• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Career and University Counselling (all careers, US,UK,Canadian, Pak universities)

Reaction score
Don't go for a specific field like that. Instead of that you can do biomedical engineering after that you can work in genetics and specialize your work experience in genetics.

Always keep in mind, qualification is one thing, experience is another thing.

Reaction score
Brother, I want to study computer science in Oxford University. The problem is, I can't afford to study there without 100% scolarship(Reach Oxford). I got 9A* and a stupid A in O level. In A level I have taken Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Accounting. If I get A* in all these subjects plus a distinction, what are my chances of getting into Oxford with full scholarship? Do I need to take 7 subjects? What else do Oxford want apart from o and a levels. Please help.

Reaction score
Don't go for a specific field like that. Instead of that you can do biomedical engineering after that you can work in genetics and specialize your work experience in genetics.

Reaction score
(9A* 1A in O level. 6 A* in A levels. Excellent interviews, school reference and personal statement) Is this enough? Do I need Eca or national awards? What are my chances if I achieve these?

Reaction score
What about my subject combinations? Are they okay for mechanical engineering or computer science? Are accounting and computing considered as soft subjects?

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Should I go for genetic engineering?
I am confused because many ppl are against this field at least that's what I think :/
Are there any Islamic issues concerned? (I even want ur advice badrobot14)

well, that depends upon you.... but do keep in mind what future prospects u have whn u study something...

I can tell you the Islamic position on it as far as I could find whn reading on it..

Genetic Engineering and Human Cloning
Genetic research and engineering to alter or delete diseased genes is allowed and genetic research using stem cells from products of miscarriages or surplus ova after IVF procedures is permissible.
However, to conceive in order to abort the fetus and harvest and use its stem cells is not permissible.38-42
We believe that each individual is born with unique qualities and genetic makeup. Islamically, a child should be born out of marriage between husband and wife and the lineage of the child should be maintained. Therefore, human reproductive cloning is not permitted in Islam. 27,43,44
Therapeutic cloning may be permissible within strict guidelines.43​

source: ISLAMIC MEDICAL ETHICS - by Islamic Medical Association of North America

and read this too, please:
www.islamqa.com/en/ref/155691
www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21582

hope this helps... and Allah knows best.

Reaction score
What about my subject combinations? Are they okay for mechanical engineering or computer science? Are accounting and computing considered as soft subjects?

Yea they are fine, only your 3 main subjects need to be the traditional ones, other than that you can do any subject whether it is soft or rough it makes a mark beyond the 3 subjects limit. You can show up if you have extra-curricular achievements but keep in mind Oxbridge takes you on your academic ability alone.

Reaction score

Thnx :)

Reaction score
I have some MORE queries. Query 1: I want to take a gap year. If I apply after A2 will I be at a disadvantage? In my gap year, I will give sat1,sat2,IELTS,do social work and will work in my school as assistant teacher.Query 2: If I give one more A level in gap year will the university accept it? Query 3: What do Uk universities think about sat? Query 4: Where and how are Oxford interviews for international applicants taken? Query 5: Do they accept international applicants who r under 18? Please help me!

Reaction score
hey,
I want to apply for engineering ( bachelors ) in Canada (Waterloo, U of A etc ). I have 7A's in Olevel. I am giving Alevel composite in June 2013 and want to apply for fall 2013 session. Would my predicted grades from college be used for the admission/scholarships? With 7A's In O and 2A's in Alevel do I have chance for scholorship? The tution fees now are too high (like $25k per year) and I would need around 50% scholarship. When should I start the application process? And what would you suggest/recommend? Will the appreciation certificates from my college help me in scholarships?

Reaction score
Well,if I could get some help I would really appreciate it since almost everything you stated till now Zohaib is right. Middle easten countries do look down at people from under developed countries like Pakistan and so on and they go get 2x lower salary than Europeans or people from other developed countries with the same job.
Anyways,I would like to know a couple of things....first of all,In Canada,for Aerospace,Mechanical or Software Engineering,which Universities do you think(except for the ones in Quebec) are worth going to? And also,since the fees is really high,is there any way one can obtain financial aid from somewhere?
Also,from the 3 occupations stated above(mechanical,Software n Aerospace),which one do you think would be the best to go to in terms or job satisfaction,Salary and job availability?
Another question I would like to know the answer to,My dad and all adults I talk to tell me that after a certain about of time companies dont ask where we got the degree from,they ask the number of years of experience and what degree we posses,if yes,then what is the use of going to a top University and paying such a high fees than going to a normal University with lower fees if it can land you the same job in a certain number of years?

I hope you reply to my message Zohaib and please keep up the awesome work of helping people and making our nation proud by getting such awesome marks,you made it into the front page in the news paper in UAE :D

Reaction score
Thanks. For Canada McGill and University of Toronto are the best. McGill gives a major scholarship of 12000 $ for which you have to apply separately, in course financial aid is also offered in case of financial difficulty though it's on average around 5000 $.

Actually, it's like this, in the years to come firms care about the name of the school, your work experience and the reputation of the places where you worked. The grades in the degree and the classes you took to complete the degree requirement don't matter to employers in the long run. As a result you can even come across many names who are in top most leadership posts in big companies around the world and actually might have had an undergraduate degree in history from a top university.

Good to hear, which newspaper was it ?

Reaction score
I have some MORE queries. Query 1: I want to take a gap year. If I apply after A2 will I be at a disadvantage? In my gap year, I will give sat1,sat2,IELTS,do social work and will work in my school as assistant teacher.Query 2: If I give one more A level in gap year will the university accept it? Query 3: What do Uk universities think about sat? Query 4: Where and how are Oxford interviews for international applicants taken? Query 5: Do they accept international applicants who r under 18? Please help me!

Under 18s are accepted. Interview can be done over skype if you can't go. Otherwise for Cambridge they are done in Dubai and for Oxford they are done in the UK. SAT doesn't matter much in the UK however if you think you had an exceptional score then you can point that out but they don't specifically need it. Gap year is ok, many people take it.

Reaction score
hey,
I want to apply for engineering ( bachelors ) in Canada (Waterloo, U of A etc ). I have 7A's in Olevel. I am giving Alevel composite in June 2013 and want to apply for fall 2013 session. Would my predicted grades from college be used for the admission/scholarships? With 7A's In O and 2A's in Alevel do I have chance for scholorship? The tution fees now are too high (like $25k per year) and I would need around 50% scholarship. When should I start the application process? And what would you suggest/recommend? Will the appreciation certificates from my college help me in scholarships?

You should always apply to make sure but as far as A levels are concerned you should have at least 3 As in major subjects like phy, chem, maths. Admission starts in november and deadlines are in late february.