• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
GOD! hw dumb can i be! just HOW dumb? i guess its todays maths paper tht has left me in this state... usama321 u cldv secretly told me! -.- its embarrassing. like krwa lo in se bas! lol jk...well its question 2

Its not B as Active transport is always against the concentration gradient!
And its not C as... ions are moving within the plasma, so active transport needs to be through a membrane, but more importantly, active transport needs energy, n there is no source in the plasma
And its not D as its a fact that water is pulled up by a "Transpiration pull" in a transpiration stream , which a suction force simply due to transpiration...
But over all, its a FACT that movement of glucose n amino acids in villi takes place due to active transport(in the end).... n u also gotta know that ion uptake y roots is also active transport(in end), as it also comes in xams!!

Reaction score
Its not B as Active transport is always against the concentration gradient!
And its not C as... ions are moving within the plasma, so active transport needs to be through a membrane, but more importantly, active transport needs energy, n there is no source in the plasma
And its not D as its a fact that water is pulled up by a "Transpiration pull" in a transpiration stream , which a suction force simply due to transpiration...
But over all, its a FACT that movement of glucose n amino acids in villi takes place due to active transport(in the end).... n u also gotta know that ion uptake y roots is also active transport(in end), as it also comes in xams!!

these 2 processes also occour as difusion...dnt they? especially the movement of glucose and amino acids?

Reaction score
these 2 processes also occour as difusion...dnt they? especially the movement of glucose and amino acids?
As long as they r in a higher concentration in the intestine they move by diffusion, but as soon as the concentration in the blood gets higher, the move by active transport(against a concentration gradient)

Reaction score
As long as they r in a higher concentration in the intestine they move by diffusion, but as soon as the concentration in the blood gets higher, the move by active transport(against a concentration gradient)
Isn't it the other way round? They move by fiffusion if they're concentration in the capillaries is higher than in the villi :p

Reaction score
Okay so I'm actually really confused. Where does the food travel in the gut? It's in the plasma na?

From the stomach the food travels in to the duodenum than to ileum where food such as glucose,amino acid and fatty acid ,glycerol is absorbed by lacteal and network capillaries where it is next transported to the blood vessels

Reaction score
From the stomach the food travels in to the duodenum than to ileum where food such as glucose,amino acid and fatty acid ,glycerol is absorbed by lacteal and network capillaries where it is next transported to the blood vessels
I meant in the oesophagus/ deudenom. It's absorbed by the capillaries of the villus/ileum from the plasma of the hepatic artery/capillary or what? :/

Reaction score
I meant in the oesophagus/ deudenom. It's absorbed by the capillaries of the villus/ileum from the plasma of the hepatic artery/capillary or what? :/
In the Ileum( the small intestine) these products are absorbed by capillaries and than transported to the blood

Reaction score
In the Ileum( the small intestine) these products are absorbed by capillaries and than transported to the blood
? I know that, but where does the food as a whole travel? In the oesophagus/stonechats and deudenom I mean? I know how water is used as the solvent but is plasma the specific medium?

Reaction score
? I know that, but where does the food as a whole travel? In the oesophagus/stonechats and deudenom I mean? I know how water is used as the solvent but is plasma the specific medium?
digested food enters the bloodstream provide nutrients where they are required and thn by hepatic portal vein goes to liver fr storage

Reaction score

Food travels from mouth-> Esophagus->stomach->deudenom->ileum->colon->rectum . But at every stage..food is broken down in carbohydrate,fattyacid and Aminoacid

Nooo.... Plasma is only a medium to travel in blood. but in the guts..U have tubes structure that transport.

Reaction score
can sum1 please xplain (with reasons; so i may remember) the differences betwen tissue fluid and blood plasma>??
and in question 12 here, http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Biology (5090)/5090_s07_qp_1.pdf how do we know that the answer is C?
that area is the vascular bundle and we know the xylem cells are inwards while phloem are out and xylem transports water and minerals

what are the optimum temp and pH ranges for enzymes amylase, lipase, protease?
fr amylase its 7 and fr lipase andprotease i guess alkaline cux its secreted from pancreas which can make it alkaline

Reaction score
that area is the vascular bundle and we know the xylem cells are inwards while phloem are out and xylem transports water and minerals

fr amylase its 7 and fr lipase andprotease i guess alkaline cux its secreted from pancreas which can make it alkaline

but i guess that for protease its acidic because it acts in stomach where pH is 2.:confused: