• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology P4 random notes

Reaction score
I would like to use this thread to post some random notes which I hope help you with the boring revision ordeal.

ATP is UNIVERSAL energy currency as it is found in most cells
1. Energy CURRENCY molecule: IMMEDIATE donor of energy to the endothermic reactions (e.g. ATP)
2. Energy STORAGE molecule: SHORT TERM or LONG TERM store of CHEMICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY

Respiration: It is a SERIES of METABOLIC REACTIONS that take place in all living cells in which energy CONTAINED in molecules such as glucose is use to make ATP molecues.
The whole purpose of respiration is to break oxidise organic molecules to release chemical potential energy which is used in ATP synthesis

The energy change in the process is due to transfer of electrons

The reverse of glycolysis i.e from pyruvate is know as gluconeogenesis

Electron Transport Chain: It is a series of PROTEIN COMPLEXES embedded in the INNER mitochondrial membrane. Electrons captured from reduced NAD and reduced FAD transferred through the complexed. Each complex binds electrons more tightly than the previous ones. So, electron loses energy during its movement and this released energy is used to pump H+ ions from the matrix to the INTER-MEMBRANE SPACE. This generates the gradient used by ATPase.

Chemiosmosis: It is the flow of hydrogen ions down the electric potential gradient. This releases the ELECTRICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY stored as the electrical potential gradient

In substrate level phosphorylation, ATP synthesised using CHEMICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY but in oxidative phosphorylation, ATP synthesised using ELECTRICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY

For awesome summary, check this out: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 706AAzRuXF
Just started revision, so I will post the notes as I progress with my revision!

Reaction score
thanks................please help me on the genetic engg topic thts my weakest area

Reaction score
angelgurl said:
thanks................please help me on the genetic engg topic thts my weakest area
from my side, you will have to wait. Hopefully, someone else will address your problem

Reaction score
zeebujha said:
I would like to use this thread to post some random notes which I hope help you with the boring revision ordeal.

ATP is UNIVERSAL energy currency as it is found in most cells
1. Energy CURRENCY molecule: IMMEDIATE donor of energy to the endothermic reactions (e.g. ATP)
2. Energy STORAGE molecule: SHORT TERM or LONG TERM store of CHEMICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY

Respiration: It is a SERIES of METABOLIC REACTIONS that take place in all living cells in which energy CONTAINED in molecules such as glucose is use to make ATP molecues.
The whole purpose of respiration is to break oxidise organic molecules to release chemical potential energy which is used in ATP synthesis

The energy change in the process is due to transfer of electrons

The reverse of glycolysis i.e from pyruvate is know as gluconeogenesis

Electron Transport Chain: It is a series of PROTEIN COMPLEXES embedded in the INNER mitochondrial membrane. Electrons captured from reduced NAD and reduced FAD transferred through the complexed. Each complex binds electrons more tightly than the previous ones. So, electron loses energy during its movement and this released energy is used to pump H+ ions from the matrix to the INTER-MEMBRANE SPACE. This generates the gradient used by ATPase.

Chemiosmosis: It is the method of STORING ELECTRICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY by creating a PROTON gradient across a membrane

In substrate level phosphorylation, ATP synthesised using CHEMICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY but in oxidative phosphorylation, ATP synthesised using ELECTRICAL POTENTIAL ENERGY

Just started revision, so I will post the notes as I progress with my revision!

**ATP is NOT FOR LONG TERM STORAGE of energy. you have glycogen and starch for that. ATP is usually used as soon as it's made for the normal metabolic reactions.

Reaction score
Cytochromes are at progressively lower energy levels on the inner mitochondrial membrane
Oxygen is the final acceptor of the electron after cytochrome oxidase
It is then reduced to water in the mitochondrial matrix
ATP is a phosphrylated nucleotide
Red NAD generates 2.5 ATPs on average
Red FAD generates 1.5 ATPs on average
These are cofactors- hydrogen carriers.

Substrate level phosphrilation is the reorganization of chemical bonds and occurs in glycolysis and the krebs cycle
Link reaction,krebs and oxidative phosphorylation ARE aerobic

God! This chapter has Never ending detail, but then again, so do all chapters. Sigh. I'll post more if I get bored. :O:

Reaction score
What is the name of the water splitting enzyme??? has to be dehydrogenase or something but I can't find the exact name!

Reaction score
Binding of CO2 with RuBP is called Carbon Fixation because the carbon in CO2 is fixed (attached) to solid RuBP.

TP is the BRANCHING POINT in the calvin cycle
While most TP continue to regenerate the RuBP,others condense to form hexose phosphate, starch, glucose and cellulose or converted to acetyl CoA to make amino acids and lipids

Reaction score
Arrangement of pigments into photosystems allows efficient light absorption. Pigments are arranged in a FUNNEL-LIKE STRUCTURE (antenna complex) which allows energy to feed into the reaction center by resonance energy transfer

Chlrophyll has a porphyrin head and a hydrocarbon tail

Reaction score
temperature affects the rate of the light-independent stage as this is controlled by enzymes, whilst the light-dependent stage is not directly affected by temperature changes as these are photochemical reactions. However, extreme temperature will affect light-dependent stage as the membrane of the ETC as well as the enzymes in the LDR will be damaged by the high temperature! (enzymes ARE involved in light dependent reaction. It is just that light energy plays a more important role than heat energy in driving light dependent reaction)

Growth (Net photosynthesis)=Gross photosynthesis - Respiration

If temperature rises, so does respiration rate, and if photosynthesis cannot go any faster (could be due to lack of CO2), then net photosynthesis will be lower at higher temperatures

Compensation point : Net photosynthesis=0

Reaction score
Detail you missed out on:

Higher temperatures --> Larger rates of respiration --> Increased stomatal closure --> Decreased carbon dioxide intake --> Decrease in the rate of photosynthesis

Reaction score
zeebujha said:
What does "high turnover" mean in the context of ATP?? :no:

I think high turnover means infusion of ATP and increased rates of gluconeogenesis (turnover meaning flipping over of the regular respiration trend)

Reaction score
MukeshG93 said:
zeebujha said:
What does "high turnover" mean in the context of ATP?? :no:

I think high turnover means infusion of ATP and increased rates of gluconeogenesis (turnover meaning flipping over of the regular respiration trend)

I am not sure if I understand that! :(

Reaction score
"Huge" turnover means that the rate of it being used in reactions AND being synthesized again is "Huge"
ATP is almost instantly used up in metabolic reactions(as it's produced), hence, is constantly being synthesized in the mitochondria.
Hope you understood...