• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
1. C + O2 ---> CO2
1 mole of carbon reacts with 1 mole of oxygen to form 1 mole of carbon dioxide.
If you calculate the moles using the given masses,
4/12 mole : 6/32 mole
0.33 mole : 0.1875 mole
So, carbon is in excess.
The ratio is 1:1 = 1 so,
Moles of CO2 = 0.1875 moles.

2. At RTP is mentioned,
Convert both quantities to moles,
10/12 moles : 10/24 moles
0.833 moles : 0.4166 moles.
So, again, carbon is in excess.
The ratio is 1:1 = 1 so,
Moles of CO2 = 0.4166 moles.
(y) haaza shukran :D

Reaction score
Alright, could anyone help me with this? It's from M/J/2012, Paper 22. Question B7, e)i).
Copper (ii) chloride can be prepared by the reaction between copper (ii) carbonate and hydrochloric acid. Write the ionic equation for this reaction.
The answer they've given is CO3(2-) + 2H(+) ---> CO2 + H2O.
Why is this the answer? I thought CuCO3 was insoluble so it wouldn't be written separately as ions, would it?

Reaction score
Alright, could anyone help me with this? It's from M/J/2012, Paper 22. Question B7, e)i).
Copper (ii) chloride can be prepared by the reaction between copper (ii) carbonate and hydrochloric acid. Write the ionic equation for this reaction.
The answer they've given is CO3(2-) + 2H(+) ---> CO2 + H2O.
Why is this the answer? I thought CuCO3 was insoluble so it wouldn't be written separately as ions, would it?
you dont need to consider solubility while writing ionic equations.
the point is that all metal carbonates react with acids regardless of their solubility.
so, you should separate the spectator ions(in this, they are Cl(-),Cu(2+). and then write the remaining ions.
the ionic equation is same for every metal carbonate+acid reaction

Reaction score
my book says, "Silicon oxide melts only at high temperatures. This is because the silicon and oxygen are held tightly together by strong covalent bonds in the network" is this correct? :confused: i thought melting point is related to van der waal's forces
usama321

Reaction score
you dont need to consider solubility while writing ionic equations.
the point is that all metal carbonates react with acids regardless of their solubility.
so, you should separate the spectator ions(in this, they are Cl(-),Cu(2+). and then write the remaining ions.
the ionic equation is same for every metal carbonate+acid reaction
can u please xplain the whole phenomenon of writing ionic equations please?? :cry: with an example question perhaps

Reaction score
Please anyone differentiate Diamond with Graphite... :confused:
diamond has all it's carbon atoms occupied in the bonding while in graphite, there is one atom vaccant thus graphite conducts electricity, diamond does not. diamond is harder than graphite. graphite is slippery, diamond isnt

Reaction score
Please anyone differentiate Diamond with Graphite... :confused:
diamond has all it's carbon atoms occupied in the bonding while in graphite, there is one atom vaccant thus graphite conducts electricity, diamond does not. diamond is harder than graphite. graphite is slippery, diamond isnt
graphite has delocalised electrons so that's why it conducts electricity