• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 6 tips ^_^

Reaction score
i got the hard copy not from the website :D
that's the advantage of having sibling doing IG before u :)

Reaction score
well that was informitive..i have a question as well when they tell us set up an experiment..do u do 3 tests or do we do 5..when they bring pieces of potato or honey or whatever substance to be tested should i dissolve it first and make it into a soultion so that could be tested?

Reaction score
if u wanna test for starch, protein, reducing sugar, fat u hv to dissolve it and add a appropriete thing to test it.
some dont need to be dissolve.

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to draw a histogram in Biology (like in M/J 2002 Paper 6 question 2)? I honestly have no idea what to put on the graph. I know how to draw histograms in math with frequensy density etc. but I know they aren't expecting that here...

Reaction score
A histogram is a bar chart without gaps in between. In maths it uses frequency density, but in Biology it just uses the frequency, which is what our teacher told us to do.

Hope I helped :)

Reaction score
Yes it helped :D

How do we label each bar though? With the range of the class (e.g. 30<x<40 and a constant width of bars) or how it is done in math (just the numbers and each bar has a width corresponding to the class width)

Reaction score
Godfather said:
@ali123456789 - freaking muslim..chem and bio have some of the same content

Who the hell do u think u are to call a Muslim a freak ???!?! :evil: If u cant follow the rules of dis forum den u might as well get OUT !!!

Reaction score
burndtjamb said:
Yes it helped :D

How do we label each bar though? With the range of the class (e.g. 30<x<40 and a constant width of bars) or how it is done in math (just the numbers and each bar has a width corresponding to the class width)

With the labelling, I usually stick to the names of the variables.

Example:

Human - 280.
Pig - 285.

I would label using the names.

The width of the bars again I think depends on the class width, if you give me a paper with the question, I should be able to get a better idea, done lots of Biology paper 6s today, so I can't remember xD.

Reaction score
Haha I've been doing loads of papers as well XD

Paper 6 M/J 2002 has a histogram question for question 2) c) ii). If you could describe how to draw the graph for that question that would be great, the mark scheme isn't very helpful :/.

Reaction score
haochen said:
use anhydrous copper sulphate and if water is present it changes from white to blue. (remember to use anhydrous(no water))
or
use cobalt chloride and if water is present it changes from blue to pink. (opposite of the previous one)

hope it helped :D

ooh th alot yup u rly helped :D i thoughy there is another test we use in bio or so :p

Reaction score
Well, once you have completed the tally chart, you should then notice that the class width for each of them is the same. In a histogram and as the classes aren't continuous, the class boundaries have to be used. (If you are unaware of what they are let me know, but I presume you do because you mentioned maths earlier) The other important thing is that you have to distinguish between the two sets of values. So, you have a length of however many squares. You should then find the class boundaries and thus find the overall range and plot the scale accordingly. The class widths are all 0.5. Once you have done that, split the space that you assign to each class in two, and draw your two representing columns. You could use shading to distinguish between them. Then you should finally write the names for the x and y axis. The y axis would be the shaded area in cm^2 and the x axis, class size in cm^2, both of which can be found in the table.

I wouldn't worry too much about this type of histogram, as in past papers I have only seen it come up once. Bar charts however are common. You never know, due to the year being 2011, they may repeat earlier questions.

If I haven't said so before, best of luck tomorrow :)

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
Well, once you have completed the tally chart, you should then notice that the class width for each of them is the same. In a histogram and as the classes aren't continuous, the class boundaries have to be used. (If you are unaware of what they are let me know, but I presume you do because you mentioned maths earlier) The other important thing is that you have to distinguish between the two sets of values. So, you have a length of however many squares. You should then find the class boundaries and thus find the overall range and plot the scale accordingly. The class widths are all 0.5. Once you have done that, split the space that you assign to each class in two, and draw your two representing columns. You could use shading to distinguish between them. Then you should finally write the names for the x and y axis. The y axis would be the shaded area in cm^2 and the x axis, class size in cm^2, both of which can be found in the table.

I wouldn't worry too much about this type of histogram, as in past papers I have only seen it come up once. Bar charts however are common. You never know, due to the year being 2011, they may repeat earlier questions.

Thanks so much, it's a lot clearer now :D

Best of luck to you as well! :D :good:

Reaction score
burndtjamb said:
xIshtar said:

Thanks so much, it's a lot clearer now :D

Best of luck to you as well! :D :good:

Cheers :)

Reaction score
a little doubt here
which values for volumes to take like how much in a test tube n how many drops of iodine..cuz in mark scheme they don't accept answers like few or the same volume or number :/

oh and what is a buffer and a colorimeters?
^_^"

Reaction score
Outofideaz said:
Godfather said:
@ali123456789 - freaking muslim..chem and bio have some of the same content

Who the hell do u think u are to call a Muslim a freak ???!?! :evil: If u cant follow the rules of dis forum den u might as well get OUT !!!
absolutely