• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Doubt

Reaction score
October/November 2010
Paper 3
Variant 3
5.b (|V)

What Does the term DIbasic mean?

The Answer is HOOCCH=CHCOOH but i am not able to understand how they got this and can we write this answer in different order like HCOCOH=CHCOOH

Plz Help me
:)

Reaction score
Dibasic contains two hydrogen atoms that can be replaced....

As you can see the empirical formula is CHO.... But in the (iv) part they say ONE mole of acid produces two moles of Hydrogen ions.... Now that empirical formula has only one... So you need to add them up... To make them two... It leads to CHOCHO=CHCOOH... And I guess you can... But only in this CASE...

Reaction score
CaptainDanger said:
Dibasic contains two hydrogen atoms that can be replaced....

As you can see the empirical formula is CHO.... But in the (iv) part they say ONE mole of acid produces two moles of Hydrogen ions.... Now that empirical formula has only one... So you need to add them up... To make them two... It leads to CHOCHO=CHCOOH... And I guess you can... But only in this CASE...

I dont know but i think the structural formulae shuld be related with the molecular formulae which is C4H4O4 and why there is a double bond?

Reaction score
I didn't get your second question? DOUBLE BOND?

And someone else may explain it better than I did.... I am not good at explaining things....!