• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

biology paper 1 doubts

Reaction score
are u sure about that?
i chose the option where it said it bind to water to stabilise the membrane. this function is carried out by the glycolipids and not the phospholipids. thats why they borught 2 options we were not familiar with

Reaction score
i chose the option where it said it bind to water to stabilise the membrane. this function is carried out by the glycolipids and not the phospholipids. thats why they borught 2 options we were not familiar with
That's true but isn't the entry & exit of water-soluble molecules, O2 & glucose done by protein channels & stuff? They were trying to confuse us by putting these 2 options :/

Reaction score
no water is the only ionic substance that can diffuse thru, and co2 + o2 pass thru by diffusion, ive seen that before in past papers and ive learnt that as well

Reaction score
no water is the only ionic substance that can diffuse thru, and co2 + o2 pass thru by diffusion, ive seen that before in past papers and ive learnt that as well
Water can pass through but it doesn't. It chooses to go through water channels. & glucose goes through facilitated diffusion. Right?

Reaction score
For the phospholipid question:
i chose D
forms H bonds with water to stabilise the membrane...

Reaction score
yea i chose d as well, u see water channels are beyond the scope of our syllabus (its my first time hearing bout them). i quote from a level bio textbook: "the respiratory gases, 02 and co2, cross membranes by diffusion. they are uncharged and non-polar, and so can cross thru the phospholipid bilayer directly between the phospholipid molecules"

Reaction score
yea i chose d as well, u see water channels are beyond the scope of our syllabus (its my first time hearing bout them). i quote from a level bio textbook: "the respiratory gases, 02 and co2, cross membranes by diffusion. they are uncharged and non-polar, and so can cross thru the phospholipid bilayer directly between the phospholipid molecules"
I see :)
One more mark less :/
What questions did you find confusing??

Reaction score
But ! The question was about which one of the following is 'not' a function of phospholipid?

Reaction score
how was the option phrased exactly? i forgot anyways nothing we can change

Reaction score
What did you write for the question about enzymes & metabolism? (forgot the wording of the question)

Reaction score
But ! The question was about which one of the following is 'not' a function of phospholipid?
Glycoproteins and glycolipids bind with water molecules to stabilise the membrane not phospholipids. Thus answer is D

Reaction score
What about the ecology question? Question 39? Which organism would increase in number if X is removed?