• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Paper 12 Repeated and New Questions

Reaction score
yeah. wat did u do of the tRNA questn? otherwise ur ans match mine :) but i did the large animal ans 1 nd 2...

u10a_t02.gif
indeed you are correct! Thanks for correcting me... :)

For tRNA question i selected the option in which statements 1 and 2 were correct and statement 3 was incorrect. For large animals 1 was obviously correct and 3 (related to SA to volume ratio) was clearly incorrect. Statement 2 was also incorrect, since the rate of gas exchange depends on activity and some large animals are less active than small animals. :)

Reaction score
View attachment 13167

For tRNA question i selected the option in which statements 1 and 2 were correct and statement 3 was incorrect. For large animals 1 was obviously correct and 3 (related to SA to volume ratio) was clearly incorrect. Statement 2 was also incorrect, since the rate of gas exchange depends on activity and some large animals are less active than small animals. :)
it wasnt comparing large nd small animals. it was comparing organisms wid nd widout transport system

Reaction score
View attachment 13167

did the same of tRNA

Reaction score
it wasnt comparing large nd small animals. it was comparing organisms wid nd widout transport system
But it asked about large animals, did it not? :) So one must understand that not all large animals have high rate of gaseous exchange (those that are less active), so statement 2 did not apply to all large animals, whereas statement 1 did! Therefore, only statement 1 was correct. :)

Reaction score
But it asked about large animals, did it not? :) So one must understand that not all large animals have high rate of gaseous exchange (those that are less active), so statement 2 did not apply to all large animals, whereas statement 1 did! Therefore, only statement 1 was correct. :)
no i think it asked dat y do sme organisms need transport system nd sme dnt? didnt it?

Reaction score
For tRNA 1 and 2 was correct. i got that wrong :( and why shouldnt it be a large surface area to volume ratio? Wouldnt that imply that there are more cells to transport stuff to and from? i know that under normal circumstances this increases diffusion rate but in an animal with a large surface area to volume ratio, it should mean that there are lots of cells so diffusion should be slower :S at least this is what i thought but clearly i'm wrong :(

Reaction score
For tRNA 1 and 2 was correct. i got that wrong :( and why shouldnt it be a large surface area to volume ratio? Wouldnt that imply that there are more cells to transport stuff to and from? i know that under normal circumstances this increases diffusion rate but in an animal with a large surface area to volume ratio, it should mean that there are lots of cells so diffusion should be slower :S at least this is what i thought but clearly i'm wrong :(
that implies that diffusion rate will b faster (due to large surface area) and so no transprt sysytem is needed

Reaction score
large surface area to volume ratio means that the surface area is greater and volume is less, so cells requiring substances are not far from the site of absorption or production of those substances, hence no efficicent transport system may be required. It is the small surface area to volume ratio due to which a transport system is required. :) In the question a large surface area to volume ratio was given as statement 3, which was incorrect.

Reaction score
But the relationship is linear!!! no? :) so correct option must be C. In D there was a curve, so it cannot be D. Sorry, the volumes are not equal, i get that now, but they are proportionate i guess.
ur rite it is C