• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology Paper 22 Discussion thread.

Reaction score
Wouldn't punctured alveoli cause breathing difficulties even after the wound healed? I wrote about damage to the intercostal muscles and diaphragm and how they would affect breathing.

Reaction score
Wouldn't punctured alveoli cause breathing difficulties even after the wound healed? I wrote about damage to the intercostal muscles and diaphragm and how they would affect breathing.
Also by a bullet a maximum of 5-10 alveoli will be damaged and that is not enough to cause breathing problems , that is what i think !

Reaction score
Basically i wrote that pressure could not be built up due to air entering in thorax (during inhaling) and leaving thorax (during exhaling).This will reduce the difference in pressure between atmosphere and thorax causing a reduced volume of air to enter or leave lungs.This will cause difficulty in breathing.I curse myself for not writing about alveoli stuff.
Any hope for some marks ?
of course there's hope....out of 5 makrs 3 marks are confirmed...and if the examiner is nice 4 may be given

Reaction score
if the wound is above the diaphragm, how could the diaphragm be damaged. And also u dont know the exact position of where the bullet hit, so u cant make the assumption that the intercoastal muscles may be damaged.
Since the quesiton didnt talk about any healing procedures, there is no problem...Also the alveolar walls will heal after a time..They wont remain damaged indefinitely.

Reaction score
Also by a bullet a maximum of 5-10 alveoli will be damaged and that is not enough to cause breathing problems , that is what i think !
dude, alveoli are microscopic and a bullet can be seen by the naked eye....also there are millions of alveoli...since the bullet is fast and larger than the alveoli, at least a few 1000 alveoli can be damaged alveoli
How can you say 5-10, teh bullet is not smaller than the alveoli.

Reaction score
dude, alveoli are microscopic and a bullet can be seen by the naked eye....also there are millions of alveoli...since the bullet is fast and larger than the alveoli, at least a few 1000 alveoli can be damaged alveoli
How can you say 5-10, teh bullet is not smaller than the alveoli.
I know but still the hole can't even damage quarter of alveoli present ... so breathing problem will be difficult ... that is my view....

Reaction score
I know but still the hole can't even damage quarter of alveoli present ... so breathing problem will be difficult ... that is my view....
Oh good news....I just read about bullets if hit at close range and penetrate the lung, can damage many alveoli, due to their microscopic size,..this is an example of penetrating traumatic injury...

Reaction score
Any how i spent atleast 2-3 hours on google and all it said was 'pneumothorax' , i hope we all get 3-4 marks :)
yeah even i searched on google...and unfortunately, there are no such major cases of a person surviving a gunshot wound, to the lungs etc...only pneumothorax is commom
you're right, hopefully all of us will get good marks.

Reaction score
if the wound is above the diaphragm, how could the diaphragm be damaged. And also u dont know the exact position of where the bullet hit, so u cant make the assumption that the intercoastal muscles may be damaged.
Since the quesiton didnt talk about any healing procedures, there is no problem...Also the alveolar walls will heal after a time..They wont remain damaged indefinitely.
It said the wound extends above the diaphragm meaning it is larger and passes over the diaphragm.

Reaction score
of course oxygen can dissolve in it, but it dosent look suitable..who knows the examiners may accept it, because they gave a question like this before and in that marking scheme , no such difference b/w oxygen composition was mentioned.
well you jsut got 1 wrong, that is if you got it wrong...you wnt knw that unitl the result comes out.

They don't mention all the answers, do they? They might not give it in the ms so candidates aren't encouraged to write such points, but might just tick them in the exam. What if, they tick more glucose less glucose too? ^_^

Reaction score
for the alex question it asked that if it hit the diaphragm , so i wrote about contraction and relaxation of diaphragm,
then wd the lupins , i wrote about fertilizing two lupins wd favorable characteristics . Then cross F1 generations. Let the best fitted survive and u hv ur colourful ans spiky lupins.
so what do u think?

Reaction score
for the alex question it asked that if it hit the diaphragm , so i wrote about contraction and relaxation of diaphragm,
then wd the lupins , i wrote about fertilizing two lupins wd favorable characteristics . Then cross F1 generations. Let the best fitted survive and u hv ur colourful ans spiky lupins.
so what do u think?
the best fitting lupins surviving....no that is totally wrong...again, I am repeating, the question said "COMERCIALLY" where did natural selection come from huh?! :/ ...u wrote abt contraction and relaxation of diapphragm, depends on wat u wrote........u have to tell me wat u wrote in the paper.

Reaction score
the best fitting lupins surviving....no that is totally wrong...again, I am repeating, the question said "COMERCIALLY" where did natural selection come from huh?! :/ ...u wrote abt contraction and relaxation of diapphragm, depends on wat u wrote........u have to tell me wat u wrote in the paper.
its how i wrote that: u hv ur desirable lupins but to get those which r resistant to diseases, let the best fitted survive,
for the diaphragm one i mentioned the role of diaphragm in inhalation n exhalation.
For the lupins , can i score 3-4 cuz i mentioned all the rest.

Reaction score
its how i wrote that: u hv ur desirable lupins but to get those which r resistant to diseases, let the best fitted survive,
for the diaphragm one i mentioned the role of diaphragm in inhalation n exhalation.
For the lupins , can i score 3-4 cuz i mentioned all the rest.
u had to mention why there were breathing difficulties, since the region above the diaphragm had been penetrated, the diaphragm wasnt injured. If you mentioned, genetic engineering, and selective breeding then yes you can get 3-4marks.

Reaction score
hi i am new here and wanna ask what if i wrote progestogen instead of progestostrene and oestrosterene instead of oestrogen how much will they deduct if only these names are wrong and rest is fine?(although i should have learned these names correctly). :p.

Reaction score
hi i am new here and wanna ask what if i wrote progestogen instead of progestostrene and oestrosterene instead of oestrogen how much will they deduct if only these names are wrong and rest is fine?(although i should have learned these names correctly). :p.
wat u wrote is like a mixture of the words Testosterone and progestrone and oestrogen......the examiners will cut atleast 3-4 marks.....this is bcoz, u didnt misread the question, u mispelt major words.....so 3-4 marks are the minimum marks that will be deducted...... :(..yes you should have learnt them correctly