• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chem p4

Reaction score
Did silicon dioxide reacts with naoh........................
most of the books write its reaction with naoh...........bt in marksheme of j 2003 q3 its clearly indicate that sio2 does not react with Naoh..................

Wat u SAy??

Reaction score
what i know is that it doesn't react with NaOH ... yeah in some cases like hot(aq) NaOH the reaction is really very slow...

2 NaOH + SiO2 ----> Na2SiO3 + H2O

Reaction score
ok thanks....bt i was confused that how most of the books can b ew rong at the same time......as many of them has written thes ame reactions as abv
bt thanx..............

Reaction score
beacon_of_light said:
what i know is that it doesn't react with NaOH ... yeah in some cases like hot(aq) NaOH the reaction is really very slow...

2 NaOH + SiO2 ----> Na2SiO3 + H2O

Yeps, we do require conditions of high concentration and temperature! Otherwise the bonds of SiO2 are too strong for the reaction too take place and thankfully so! Imagine aqueous NaOH in the lab reacting with the glass vessel in which it is containted! That would be great fun to watch!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Silicon dioxide also reacts with sodium hydroxide solution,
but only if it is hot and concentrated. Sodium silicate solution is formed.

check the question and if an equation is given then check the state symbols or description

Reaction score
@zain : no eq given it only states deduct 1 mark if reaction written..........

Reaction score
2003/ 20004 I think. The answer took me by surprise as well! Silicon Dioxide is acidic but reacts only under extreme conditions.

Reaction score
yea same here. ask ur teachr

it mite be a mistake on marking scheme