• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry doubts..ask here!

Reaction score
well, when i did the bio i really benefited from all the questions asked and the answers given
so i thought we could do the same for chemistry..for me chemistry is one of loveliest papers ( ya i know loveliest sounds weird, but its the only word i found suitable bcuz its such a nice paper where examiners don't go crazy or drunk when doing it..lol XD)
so anyway if you have any question ask here ^__^..and lets all help each other

Reaction score
okay, there was this question for the test and result for dilute nitric acid so i wrote :
Test: Add universal indicator solution
Result:Orange colour
Is that correct ? :unknown:

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:
okay, there was this question for the test and result for dilute nitric acid so i wrote :

Dilute implies that it is weaker and thus has a lower acidity. I believe orange or yellow would be correct.. Is the pH known?
Alternatively, if it is the only acid you have to test for from a group, litmus paper would be acceptable, which is easier to describe :)

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them..

I wish everyone the best of luck tomorrow :D

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a doubt
Here is the Link:-http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0620%20-%20Chemistry/0620_s03_qp_6.pdf
Here in Question 4 (f) they are asking about the identity of solid D and i know that it is a sulphate but how to find out if it is a hydrated sulphate or not?

Reaction score
HyDraZin3 said:
Hey guys, i have a doubt
Here is the Link:-http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0620%20-%20Chemistry/0620_s03_qp_6.pdf
Here in Question 4 (f) they are asking about the identity of solid D and i know that it is a sulphate but how to find out if it is a hydrated sulphate or not?

If it is hydrated, when heated condensation would form. As there was condensation formed when heated, it is hydrated.

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:

well in my school we never really use universal indicator unless they ask for it...well you could use damp blue litmus paper it turns it red...
extra: if they are testing if it is an acid or not, you could use an alkaline like sodium carbonate, if it reacts and gives everfessence then it is an acid....

sorry i made a mistake(i wrote sodium hyroxide with nitric acid makes everfessence but ofcourse it can't becuase there is no carbon dioxide released..so i am sorry for that mistake)

Reaction score
can some1 plz help me with appratus names.....paper tommoroow!!!!....plz chemist narutogirl.... :unknown:

Reaction score
skinnyboyfat said:
can some1 plz help me with appratus names.....paper tommoroow!!!!....plz chemist narutogirl.... :unknown:

so here is a file that could help you..i didn't do it, i actually found it on a recent forum here..so no credits
so i hope it helps ^_^ ( btw i don't really like chemistry but chemist narutogirl sounds cool, lol )

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
skinnyboyfat said:

so here is a file that could help you..i didn't do it, i actually found it on a recent forum here..so no credits
so i hope it helps ^_^ ( btw i don't really like chemistry but chemist narutogirl sounds cool, lol )

Thanks for the notes :D
Hopefully Chemistry Paper 6 will be a good one..

I have a couple of questions which I hoped you could answer...
If you half the concentration, but use the same volume as before, half the product will be produced right?
If you half the amount that you are dissolving, the temperature change will fall, as it is less saturated...
What will happen to the rate of reaction in this case though?
If you double the volume of solvent used, will this cause a slower or faster rate of reaction?

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
skinnyboyfat said:

we dont need some of it :)

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
skinnyboyfat said:

that helped a lot...thanks ..btw u dont like chemistry...i think i tollaly know what u mean...see u around

Reaction score
xIshtar said:

If you half the concentration, but use the same volume as before, half the product will be produced right?
If you half the amount that you are dissolving, the temperature change will fall, as it is less saturated...
If you double the volume of solvent used, will this cause a slower or faster rate of reaction?

if u double the solid then temp will rise by double.
if u double the liquid then the temp will decrease by half.(because more water molecule ids present so it absorb the heat)
if half the concentration is used, half the product (as u said :) )
if concentration doubled the rate of reaction will also increase

hope that helped :D

Reaction score
haochen said:
xIshtar said:

if u double the solid then temp will rise by double.
if u double the liquid then the temp will decrease by half.(because more water molecule ids present so it absorb the heat)
if half the concentration is used, half the product (as u said :) )
if concentration doubled the rate of reaction will also increase

Thanks, you helped a lot.. What would the overall effect on the rate of reaction be though. With a lower temperature would it not mean a slower rate?

Reaction score
if the temp is lowered the reaction rate will decrease (exothermic) (depending on the reaction)
if there is an equation , look at it.
if the forward reaction is exothermic, increasing the temp will decrease the rate of reaction.
if the forward reaction is endothermic, increasing the temp will increase the rate of reaction.

for pressure (for reversible reaction only) :
increase the pressure will shift the equilibrium to the low mole side (count the number in front of the symbol only not inside)
decrease the pressure will shift the equilibrium to the high mole side.

Reaction score
haochen said:
if the temp is lowered the reaction rate will decrease (exothermic) (depending on the reaction)
if the forward reaction is exothermic, increasing the temp will decrease the rate of reaction.
if the forward reaction is endothermic, increasing the temp will increase the rate of reaction.

increase the pressure will shift the equilibrium to the low mole side (count the number in front of the symbol only not inside)

Thanks

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
haochen said:

Thanks

ur welcm :D

Reaction score
hey can some one give me the name of a solvent that can be used for chromatography pleasee :D

Reaction score
xIshtar said:
AStarHunter said:

Dilute implies that it is weaker and thus has a lower acidity. I believe orange or yellow would be correct.. Is the pH known?
Alternatively, if it is the only acid you have to test for from a group, litmus paper would be acceptable, which is easier to describe :)

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them..

I wish everyone the best of luck tomorrow :D

no, the pH wasn`t known :unknown: but, is it alright to say universal indicator solution
Oh and thnx for the answer :D