• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Challenging Question in Physics FEDERAL Book

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Its on page 289... If anyone has the book or the question is

You are provided with the following apparatus:
ammeter, voltmeter, accumulator, variable resistor, connecting wires and 1.2 m of constantan wire (SWG 20)
(a) Draw a circuit diagram that would enable you to measure the resistance of 1.0 m of constantan wire. What measurements would you take and how would you calculate he resistance?

(b) What further steps would you make to investigate how resistance varies with the length l of the wire...?

Circuit diagram drawn and then image uploaded...? I would like that... Or at least explained how to draw it...?

Thanks....

Reaction score
Hey is this abt electronics and is the accumalator a capacitor could u tell then i would tell.

Reaction score
Yeah... Accumulator stores energy... Is a rechargeable device for storing electrical energy in the form of chemical energy, consisting of one or more separate secondary cells....

Reaction score
AOA!
(a) Draw a circuit in which the ammeter, constantan wire and variable resistor are connected in series with a power source (which might be the accumulator in this case) and a switch. The length of the constantan wire used should be 1.0 m. Connent a voltmeter parallel to the constantan wire. At the start of the experiment, adjust the rheostat to its maximum value (maximum resistance) so that minimum current flows through the circuit initially. Record the corresponding values of current and voltage as shown by the ammeter and voltmeter, respectively. Then decrease the resistance of the rheostat and record the new values of current and voltage. Repeat this step until you have at least five values of current and voltage. Then plot a graph of voltage against current. Draw a straight line of best fit. The gradient of the wire would give the resistance of 1.0 m of the constantan wire.
(b) Vary the length of the constantan wire and repeat the above procedure. You will find out that as the length of the wire increases, so does its resistance because 'R' is directly proportional to 'l'.

Reaction score
it would be helpful abcde just make a diagram using paint stuff on windows although it wastes time it clears misconception.

Reaction score
scouserlfc said:
it would be helpful abcde just make a diagram using paint stuff on windows although it wastes time it clears misconception.
That certainly would...

Reaction score
How about you make the diagram according to the information I gave and I'll check it? ;)
I could do it for you but lets see if it works this way. :)

Reaction score
2py26oz.jpg

EDIT: I changed the original a bit (thanks to abcde ;) )

Reaction score
The voltmeter must be connected across the whole length of the constantan wire intelnehalem!

Reaction score
abcde said:
The voltmeter must be connected across the whole length of the constantan wire intelnehalem!
oops thats true :p
other than that, is the diagram correct?

Reaction score
Yes its correct. :) But since an accumulator is used as a power source, its circuit symbol must be used and I don't know that!