• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P31

Reaction score
why did i write electrode A for a logical reason for rust u need water & air .. air is 21% oxygen & if u have noticed under electrode A there is a direct supply of oxygen & there surrounding water therefore electrode A will rust more .. then it will fall off (get thinner)

Reaction score
why did i write electrode A for a logical reason for rust u need water & air .. air is 21% oxygen & if u have noticed under electrode A there is a direct supply of oxygen & there surrounding water therefore electrode A will rust more .. then it will fall off (get thinner)
that's the reason i put A tttoooo.

Reaction score
Again,that question..The question was exactly like this
yWo7Cr.png

In both cases,electrolysis and cell,the cathode is where a REDCUTION reaction takes place and anode is where oxidation takes place.
In case of electrolysis,the anode is positive and cathode is negative.
The opposite occurs in a cell,where the more reactive metal loses electrons so it the negative pole and therefore ANODE.
Here there were no metals but the electrons flow was clearly shown,and the question stated
"Which electrode will be oxidized and decrease in mass"
Electrode B,Loses electrons ,dissolve in the solution as ions and its mass decreases(This actually ressembles electroplating where the ANODE loses electrons and change into ions.
While Electrode A,also decreases in mass but due to reaction with oxygen..This electrons compensate those lost in the reaction with oxygen which is A REDOX REACTION.