• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

biology p61

Reaction score
jbatcampnou said:
She7taman said:
It wasn't that hard. But did you guys draw the graph as a line graph or as a bar chart?

A lot of people, including teachers, are saying it's a line graph. I'm pretty sure that's wrong, and that the teachers would have to see the question and read it all to formulate a correct answer.

It can't be a line graph because the dude was counting the number of areas that had a reaction in them. Every minute, he opened the dishes, and checked. If there was a reaction in that area, he counted it. If not, he replaced the filter paper and left it for another minute.

There was a total of 100 areas. They either reacted, or they did not. He doesn't take the size of the reaction into consideration. Doing a line graph implies that, at 2.5 minutes for example, it would indicate 32.3 "number of areas" on your graph. Which is impossible because he is counting in integers.

Your thoughts?
Absolutely correct

both are correct because they tell us here that we only draw bar and histogram when they want it by saying frequency distribution however when they leave it wide open for any graph , they accept all graphs , and my friends knew the question well in the exam so that they can ask about it when they are out of the exam and our teachers said they are both correct and will be accepted and even it the bar of line are wrong , u will get marks for working out the points correctly and labeling the axis , all this will be counted so you may lose 1 or 2 marks out of the 5 .... :D :D :Bravo: :good:

Reaction score
She7taman said:
It wasn't that hard. But did you guys draw the graph as a line graph or as a bar chart?

A lot of people, including teachers, are saying it's a line graph. I'm pretty sure that's wrong, and that the teachers would have to see the question and read it all to formulate a correct answer.

It can't be a line graph because the dude was counting the number of areas that had a reaction in them. Every minute, he opened the dishes, and checked. If there was a reaction in that area, he counted it. If not, he replaced the filter paper and left it for another minute.

There was a total of 100 areas. They either reacted, or they did not. He doesn't take the size of the reaction into consideration. Doing a line graph implies that, at 2.5 minutes for example, it would indicate 32.3 "number of areas" on your graph. Which is impossible because he is counting in integers.

Your thoughts?
nope, thats wrong. it was a line graph, as they didnt mention in the question "bar or histogram" and they also said that "plot the points" plot; therefore its a line.

Reaction score
ynateil said:
nope, thats wrong. it was a line graph, as they didnt mention in the question "bar or histogram" and they also said that "plot the points" plot; therefore its a line.

Are you serious? "Plot a graph" applies to all kinds of graph. I've seen it countless times in exams where the question said "plot" and the in mark scheme the correct answer was a bar or histogram.

Secondly, a line graph wouldn't make any sense. There can never be a half an area. He doesn't count half areas. At 1 minute, it was say, 18 areas. At 2 minutes, it was 10. Your line graph would imply that at 1.5 minutes it may have been 12.6 areas. This is impossible. It's either an area had a reaction in it, or it didn't. There's no intermediate, hence, bar graph.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that account.

Reaction score
She7taman said:
ynateil said:

Are you serious? "Plot a graph" applies to all kinds of graph. I've seen it countless times in exams where the question said "plot" and the in mark scheme the correct answer was a bar or histogram.

Secondly, a line graph wouldn't make any sense. There can never be a half an area. He doesn't count half areas. At 1 minute, it was say, 18 areas. At 2 minutes, it was 10. Your line graph would imply that at 1.5 minutes it may have been 12.6 areas. This is impossible. It's either an area had a reaction in it, or it didn't. There's no intermediate, hence, bar graph.

honestly what u said is so convincing bas i think that most of the candidates including me drew a line graph so they should accept it

Reaction score
lolostar95 said:
She7taman said:
ynateil said:

honestly what u said is so convincing bas i think that most of the candidates including me drew a line graph so they should accept it

As far as I know, they're supposed to accept it both. Just because most people did it that way is no justification to allow a wrong (if it is wrong) answer.

People should use common sense. It's what the whole system is about.

Reaction score
ynateil said:
She7taman said:

Your thoughts?

:D :good:

Reaction score
BTW yes it could be a line graph let me tell u why .... because the area is not going to chage suddenly at once .... onethird of it then half then alll so this will be a line graph

Reaction score
lolostar95 said:
BTW yes it could be a line graph let me tell u why .... because the area is not going to chage suddenly at once .... onethird of it then half then alll so this will be a line graph
That would apply only if you were plotting results for the third column, representing the TOTAL number, but that wasn't what you were asked to do.
New areas appearing each time are not related to each other, whether they accept it or not, I don't think a line graph is the way it's supposed to be represented. There's absolutely no intermediate values on the line between points.

Reaction score
lolostar95 said:

Again, you are wrong. If the experiment had been at 0.5 minute intervals, and if it was 18 at 1 min and 10 at 2 min, if he checks at 1.5 minute, he will *never* find a fraction. He may find a small area and a large area, but again, he will count those as 2.

There can never be any fractions in this design. He is counting the number of new areas that appeared. There can never be half an area, no matter its size. So the guy running the experiment doesn't care if one third of the circle changed, he's going to count that as one.

So to answer your question, yes, it will change suddenly from the point of view of the experimenter. There is no intermediate. There can never be.

Also, Divalicious has it right.

Reaction score
She7taman said:
lolostar95 said:

Again, you are wrong. If the experiment had been at 0.5 minute intervals, and if it was 18 at 1 min and 10 at 2 min, if he checks at 1.5 minute, he will *never* find a fraction. He may find a small area and a large area, but again, he will count those as 2.

There can never be any fractions in this design. He is counting the number of new areas that appeared. There can never be half an area, no matter its size. So the guy running the experiment doesn't care if one third of the circle changed, he's going to count that as one.

So to answer your question, yes, it will change suddenly from the point of view of the experimenter. There is no intermediate. There can never be.

it's totally right , i made line , but i am sure they will accept both , you are right that there are no intermediates , truly , i just knew this point now
:eek:

Reaction score
lolostar95 said:
ok now what was the similarity between the two freakin' drawings(the ginger and the lotus)

i wrote a stupid answer since it was a stupid question , i wrote they both have greyish inner body , hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
She7taman said:
lolostar95 said:

Yep...
Too bad all my colleagues are still arguing with me, saying it's supposed to be a line graph, and I can't seem to convince them :shock:
And I bet they'll just go to teachers, and just explain the question in a vague way, like 'how to plot results for enzymes activity?' and teachers would just say it's line graph -.-

Reaction score
Divalicious said:
Yep...
Too bad all my colleagues are still arguing with me, saying it's supposed to be a line graph, and I can't seem to convince them :shock:
And I bet they'll just go to teachers, and just explain the question in a vague way, like 'how to plot results for enzymes activity?' and teachers would just say it's line graph -.-

That's exactly the case over here, with some teachers saying line graph because all the students told them was "enzymes". I do hope line graph is rejected, just so I can watch their pitiful arrogance smash against the wall of reality as their ignorance is vibrant in the debris.

Reaction score
phro5031 said:
lolostar95 said:
ok now what was the similarity between the two freakin' drawings(the ginger and the lotus)

i wrote a stupid answer since it was a stupid question , i wrote they both have greyish inner body , hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :ROFLMAO:
BTW I did the same :lol:

Reaction score
She7taman said:
Divalicious said:
Yep...

That's exactly the case over here, with some teachers saying line graph because all the students told them was "enzymes". I do hope line graph is rejected, just so I can watch their pitiful arrogance smash against the wall of reality as their ignorance is vibrant in the debris.
see this question wasnt clear ..... I think that the bio and the esl examiner are brothers their mind is so different from the normal human :p

Reaction score
She7taman said:
[

Hehe. I feel TOTALLY the same!