• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry confusions !

Reaction score
Ok, so i was doing this past paper qs and then it says:

Describe a chemical test that would distinguish between zinc carbonate and zinc oxide....

Since this is an old paper, the mark scheme isn`t the original one and it isn`t very reliable. So, how would u guyz attempt it ?!
I would say add dilute hydrochloric acid and the gas given off by zinc oxide would relight a glowing splint and the gas given off by zinc carbonate will turn the limewater milky. So, is this right ?! :)

Oh, and guyz, does copper oxide dissolve in water or not ? I think it dissolves in acid when heated, is that correct ? And what about zinc oxide, does it dissolve in water and acid ? And does it react with them ?!

Confused... :cry:

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:

Describe a chemical test that would distinguish between zinc carbonate and zinc oxide....

Since this is an old paper, the mark scheme isn`t the original one and it isn`t very reliable. So, how would u guyz attempt it ?!
I would say add dilute hydrochloric acid and the gas given off by zinc oxide would relight a glowing splint and the gas given off by zinc carbonate will turn the limewater milky. So, is this right ?! :)

Oh, and guyz, does copper oxide dissolve in water or not ? I think it dissolves in acid when heated, is that correct ? And what about zinc oxide, does it dissolve in water and acid ? And does it react with them ?!

Neither dissolve in water or acid.. They react with acid. Your first test is right for distinguishment, as Water is produced in the ZnO reaction.

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:

abt d first one ur correct
add an acid and test gas given off wth limewater if turns milky so its carbonate
abt CuO im not sure,but since its a base it will react wth acid
same 4 ZnO

Reaction score
hey guys cud sum1 explain this???

the ans is C, but why???

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:

Man for the test of zinc oxide its incorrect cause it will form water as it neutralises HCL
But zinc carbonate is correct for sure
CuO I am not sure but u can dissolve in water cause its an ionic compound
The same for zinc oxide
but in both case I think u need to pass steam not water in liquid state as well as u need to heat it.

Reaction score
gary221 said:

the ans is C, but why???
because the second OH group is carboxylic acid group so it will react with sodium hydroxide in order to neutraise it.
But for ethanol would be impossible as it could be neutral or alkaline

Reaction score
Keeemoman said:
gary221 said:

the ans is C, but why???
because the second OH group is carboxylic acid group so it will react with sodium hydroxide in order to neutraise it.
But for ethanol would be impossible as it could be neutral or alkaline
oh got it!
thnx!!

Reaction score
Yes the test for ZINC OXIDE is incorrect.... Check the answer in examiner report... It may help....

Reaction score
The 2nd one.. You need to show the other bonds, brackets, and the n outside, to show that it is a repeat unit.

Reaction score
gary221 said:

the ans is C, but why???

Cuz the 2nd OH represent the carboxylic acid group which is acidic so it will react with NaOH