• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology thoery & mcq discussion

Reaction score
Its been 24 hours so i think we can discuss the papers now ! how did ur paper go ? and wat did u guys answer in question 3 the parts about energy released in soil and how is it useful to seeds ?

Reaction score
well i wrote its relesed to the surroundings as heat....helps seeds in germination by providing them warmer temp wen its cold...dunno its right or wrong.!

Reaction score
I wrote dt energy released provides a suitable temperature for seed germination......is it correct????

Reaction score
Yay discussion! I wrote it raises the temperature to one suitable for germination. My friend wrote that and added the enzymes are activated. For that mcq, in decaying plants decomposers work on what, was it cellulose or starch?

Reaction score
it was cellullose, because every plant cell doesn't necessarily have starch, but all of them have cell wall

Reaction score
i messed it up..i think u guys are ryt..i wrote that denitrifying bacteria releases nitrogen gas which is absorbed by the seeds after germination for growth :| :(
i might get some marks tho for including decompostion of dead plants by bacteria :\ how much do u guys think i'll get out of 5 ?

Reaction score
That's what I did, thanks izzahzainab.

unfortunateddiva, you're talking about the energy released onto the soil one right? I think that was for just two marks.

Reaction score
no..it was worth 3 marks n then the next part about usefulness to seeds carried 2 marks !! so in total 5 marks..im not sure if the carry forward rule applies here like in maths :S

Reaction score
i also wrote about the heat produced after decomposition helped germination.....as most of students wrote.
:( :( i was really foolish of me....i opted the option glucose instead of cellulose.... :(

Reaction score
i wrote that when the plant dies it gets decomposed by bacteria (Nutrients) and releases Nitrogen from ammonium compounds after break down (nitrogen fixing bacteria) im pretty sure temprature isnt right guys, because temprature is lost to the surroundings very fast to attain normality, and thus the seeds (btw, they didnt even say seeds in the surrounding area, they said how this process helps FURTHER seeds in growing here) rarely get any heat at all i bet. So im pretty sure the nutrients being released into soil is the correct one.

Reaction score
how is the heat released to the soil?? i think decomposition is the correct one......when bacteria decompose they respire and use the enrgy in respiration and other processes and release through respiration to the soil

Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
how is the heat released to the soil?? i think decomposition is the correct one......when bacteria decompose they respire and use the enrgy in respiration and other processes and release through respiration to the soil
oh i meant that after decomposition the temperature of soil rises......which is essential for germination.
ofcourse it is used as energy for respiration of seeds.

Reaction score
Jinkglex said:
i wrote that when the plant dies it gets decomposed by bacteria (Nutrients) and releases Nitrogen from ammonium compounds after break down (nitrogen fixing bacteria) im pretty sure temprature isnt right guys, because temprature is lost to the surroundings very fast to attain normality, and thus the seeds (btw, they didnt even say seeds in the surrounding area, they said how this process helps FURTHER seeds in growing here) rarely get any heat at all i bet. So im pretty sure the nutrients being released into soil is the correct one.
the question was about germination of seeds.......i dont think the seeds need nutrients at first.

Reaction score
Famous4it said:
Yay discussion! I wrote it raises the temperature to one suitable for germination. My friend wrote that and added the enzymes are activated. For that mcq, in decaying plants decomposers work on what, was it cellulose or starch?

i think it should be proteins, coz in that mcq part of the nitrogen cycle was shown and since protein is also an organic molecule. I doubt if cellulose acted upon by the microorganisms..

Reaction score
it asked for major source of carbon. Which is cellulose, OR, starch. Not sure.
And they didnt ask germination, exactly, they said how does it help seeds eventually :)

Reaction score
how is the energy released in the soil?

it cant be decomposers coz the energy passed onto the soil is in the form of heat