• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
it is the usual acid catalyst for the conversion ofcyclohexanone oxime to caprolactam, used for making nylon. It is used for making hydrochloric acid from salt via the Mannheim process. Much H2SO4 is used in petroleum refining, for example as a catalyst for the reaction of isobutane with isobutylene to give isooctane, a compound that raises the octane rating of gasoline
wow! these are so difficult words that I even did not come across in Federal Chemsitry organic section.....is that all Mannheim process and isobutylene and isoocatne and cyclohexanone oxime and caprolactam(God knows how to pronounce these)part of O level syllabus?

Reaction score
it is the usual acid catalyst for the conversion ofcyclohexanone oxime to caprolactam, used for making nylon. It is used for making hydrochloric acid from salt via the Mannheim process. Much H2SO4 is used in petroleum refining, for example as a catalyst for the reaction of isobutane with isobutylene to give isooctane, a compound that raises the octane rating of gasoline
these are too difficult terminologies that i havent heard of even. actually i saw a question chemstry atp regarding electrolysis in which it was written sulphuric acid is added in water for increasing the speed of electrolysis :D

ktc

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge O Levels/5054 - Physics/5054_w03_qp_2.pdf

Could somebody please solve Q10 (c)(ii)? I get the wrong answer. can u answer this please

i am getting 4200 it should be 8200 i dont get it

Hmm, I did it like a million times and kept getting 4200 Volts myself.

The total potential difference across the resistance of the metal sheath is:

0.8 x [0.70 x 7500] = 4200V.

And in fact that *probably* is the right answer.

‘Cuz while I was going through the marking scheme, I noticed something:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge O Levels/5054 - Physics/5054_w03_er.pdf
Answers: (c)(i) 4000V, (ii) 8200V, (iii) 0.448W.

^ This is what’s given in the MS. However, did you realize there are (iv) parts to question 10, but only (iii) parts have answers given in the MS?

Q.10

(c)(i) The total potential difference across all the repeaters:

40 x 100 = 4000V.

Marking scheme answer => 4000V

(c)(ii) The total potential difference across the resistance of the metal sheath:

0.8 x 5250 = 4200V.

Marking scheme answer => 8200V

(c)(iii) The potential difference provided by the power supply:

4000 + 4200 = 8200V.

Marking scheme answer => 0.448W.

(c)(iv) The thermal energy (heat) lost per second from each kilometre of the metal sheath:

0.8^2 x 0.7= 0.448W.

Marking scheme answer => *not given*

I think the marching scheme accidently mixed up answer (c)(iii) [8200V] with answer (c)(ii) and answer (c)(iv) [0.448W] with answer (c)(iii). :/

[Leaving answer (c)(iv) all alone, cuz there weren’t any answers left to mix it up with too :p]

I guess, an error in the MS is possible; it is prepared by human beings, after all.

Reaction score
wow! these are so difficult words that I even did not come across in Federal Chemsitry organic section.....is that all Mannheim process and isobutylene and isoocatne and cyclohexanone oxime and caprolactam(God knows how to pronounce these)part of O level syllabus?
these are too difficult terminologies that i havent heard of even. actually i saw a question chemstry atp regarding electrolysis in which it was written sulphuric acid is added in water for increasing the speed of electrolysis :D
dunt worry. they arent in our syllabus. i had the same question and my brother gave me this answer (he is in engineering so he has a crack in his head :D) so when u asked it i copied the same answer. in human terminology, H2SO4 it is used as a catalyst in making of nylon, making of hydrochloric acid and in cracking of petroleum.
happy now? =D

Reaction score
dunt worry. they arent in our syllabus. i had the same question and my brother gave me this answer (he is in engineering so he has a crack in his head :D) so when u asked it i copied the same answer. in human terminology, H2SO4 it is used as a catalyst in making of nylon, making of hydrochloric acid and in cracking of petroleum.
happy now? =D
o thank u
i am so relieved now :)

Reaction score
How do you calculate half life

just half the given radiactivty like if a compound gives off 300 radiation by the end of one year it will have 150 and then u halve 150 to get for second year dont worry u are provided with the time for the half life to occur and the radiation :D

Reaction score
I stll don't get it can u pls explain with a past paper question please explain each step to as I suck in math

Reaction score
Why in the ATP chem potassium magnate co our changes from purple to pink in titration?and in exothermic reaction thus temp rise ?so in endo temp of surrounding and reaction decreases?:-/

Reaction score
And I have another question lol in ATP theres this question that acid poured out of measuring cylinder with what two things should it be cleaned with the answer is water then acid can someone pls explain why it doesn't make sense I thought first alkai so that remaining acid react to form salt then wash with water to remove salt but this is wrong why.
And can someone plssssss give me. A list of compounds and their colours :)

Reaction score
ATP NOTES :)

Attachments

• Notes To Study For Chemistry Paper 6.docx
    14.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Notes To Study For Physics Paper 6.docx
    13.6 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
happy now? =D
you are calling your bro crack btw thank you :D