• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Paper 22 Discussion thread.

Reaction score
Clear another query. That 7 marks question. I wrote all the essential conditions. I ended it by saying plants are protected from reproducing sexually. Insects are kept away to prevent pollination.
that is not wrng..ur point is perfectly valid...You see since they are being produced in a building therefore commercially, only asexual reproduction must occur bcoz in a commercial procedure to ensure that max profit is obtained, the process must be quick..and sexual reproduction is slow....
so simply speaking...ur point is perfectly valid..and worthy of credit.

Reaction score
I still don't get why sexual and asexual reproduction...it said that the cultivated lupins have a wider variety of color...how can that be made possible through genetic engineering? They can't generically modify each and every crop btw & by cultivated lupins they meant garden lupins...genetic engineering would be far too costly for that :S

Reaction score
that is not wrng..ur point is perfectly valid...You see since they are being produced in a building therefore commercially, only asexual reproduction must occur bcoz in a commercial procedure to ensure that max profit is obtained, the process must be quick..and sexual reproduction is slow....
so simply speaking...ur point is perfectly valid..and worthy of credit.

OMG REALLY? Finally, I might score some marks. The 3 mark part under it, less variation because of asexual reproduction by Mitosis? :/

Reaction score
Where did I mess up?
Y
You were also supposed to mention genetic engineering....since the question said "commercially lupins are produced", selective breeding is a relatively slow procedure...Genetic engineering on the other hand is fast...that is why genetic engineering must be mentioned....actually even if you dnt mention selective breeding, and just mention genetic engineering, the examiner will award full credit...bcoz genetic engineering is much more important...however giving both of them gives a much clearer answer.

Reaction score
OMG REALLY? Finally, I might score some marks. The 3 mark part under it, less variation because of asexual reproduction by Mitosis? :/
absolutely correct...Again from the examiner's point of view: You will be awarded full credit, just by mentioning asexual reproduction

Reaction score
Ri
Y
You were also supposed to mention genetic engineering....since the question said "commercially lupins are produced", selective breeding is a relatively slow procedure...Genetic engineering on the other hand is fast...that is why genetic engineering must be mentioned....actually even if you dnt mention selective breeding, and just mention genetic engineering, the examiner will award full credit...bcoz genetic engineering is much more important...however giving both of them gives a much clearer answer.

Oh darn, okay. But, I'll get the marks for writing selective breeding and saying they are made to reproduce asexually?

Reaction score
I still don't get why sexual and asexual reproduction...it said that the cultivated lupins have a wider variety of color...how can that be made possible through genetic engineering? They can't generically modify each and every crop btw & by cultivated lupins they meant garden lupins...genetic engineering would be far too costly for that :S

I think you're condradicting the 2 questions. Crop question of 7 marks is different. Lupins one is different.

Reaction score
they can modify one crop and allow it to reproduce asexually.....pretty simple procedure and quite profitable...after all that is the point behind the word "commercially"

Reaction score
I think you're condradicting the 2 questions. Crop question of 7 marks is different. Lupins one is different.
No no I'm talking about the lupins question...I wrote about self/cross pollination in the other one..did it say cultivated or commercial lupins?

Reaction score
I
No no I'm talking about the lupins question...I wrote about self/cross pollination in the other one..did it say cultivated or commercial lupins?

I think this question didn't mention commercially. It just stated how the best quality lupins are obtained.

Reaction score
I

I think this question didn't mention commercially. It just stated how the best quality lupins are obtained.
The lupins question did mention commercially...It was Q3(b)
it didnt say anythng abt cultivated...you are confusing it with the quesiton in the past papers....they are not exactly the same.....
also writing and self and cross pollination in the other one is a pretty major mistake.

Reaction score
I

Yeah okay. I'll just let it be here...no point in arguing over it...when will the ms come out brw? Before or after the result?

Reaction score
The lupins question did mention commercially...It was Q3(b)
it didnt say anythng abt cultivated...you are confusing it with the quesiton in the past papers....they are not exactly the same.....
also writing and self and cross pollination in the other one is a pretty major mistake.
What? What're u going on about? The crops in a greenhouse are self-pollinated :S

Reaction score
please can any one tell if there are chances of "large scale production" being correct??
Any HOPE???:cry:

Reaction score
What? What're u going on about? The crops in a greenhouse are self-pollinated :S
Oh God!....first all since the question said cotnrolled conditions, writing abt a greenhouse wouldnt be particulary right....
u had to write abt asexual reproduction....n Q6(b)

Reaction score
please can any one tell if there are chances of "large scale production" being correct??
Any HOPE???:cry:
the correct answer is fermentation...it has been confirmed...but dnt wrry bud..even i got it wrng.