• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
my book says, "Silicon oxide melts only at high temperatures. This is because the silicon and oxygen are held tightly together by strong covalent bonds in the network" is this correct? :confused: i thought melting point is related to van der waal's forces
usama321
normally simple covalent bonded compounds have low melting point. Silicon oxide has high cuz it has a huge covalent bonding structure, with a lot of covalent bonds, which makes it stronger than normal covalent compounds

Reaction score
Please anyone differentiate Diamond with Graphite... :confused:
in graphite atoms are arranged in layers while in diamond are closely packed

in graphite each carbon atom is bonded to 3 other atoms while in diamond each is bonded to 4 other atoms

in diamond atoms are tetrahedrally arranged while in graphite are arranged in rings/hexagonal arrangement

graphite have some delocalised/mobile electrons while diamond dont have mobile electrons

diamond have strong covalent bonds between all the atoms while graphite contains weak forces between the layers

Reaction score
in graphite atoms are arranged in layers while in diamond are closely packed and regularly arranged

in graphite each carbon atom is bonded to 3 other atoms while in diamond each is bonded to 4 other atoms

in diamond atoms are tetrahedrally arranged while in graphite are arranged in rings/hexagonal arrangement

graphite have some delocalised/mobile electrons while diamond dont have mobile electrons

diamond have strong covalent bonds between all the atoms while graphite contains weak forces between the layers
do you have imran merchant chemistry gurss paper?

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Chemistry (5070)/5070_s08_qp_1.pdf

Q.24. Why can't number 1 statement be true?

Also, explain or provide notes of Oxidising and Reducing Agents. I am always confused b/w them. Someone help please. Everyone's answers are appreciated.

Acids are confirmed by the following properties:
- pH (lower than 7).
- Reactions with Metals, Metal Oxides/Hydroxides, Metal Carbonates.
So, the answer is D.

Oxidizing Agents:
-Acidified Potassium Dichromate (VI), KCr2O7, it OXIDIZES other compounds and itself is REDUCED, the oxidation state of the Cr ions changes from +6 to +3 (gain of electron). The colour change is from Orange [Cr (+6)] to Green [Cr (+3)].
-Acidified Potassium Manganate (VII), KMnO4, it OXIDIZES other compounds and itself is REDUCED, the oxidation state of the Mn ions changes from +7 to +2 (gain of electron). The colour change is from Purple to Colourless.

Reducing Agents:
-Aqueous Potassium Iodide, KI, it REDUCES other compounds and is itself OXIDIZED, the oxidation state of the I ion changes from -1 to 0. The colour change is from colourless to brown.
-Sulphur Dioxide, SO2, it REDUCES other compounds and is itself OXIDIZED, no colour change.

Reaction score
Do oxides of more reactive metals always form hydroxides when reacted with water and carbonates when reacted with carbon dioxide?

Yes they do, when the more reactive metal oxides from Potassium Oxide to Aluminium Oxide react with water they form Metal Hydroxides.
However, this depends on their reactivity and solubility, aluminium oxide is sparingly soluble and less reactive so the reaction is rather slow.
For carbonates, I don't know for sure. But, other than Sodium and Potassium, all the other carbonates decompose on heating to Metal Oxide + Carbon Dioxide, I don't know whether the reverse reaction is true or not.

Reaction score
Acids are confirmed by the following properties:
- pH (lower than 7).
- Reactions with Metals, Metal Oxides/Hydroxides, Metal Carbonates.
So, the answer is D.

Oxidizing Agents:
-Acidified Potassium Dichromate (VI), KCr2O7, it OXIDIZES other compounds and itself is REDUCED, the oxidation state of the Cr ions changes from +6 to +3 (gain of electron). The colour change is from Orange [Cr (+6)] to Green [Cr (+3)].
-Acidified Potassium Manganate (VII), KMnO4, it OXIDIZES other compounds and itself is REDUCED, the oxidation state of the Mn ions changes from +7 to +2 (gain of electron). The colour change is from Purple to Colourless.

Reducing Agents:
-Aqueous Potassium Iodide, KI, it REDUCES other compounds and is itself OXIDIZED, the oxidation state of the I ion changes from -1 to 0. The colour change is from colourless to brown.
-Sulphur Dioxide, SO2, it REDUCES other compounds and is itself OXIDIZED, no colour change.

Can you explain Reduction and Oxidation too? Please this is killing me :(

Reaction score
how can i find limiting reagent in the equation..??

Find the moles ratio using the equation.
Calculate the number of moles of each reactant by the given mass/volume.
The reactant that has the greater quantities of moles than required for the reaction (by mole:mole ratio) is in excess. The other one is the limiting agent.