you simply have to calculate the mass(g) of 1.43 moles of HCL using the formula (Mass = No. of moles * Mr/Ar) so this would simply get the concentration in g/dm^3.

Reaction score
Could someone explain the difference in blood pressure in the arteries, the heart, the veins & the capillaries?

Reaction score
moles=given mass/mr. so mr of hcl is 1+35.5=36.5. so 36.5*1.43=52.195. i hope dis helps. can u check the answr in marking scheme so I can be sure if my method is right or not
Your method is correct. And that should be the correct answer as well.

Just like TheStallion-Reborn stated, since both the concentrations are in dm^3, you simply have to calculate the mass(g) of 1.43 moles of HCL using the formula (Mass = No. of moles * Mr/Ar) so this would simply get the concentration in g/dm^3.
thnx guys,but stallion reborn,this question isnt from past papers but I think you are right(y)