• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 62 confusion

Reaction score
just gave paper 62 today, so this confusion is directed to those who have the same variant.
the last question ie. number 3, where we had to label the floral reproductory organs, i put mine in this order:

A > style
B > stigma
C > filament
D > anther

turns out me and just another friend are the only ones who put it in this order, while 99% of the others put it in the exact opposite order.

But i feel this one's right, and that there were many carpels and only one long male reproductive organ, because the stigmas all seemed to be small and inside the petals.

post your answers with logic here please :)

Reaction score
just gave paper 62 today, so this confusion is directed to those who have the same variant.
the last question ie. number 3, where we had to label the floral reproductory organs, i put mine in this order:

A > style
B > stigma
C > filament
D > anther

turns out me and just another friend are the only ones who put it in this order, while 99% of the others put it in the exact opposite order.

But i feel this one's right, and that there were many carpels and only one long male reproductive organ, because the stigmas all seemed to be small and inside the petals.

You My friend arent the only one..:D It was very obvious to me that C and D were filament and anther..I Dont know Why it would be wrong Tho..:(

Reaction score
thanks Alaa, it seemed pretty obvious too, cause that was the trick everyone fell for.
an ideal flower is supposed to have a longer stigma and more male reproductory parts, but this flower wasnt a normal one, and the small ones seemed to look more like stigmas to me too.

Reaction score
thanks Alaa, it seemed pretty obvious too, cause that was the trick everyone fell for.
an ideal flower is supposed to have a longer stigma and more male reproductory parts, but this flower wasnt a normal one, and the small ones seemed to look more like stigmas to me too.
I couldnt agree more..;)

Reaction score
The short one was the anther and the filament and the long one was the stigma and style :)

Reaction score
The short one was the anther and the filament and the long one was the stigma and style :)
you mean the short multiple ones?

aren't THEY supposed to be the stigmas, cause this flower is insect pollinated, so the stigmas are protected by not being long and protruding but being inside the petals

Reaction score
Stamens of insect-pollinated flowers should be inside the flower for insects to rub against, no?

Reaction score
not necessarily, but the carpels need to, cause they need to be protected against breaking when insects suck the nectar

Reaction score

A > style
B > stigma
C > filament
D > anther

D was stigma , the one above was the style for it , the anther was in the inside and filament was for the part near the anther

Reaction score
still seems as if I'm the only one here with the opposite answer, Alaa help me out here!

Reaction score
D was stigma , the one above was the style for it , the anther was in the inside and filament was for the part near the anther
Look at this diagram..Label D clearly showed that structure in which anther is labelled....If there's something different..please explain..:confused:
flower.gif

Reaction score
In most textbooks, they've portrayed insect-pollinated plants with multiple stamens and a single carpel. Not sure if they'd stray from that.

Reaction score
yeah label D looked like a small circle ( a drop shape?) >> clearly an anther
and the first labels had a comparitively larger surface area showing they are carpels as the larger surface area provides for chances for a pollen grain to land on.

Reaction score
In most textbooks, they've portrayed insect-pollinated plants with multiple stamens and a single carpel. Not sure if they'd stray from that.
maybe the trick IS straying from that and labelling with understanding of the given specific flower which MAY have abnormal structures.
cambridge is known for that, cause many students will just label what they memorized

Reaction score
The understanding is that carpels are depicted in flowers as USUALLY being longer, surrounded by multiple stamens.

Reaction score
no thats the memorizing bit you just said there.
can be different any time for odd flowers.

Reaction score
So you expect them to give us an odd flower, one which they do NOT give in their books?
Plus, they teach us the same thing either way. It's fact.

Reaction score
simple:

in ALL insect pollinated flowers there's ONLY 1 style but there are SEVERAL stamens

so in the stamen there's the filament ( the stick) and the Anther ( the one with pollen)
the center longer one has the style (the stick) and the stigma (the upper sticky part)

the below answers are B ( anther) for the place the pollen are collected from and D ( stigma ) the place the pollen are deposited