• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
20 Which calcium compound does not increase the pH of acidic soils?
A calcium carbonate
B calcium hydroxide
C calcium oxide
D calcium sulfate

answer AND reason please????

Reaction score
20 Which calcium compound does not increase the pH of acidic soils?
A calcium carbonate
B calcium hydroxide
C calcium oxide
D calcium sulfate

answer AND reason please????
well the answer is calcium sulfate as it is a neutral substance and does not change PH( a slight change may be noticed which is negligible) and so it is not a liming substance.when added to the soil the calcium in the gypsum(calcium sulfate) will displace Hydrogen on a clay particle. the hydrogen however would remain in the soil solution and the ph wont change because of the absence of carbonate and hydroxideWhen added to the soil, the calcium in the gypsum can displace the hydrogen on a clay particle. The hydrogen, however, woun in the soil solution and the pH would not change because of the absence of carbonate.

KZW

Reaction score
Cu reacts with water, but this reaction is VERY slow due to its relatively unreactive nature.

Copper left in moist air will form CuCO3 and Cu(OH)2 in a roughly 1:1 proportion..

2 Cu (s) + H2O (g) + CO2 (g) + O2 (g) → Cu(OH)2 (s) + CuCO3 (s)

Reaction score
a mutual induction is obtained by a 2 volt dc cell by switching the switch on and off continuously a compass needle is deflected momentarily what will happen if i change the 2 volt dc cell with 2 volt ac supply

Reaction score
my teacher says that fig1.a produces more current can u explain why???

Attachments

• magnetism.JPG
    magnetism.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
a mutual induction is obtained by a 2 volt dc cell by switching the switch on and off continuously a compass needle is deflected momentarily what will happen if i change the 2 volt dc cell with 2 volt ac supply

I think it will have the same effect as the first one had and u will no longer require to switch on and off plus there will be a deflection in the opposite direction when the polarity of the current changes,nothing more !

Reaction score
my teacher says that fig1.a produces more current can u explain why???

Well i think in FIg 1.a the magnet becomes a whole and it then cuts the wire producing electricity while in b some of the lines of forces of the magnet are used up for repulsion and therefore it results in less current produced by the induction !

Reaction score
can anyone tell me where could i download britanncia gcse maths physics or chemistry

Reaction score
Cu reacts with water, but this reaction is VERY slow due to its relatively unreactive nature.

Copper left in moist air will form CuCO3 and Cu(OH)2 in a roughly 1:1 proportion..

2 Cu (s) + H2O (g) + CO2 (g) + O2 (g) → Cu(OH)2 (s) + CuCO3 (s)
thank you soooooo much!