• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology/Physics ATP Preparation Thread

Reaction score
Sorry Abcde but It might get a bit delayed :(
I will write down some of the notes here ! Here are some plant tests as Xain wanted
Experiment to see which surface of a leaf loses most water:
Cobalt chloride paper is blue when dry and pink when wet.Use forceps to handle it.
1.Use a healthy ,well wattered potted plant with leaves which are not too hairy. Fix a small square of blue cobalt chloride paper onto each surface of one leaf using clear sticky tape. Make sure there are no air spaces around the paper.
2. Leave the paper on the leaf for a few minutes.

Experiment to measure the rate of transpiration of a potted plant
1.Use 2 similar well wattered potted plants. Enclose one plant entirely in a polythene bag including its pot. This is the control
2.Enclose only the pot of the seconf plant in a polythene bag. Fix the bag firmly around the stem of the plant , and seal with petroleum jelly.
3.Place both plants on balances and record their masses.
4.Record the mass if each plant every day at the same time for at least a week.
5.Draw a graph of your results.

I will post more soon! I am preparing for my English Lit paper tommorow so it may get a bit delayed :)
All the best!

Reaction score
can anyone tell me that why do we boil water that is used in germination conditions. I mean i do know that it is to remove dissolved oxygen but why do we have to remove that dissolved oxygen and are there any other reasons for boiling water for germination?

Reaction score
PLUS how do we provide optimum temperature for the germination of seeds in the experimental set up?

Reaction score
the experiment which involves the investigation of the conditions needed for germination of a seed

Reaction score
just lactobacillus converts lactose (a sugar) into lactic acid + energy ..........here lactose is source of sugar for the bacteris to respire anaerobically

Reaction score
what i think is that ythe dissolved oxygen is removed to check whether the seen can germinate without oxygen also or not? just a test

Reaction score
malingaa said:
HOW CAN MICROORGANISMS CONVERT GLUCOSE INTO AN ACID??
Ha...they dnt do it directly..!!
They use glucose 4 respiration and wen they respire anaerobically..they produce acid..!!

Reaction score
malingaa said:
can anyone tell me that why do we boil water that is used in germination conditions. I mean i do know that it is to remove dissolved oxygen but why do we have to remove that dissolved oxygen and are there any other reasons for boiling water for germination?

basically it depends on any test where we want to investigate if the presence of oxygen affects a process. for eg
1. to show that oxygen is necessary for germination: fill a measuring cylinder with boiled water (which has no oxygen dissolved in it). add some peas. add some oil which blocks atmospheric oxygen from getting into the water. leave it for few days.
OBSERVATION: the peas don't germinate. although an appropiate temperature and water was provided. this shows that oxygen is necessary for germination
.......you can confirm the result by repeating the experiment but this time use unboiled water, and dont add oil. the seeds will germinate

8)

Reaction score
Time for Phy!!!
Hey guys how can you tell if a metal clamp is horizontal above a bench with a spirit level???
By the way whats a spirit level?(taken fron Nov 10 p4 ms). Thanks in advance

Reaction score
workaholic said:
Time for Phy!!!
Hey guys how can you tell if a metal clamp is horizontal above a bench with a spirit level???
By the way whats a spirit level?(taken fron Nov 10 p4 ms). Thanks in advance
The least i know is that a spirit level or bubble level is an instrument designed to indicate whether a surface is horizontal (level) or vertical (plumb). :) You shud go to youtube.com and search for vids how 2 use it. My youtube has a crashed plugin so cant provide u the link..!! :(

Reaction score
Another reason why the water is BOILED in which seeds are placed for germination is to DENATURE the enzymes present inside the seeds.