• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 62 confusion

Reaction score
just gave paper 62 today, so this confusion is directed to those who have the same variant.
the last question ie. number 3, where we had to label the floral reproductory organs, i put mine in this order:

A > style
B > stigma
C > filament
D > anther

turns out me and just another friend are the only ones who put it in this order, while 99% of the others put it in the exact opposite order.

But i feel this one's right, and that there were many carpels and only one long male reproductive organ, because the stigmas all seemed to be small and inside the petals.

post your answers with logic here please :)[/quote}

My friend , Im very sorry to break this to you but you are wrong . There was not trick . Look all insect pollinated flowers are arranged in whorls (google it ). Starting from the calyx (sepal whorl) then corolla(Petal whorl) then Androcium (Stamen Whorl) and then Gynaecium(Stigma whorl) . Doesnt matter if stigma was the tallest and just think about it can any friggen flower result in multiple fruits ? NO !. and what kind of stupid flower would have only one stamen.

Reaction score
My friend , Im very sorry to break this to you but you are wrong . There was not trick . Look all insect pollinated flowers are arranged in whorls (google it ). Starting from the calyx (sepal whorl) then corolla(Petal whorl) then Androcium (Stamen Whorl) and then Gynaecium(Stigma whorl) . Doesnt matter if stigma was the tallest and just think about it can any friggen flower result in multiple fruits ? NO !. and what kind of stupid flower would have only one stamen.
okay okay, i got that like two days ago, no need to rub it in!

Reaction score
simple, ones a reducing sugar test, where you crush a sample and mix benedicts solution in a test tube. you heat the test tube in a water bath
the others a starch test, and starch is a carbohydrate! make the same sample by crushing and add iodine solution this time
results :
for reducing sugar test it will go from blue to orange or red brick
for starch test it will go from brown to blue black

note: you must mention the change in colour as in "brown to blue black" instead of just "blue black"
don't know if crushing and preparing a sample is all in the process but i included it just in case, and lucky me cause i found out i lost 6 marks in this thread.

So i did like "green" not orange/brick red
and i only worte final color :/ so no marks awarded?
And for teeth i wrote
Eyes , antenae , bristles [chatae] correct?

Btw i did the stupidist mistake= didnt convert cm-->mm in the last question :X

Reaction score
And for teeth i wrote

aahhaha lol, the colour change is green when the reducing sugar is very less, but that's not required here, so you get marks for describing only.
eyes, antenna and mouth part/pincers is correct. NOTE: i'm talking about variant 2
you dont see any chetae do you?

Reaction score
there is usually a difference between style and filament in flower diagrams which is the style is always thicker than the filament.

Reaction score
And for teeth i wrote

concerning the labels, the bristles are found only in annelids which do not have antennae. so please note this.

Reaction score
concerning the labels, the bristles are found only in annelids which do not have antennae. so please note this.
he made a mistake there, or probably has a different variant, in which case he should leave this thread :p

Reaction score
No i did 62 !!
WAIT! I saw this ans in ms with same reducing sugar question...
reducing sugar make solution / AW;
add Benedict’s solution;
heat;
green / yellow / orange / red;

So i should get marks for green :p

Ya labelling that this "teeth like structure" are called Mandible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandible_(insect)

I think it was simple eyes[compound are for bee's etc.] but i just wrote eyes :/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Meat_eater_ant_feeding_on_honey02.jpg
The ant^

Reaction score
NO! Simple eyes.. :O
And 'pincers' not fangs. fangs are typically for snakes.

compound eyes yo =.= insects have COMPOUND eyes! .. why do u think a housefly have like a thousand of pixels in on eye!? o_O
Ahhh atleast i wrote it :p

Reaction score
compound eyes yo =.= insects have COMPOUND eyes! .. why do u think a housefly have like a thousand of pixels in on eye!? o_O
Ahhh atleast i wrote it :p
Okay now i'm confused :s

GUYS RELAX.

doesn't matter if you wrote compound eyes, or just simply "EYES", you still get full marks there, check ANY mark scheme from a past year.
same goes for MOUTH/Pincers, whatever.

Reaction score
GUYS RELAX.

doesn't matter if you wrote compound eyes, or just simply "EYES", you still get full marks there, check ANY mark scheme from a past year.
same goes for MOUTH/Pincers, whatever.

No dude! u have to mention what typa eyes they've got... :|

Reaction score
No i did 62 !!
WAIT! I saw this ans in ms with same reducing sugar question...
reducing sugar make solution / AW;
add Benedict’s solution;
heat;
green / yellow / orange / red;

So i should get marks for green :p

If i were to rate your luck on a scale of 10, i'd give you 12.

Reaction score
Not really, you're just scaring the members who haven't written compound.
"Eyes" work just as well.

Im not scaring em =.=" Im giving them the correct answers =.=
Bt anyways, if that works then fine..