• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P1 and P2 today

Reaction score
Saad I need your help again bro. Answer me whenever youre free coz im sure tomorrow's ur math. I m not familiar with the weightage of individual papers let say i get 58 in my atp 35 in my mcqs and 67 in my p2. Am i eligible for an A*?
The scoring is done as follows: ATP marks are scaled out of 30 so your 58 will be 29/30. Your total marks then add up to 131/145 which is about 90%. CIE keeps Science thresholds below 90% generally so you will have a good chance of an A*

Reaction score
the correct answer to this was that Mg looses 2 electrons and sodium looses 1 electron the more electrons element looses more stable it gets and strong electrostatic forces of attraction is also...

Yeah, just simply mention, that magnesium oxide has greater charge on it's ions and hence a greater electrostatic force of attraction between them.

Reaction score
yeah so wouldnt we

get a mark if we name an oxidising agent and tell that ethanoic acid and water are formed. Basically i wrote about the oxidizing agent, the products and also gave the equation. Would i get 2?

They said describe the method so I think you will only get 1. But nobody can be sure!

Reaction score
Saad I need your help again bro. Answer me whenever youre free coz im sure tomorrow's ur math. I m not familiar with the weightage of individual papers let say i get 58 in my atp 35 in my mcqs and 67 in my p2. Am i eligible for an A*?

According to the normal grading standards (i.e. A* = 90%) you will yes. However, CIE grades candidates according to thresholds which change according to the difficulty of the paper.
Now, in my opinion, I believe that the thresholds could range from 88-92 % for A*, the reason is that P1 was slightly difficult whereas P2 and P4 were easy, which means that there would not be MUCH change in the grading standard. So, yes, you have every chance of getting an A*.

Reaction score
According to the normal grading standards (i.e. A* = 90%) you will yes. However, CIE grades candidates according to thresholds which change according to the difficulty of the paper.
Now, in my opinion, I believe that the thresholds could range from 88-92 % for A*, the reason is that P1 was slightly difficult whereas P2 and P4 were easy, which means that there would not be MUCH change in the grading standard. So, yes, you have every chance of getting an A*.
The scoring is done as follows: ATP marks are scaled out of 30 so your 58 will be 29/30. Your total marks then add up to 131/145 which is about 90%. CIE keeps Science thresholds below 90% generally so you will have a good chance of an A*

Thats good to hear thankyou :)

Reaction score

But P3(practicals) wasn't very easy. There were a no. of weird salt tests, where different students got different observations. And my titration value wasn't very accurate either.:(

Reaction score
But P3(practicals) wasn't very easy. There were a no. of weird salt tests, where different students got different observations. And my titration value wasn't very accurate either.:(
yea man and guess what our lab students didn't get CO2 gas but the students in the other lab got...this was the most annoying thing ever happened with me...how will we know our chemicals are pure or not??...i was not satisfied with the chemistry practical arrangements at all!

Reaction score
u guys are lucky to give atps...there are always the same answers..but in p3 there are variations and u may get contaminated chemicals...furthermore i didnt get a splinter to test the gases though i asked fr it..:cry:

Reaction score
u didnt get the splinter i wasnt given Water which i asked for 20 times even then they didnt gave me :mad: and when i finished my ppr they provided me the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but bro u didnt need water fr the experiments..splinter is so necessary fr testing any gas evolved:(