• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 5 doubts

Reaction score
How did you estimate the no of cells in the culture?
that was very tough, although we coulc estimate number of cells alive and dead to calculate survival rate by using microscope, im not so sure that microscope could be applicable for estimating number of cells, but i just wrote o use a microscope and analyze 0.1 cm cubed of fluid, count number of cells in plane of view and divide by o.1

Reaction score
that was very tough, although we coulc estimate number of cells alive and dead to calculate survival rate by using microscope, im not so sure that microscope could be applicable for estimating number of cells, but i just wrote o use a microscope and analyze 0.1 cm cubed of fluid, count number of cells in plane of view and divide by o.1
i said something like that but than i said find average of the 20 samples and multiply by the total volume of culture

Reaction score
i said something like that but than i said find average of the 20 samples and multiply by the total volume of culture
dude,in question it said number of cells per centimetere cubed, they wanted us to tell how we can obtain the values of number of cells.....in a small sample, not for whole batch.

Reaction score
what was the answer to the second part of the standard deviation question? Suggest a reason why the standard deviation increases with time?

Reaction score
what was the answer to the second part of the standard deviation question? Suggest a reason why the standard deviation increases with time?
size of sample increased! values become more spread out around the mean! :)

Reaction score
not too sure but i said that as the no. of thalli increases, it becomes more difficult to count them as they have various sizes of development.

Reaction score
dude,in question it said number of cells per centimetere cubed, they wanted us to tell how we can obtain the values of number of cells.....in a small sample, not for whole batch.
Yea they wanted number of cells in million per cm^3 so I said place a sample on a slide . Then set microscope to high power and using a stage micrometer calibrate the graticule. The use the graticule to calculate the diameter of the field of view. Then using pie.r^2 get the field of view are in cm^3. Then count all cells in field of view and divide by are to get number of cells per cm^3

Reaction score
Yea they wanted number of cells in million per cm^3 so I said place a sample on a slide . Then set microscope to high power and using a stage micrometer calibrate the graticule. The use the graticule to calculate the diameter of the field of view. Then using pie.r^2 get the field of view are in cm^3. Then count all cells in field of view and divide by are to get number of cells per cm^3
my answer was pretty similar. and how will you make different concentrations from 4000 dm^-3..?

Reaction score
my answer was pretty similar. and how will you make different concentrations from 4000 dm^-3..?
I said put 20cm^3. Of the 4000 mg dm^-3 in a beaker, take 10 from this and place in another beaker with 10 of pond water and so on, that was the gist of mine