• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
untitled.JPG
if we induce a magnetism in a simple i rod this way i.e. not making them touch each other. will the iron rod still posssess magnetism even after the magnet is taken away?

Reaction score
View attachment 36635
if we induce a magnetism in a simple i rod this way i.e. not making them touch each other. will the iron rod still posssess magnetism even after the magnet is taken away?

I don't think so. ._.
Iron gets easily magnetized and easily demagnetized, right?
So when we move the magnet away, the magnetic domains in the iron rod will get dis-aligned, and the induced magnetism will go away.

Reaction score
Physicists believe that the orbiting motion of electrons in a magnetic material makes each atom an atomic magnet.A group of such atomic magnets pointing in the same direction is called a magnetic domain.
can somebody tell me what does this "pointing in same direction" mean?

Reaction score
View attachment 36635
now iron is a soft magnetic material which easily magnetizes and demagnetizes and the magnet is only temporary. Hence they are also called permanent magnetic material
magnetism will quickly be induced in the magnet, but when we move the magnet away, it will quickly demagnetize

if we had a steel rod, then magnetism induced wud not be that strong (which is y we use a solenoid to magnetize it), but it wud be permanent

Reaction score
Ahhh. Can someone tell me how to prepare for atp's? I mean should i just go thro past papers & nothing else or just rely on my knowledge

Reaction score
Ahhh. Can someone tell me how to prepare for atp's? I mean should i just go thro past papers & nothing else or just rely on my knowledge
atp is the easiest part of the paper
first of all u need to have good knowledge of the entire syllabus. after that solve as many past papers and note down the common questions and their answers. like this the atp will become even more easier to ace

Reaction score
Hi.
I've come across a bit of a tricky question in the Oct/Nov 2013 chemistry paper 21.
Its question B9 part b. Here's the question
''The reaction between ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide is described as a neutralisation reaction. Write the simplest ionic equation for this reaction''
Now, it is known that the simplest ionic eq is H+ + OH- = H2O in this base of acid-base neutralisation. But since ethanoic is a weak acid undergoing partial dissociation into H+ ions the ionic eq should be
CH3COOH + OH- = CH3COO- + H+
Im confused as to which eq is correct. Could someone please clarify this ?
Thanks in advance !!
Btw-ive attached a screenshot of the question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-07-15-01-12.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-07-15-01-12.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hi.
I've come across a bit of a tricky question in the Oct/Nov 2013 chemistry paper 21.
Its question B9 part b. Here's the question
''The reaction between ethanoic acid and sodium hydroxide is described as a neutralisation reaction. Write the simplest ionic equation for this reaction''
Now, it is known that the simplest ionic eq is H+ + OH- = H2O in this base of acid-base neutralisation. But since ethanoic is a weak acid undergoing partial dissociation into H+ ions the ionic eq should be
CH3COOH + OH- = CH3COO- + H+
Im confused as to which eq is correct. Could someone please clarify this ?
Thanks in advance !!
Btw-ive attached a screenshot of the question.
yes u do have a point
however the ionic equation will still be
CH3COOH + NaOH ----> CH3COONa + H2O
CH3COO -1 + H+1 + Na +1 + OH-1 ----> CH3COO-1 + Na+1 + H2O

CH3COO-1, and Na+1 will be eliminated
thus the equation will be

H+1 + OH-1 ----> H2O

Reaction score
and yes u shud stick to the CIE one. in the marking scheme, the answer is the same as my last equation.
so yes u shud reserve that answer to the neutralization questions

Reaction score
and yes u shud stick to the CIE one. in the marking scheme, the answer is the same as my last equation.
so yes u shud reserve that answer to the neutralization questions
Here you can see the exact same question(NaOH with C2H5COOH) but the ionic equation in the ms is given with the ethanoate ion instead of the hydroxide ion.I'm a bit confused to what to do in case we face this question in our exam.

Attachments

• 5070_w12_ms_22.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 5070_w12_qp_22.pdf
    131.4 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Here you can see the exact same question(NaOH with C2H5COOH) but the ionic equation in the ms is given with the ethanoate ion instead of the hydroxide ion.I'm a bit confused to what to do in case we face this question in our exam.
there is no need to worry

here is a snapshot from the examiner report

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm stuck in an mcq in the may June 2007 chem paper 1
Its Q33 about eutrophication.
Can anyone tell me why the ans is C instead of A ?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140309_171420.jpg
    IMG_20140309_171420.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 15